• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

some understanding

rentamedic

imported post

HI to all of you

I plan on come to OH in dec i have a CDW from ky and haveing a hard time.

With the laws up there what i would like to know is can i CDW in a restaurant that sales beer? Try not to get my self in any trouble on my vist there

any help on the laws would be great

have a good day sorry about my spelling been a long week at work

dupree187

imported post

As of right now that is still a big NO NO in our lovely ridiculously over law'ed little state:banghead: :banghead::banghead:.....I really wish that lawmakers would realize that just because I am in a restaurant with my family that serves beer, I still have the right to protect them and myself. Hopefully soon someday this will change.

jabeatty

Columbia Township (Cincinnati), Ohio, USA
imported post

Someone could open up the can of worms... heck, why not me? :)

Ohio's statutes differentiate between "liquor" and "beer." The relevant statute prohibits carry of firearms in a D-permitted establishment (that is not a grocery store) where liquor is being consumed.

The statute doesn't say "where beer is being consumed."

Could you count on your trusty local LEO to know the difference? I doubt it. Could you count on your slimy local prosecutor or his buddy on the bench to know - or -care - about the difference? Not bloody likely...

jabeatty

Columbia Township (Cincinnati), Ohio, USA
imported post

rentamedic wrote:
thank you guess that is why i like ky so much any thing you think i should know before i come up that way?
Since you have a "CDW," if you're "stopped for a law enforcement purpose," you're required to tell the stopping LEO if you're carrying a firearm. Do so immediately, even if it seems impolite.

Don't say "I have a gun!" Something like "I have a Kentucky CDW and I'm carrying a handgun; I understand that Ohio law requires me to tell you this."

justherenow

imported post

Even if a rest area (not one with a visitors center) is posted, you can still carry, those signs should all be gone, but just in case. In the event of one with a visitors center, its a gray area from what I am told and would not personally risk carrying (unless its 3am and the visitors center part is closed and I just cant wait to get somewhere to pee):celebrate

Brian D.

imported post

Thought a couple of the others nailed your question pretty good, but I'll give it a go-round now since you still seem puzzled, rentamedic:

In Ohio, you cannot carry your firearm in an establishment that sells "liquor"** for on-the-premises consumption. That would include the restaurant example you gave. It would NOT include a place like a gas station that sells alcoholic beverages which you must go drink someplace else, off their property. You'd be, literally, "good to go" (pun intended) carrying in places like that.

**Ohio defines 'liquor' seperately from 'beer' but as jabeatty says, no one really wants to be the test case for thisstrangecontradiction in the state laws, whichI think is some language left over from many years ago. Don't ask me to go into details on that, it would take too long, okay?