• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California Open Carry Logo

Should we develop a California Open Carry logo?

• Total voters

inbox485

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
Could you make the belt/holster some shade of gray (50% might do nicely). My first look at this and I thought the bear got cut in half by some crazy lumberjack.
[SNIP]

My wife said the same thing. So, here's the belt/holster in gray.

COCDraft3a.jpg

Here is what I was thinking for the holster placement. (attached)

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

inbox485 wrote:
Here's what I had in mind:

Afewthings about the thigh holster arrangement:

1. It just looks like it would fall off. Even a tactical thigh set-up has an upper loop through the belt above the hip.
  2. The bear going left makes him a southpaw. Bad ju-ju.
  3. Everyone knows a bear has to stand on his hind quarters to draw his weapon. When he does, he is not anatomically capable of reaching a weapon on his thigh. Here's the formula to prove this: B^4=SQRT(pi x A3)
:p

inbox485

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
inbox485 wrote:
Here's what I had in mind:

A few things about the thigh holster arrangement:

1. It just looks like it would fall off. Even a tactical thigh set-up has an upper loop through the belt above the hip.
  2. The bear going left makes him a southpaw. Bad ju-ju.
  3. Everyone knows a bear has to stand on his hind quarters to draw his weapon. When he does, he is not anatomically capable of reaching a weapon on his thigh. Here's the formula to prove this: B^4=SQRT(pi x A3)
:p

1. Visually I like the gun pointed down in any case. A gun pointed down has a connotation of peace whereas a gun with a level barrel has a connotation of violence.
2. The bear always faces left on the California flag. What is wrong with south paws?
3. Now you're just being silly.

inbox485

imported post

SouthBayr wrote:
One point I'd like to make, is if you plan on trademarking the logo it shouldn't contain any other trademarked item ie. the California flag/bear.

I always thought that making distinct modifications to national and state flags has been fair game for trademarking.

Nopal

imported post

I think you all have the rigth idea, except that everybody knows bears prefer to carry revolvers, large caliber revolvers. Your average semi-auto's caliber just isn't adequate bear defense. :p

And about the bear being a Southpaw, well, it is a left coast bear after all.

Nopal

imported post

OK, here it is.

Firearm pointing downward, right-handed bear using a cross-draw holster where it could actually reach the gun, and my personal favorite:packinga revolver.

packin_bear-1.jpg

inbox485

imported post

Nopal wrote:
OK, here it is.

Firearm pointing downward, right-handed bear using a cross-draw holster where it could actually reach the gun, and my personal favorite: Packing a revolver.

I'd shift the belt back to the hind quarter so that the gun is at about a 45^ angle. Also, I liked having more contrast than the black on brown. Perhaps a grey tone?

That and perhaps there should be a separate poll on the slogan. I like all of them, but eventually one would have to be selected.

coolusername2007

imported post

Don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but I don't care for the bear all that much. Regardless, I would caution you to make sure you're creating a logo and not a banner or flag. Its very easy to incorporate a logo into a flag, banner, brochure, etc., but its much harder to incorporate a flag into a logo.

Since nobody posted positive reviews of myshield design,I kind of like the blue ring with revolver in fist. I would make the revolver and fist a solid color instead of a pattern fill though. My initial concern with this design is that it seemed angry, an emotion which is often portrayed with a clinched fist. It would be nice to see variations of this design.

Another suggestion would be to think in terms of store front window stickers that any store owner would have no problems posting right next to the VISA,MC,AMEX stickers on the front windows and doors.

Remember a good logo can be used with a number of slogans. Slogans are tag lines to logos, not integral to them.

attachment.php

Captain_Awesome

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
heres another spin on my original, im kind of stuck on it now and trying to think of something new. ill just keep throwing them out there for opinions.

uocgundownpeg.jpg
I think coolusername is right about the bear thing, they look a bit too much like a flag. I'm surprised noone's mentioned anything about the bear cavalry yet, haha.

So far I think this one, from dirtykoala, is my favorite. It has California and it has a gun. Simple and easily recognizable. I tried zooming out and zooming in - it's easy to recognize even small/from far away.

I was also thinking this as a modification of one of dirtykoala's earlier ones. I had to make it an attachment. I should get an account with photobucket or something, I know.

I have to say, I still like the one above.

wewd

imported post

The colors need to be changed. Dark blue and red are impossible for some colorblind people to make out. I brightened the colors and outlined the gun to separate them.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I voted no on creating a 'California Open Carry" logo.

While fun to entertain, we have not yet established a coheasive group and the lack therof makes a logo something of an anachronism.

Its like making a flag for a nation that doesnt exist.

On that note, the bear flag depicting an armed bear is hysterical- particularly where the pistol is positioned where his 'junk' should be. Not an image I want to project in the advocacy of open carry.

inbox485

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I voted no on creating a 'California Open Carry" logo.

While fun to entertain, we have not yet established a coheasive group and the lack therof makes a logo something of an anachronism.

I guess I fail to see the problem. Besides, it's fun to brainstorm and having a few logo ideas on the table (or on flyers for that matter) can't really hurt anything.

Its like making a flag for a nation that doesnt exist.

Which is exactly what many groups have done before they were nations. I liked the bear flag because of it's role in CA's revolt against Mexico. The bear is a symbol of standing up and fighting for your rights. In some of the bear flags, the bear is standing upright symbolizing a state of aggression. I figured having the bear in it's calm pose as on the current flag with a holstered handgun would be symbolic of pushing back against tyranny in a non violent manner.

On that note, the bear flag depicting an armed bear is hysterical- particularly where the pistol is positioned where his 'junk' should be. Not an image I want to project in the advocacy of open carry.

I must have missed that picture.
Comments in bold.

coolusername2007

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
i turned my logo into a windown decal and put it on one of my cars for you guys to see. i think its important to keep in mind that our logo should work as a plain white window decal.

porscheopenpeg.jpg
Actually as an all white logo it looks pretty good on the dark background. Maybe a red state (representative of the republic we should be) and a white gun (representative of what's needed to preserve the republic).