• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CALLING ALL M-1911 FREAKS!!

Alexcabbie

imported post

SO, I was sitting here waiting for 0930 tomorrow because the *&^%^&*!$ Brady Check in VA is as slow as a retarded possum, and entertaining myself by noodling around on "You Tube" when I came across a few vidss of the old "Sky King" show I used to love so much as a kid. Turns out Kirby Grant (the star) was born in 1911. Boy I didn't think he was THAT old.

Also, Lucille Ball. And as a bonus ( and oddly relevant ) Blanche Barrow, Clyde's sister in law, was also born in that year. You remember how Blanche was portrayed in the movie : Always running around screaming like an anti who had just seen....A 1911 !:celebrate

Just thought you all might enjoy the coinccidence....

AC

rodbender

imported post

IIRC John Moses Browningpatented the 1911 in 1898. I think Colt bought the patent and started manufacturing them in 1911. Hence Model 1911.Not sure.

architect

imported post

rodbender wrote:
IIRC John Moses Browningpatented the 1911 in 1898. I think Colt bought the patent and started manufacturing them in 1911. Hence Model 1911.Not sure.
Actually, the M1911 designation refers to the year of the US Military's adoption of the design. It is arguable that it would still be as popular and even in active production if the military hadn't done so, thus I think it is quite fitting to schedule a big centennial party for Tuesday March 29, 2011!