• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun on a public street?

buster81

imported post

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/elderly-victim-shoots-would-be-robber-24-police-say-307806.html
Elderly victim shoots would-be robber, 24, police say
Staff Report Updated 11:16 PM Saturday, September 19, 2009

DAYTON — A 24-year-old man who allegedly got out of his car and tried to rob an elderly man at gunpoint was shot by the would-be victim, who was licensed to carry a concealed weapon and fired to defend himself, police said.

The younger man was shot twice on Saturday, Sept. 19, and was taken to Miami Valley Hospital, where he was under guard, Dayton police Sgt. Damon Castor said. The gunshot injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, Castor said.

“Apparently he was trying to rob the older gentleman of something,” Castor said of the younger man. “He picked on the wrong person.”

The would-be victim, in his 70s, was not injured, Castor said. The confrontation took place at West Third Street and Brooklyn Avenue in west Dayton, police said.

It was not clear whether the alleged attacker was trying to steal the older man’s car or money, Castor said.

No charges had been filed Saturday. Police are investigating.

usaf0906

imported post

Ilike how they arent accepting user comments on this article.

Reading this article has made me think of something though. Might it be better and help deter crime, if these bad guys that get shot in a SD situation, dont die? Sure there might be a few "hardcore" criminals, but I think if a young hoodlum got a "wake up" call like this, he could tell people in his cell, his friends would know, etc.

just my random musing.

1245A Defender

imported post

i cant wait for HankT to chime in about how that old guy was carrying so he could have his "IEO" impromptue excecution opertunity!

that old guy will have to regret for the rest of his life that he almost killed his attacker!

there would have been a lot less paper work in the long run, if hed just given the BG his money and or car.

lawfully armed citizens just cause too much trouble. going around standing up to criminals.

architect

imported post

cbackous wrote:
Might it be better and help deter crime, if these bad guys that get shot in a SD situation, dont die? Sure there might be a few "hardcore" criminals, but I think if a young hoodlum got a "wake up" call like this, he could tell people in his cell, his friends would know, etc.
I doubt it matters, anyone with half a brain who thinks about it for just a minute understands that crime has a very high risk/reward ratio, no almost-no-longer-living testimony is necessary. The problem is, the BG's think the bad stuff, getting caught/shot/whatever, is going to happen to some other guy. Funny, it's the same with the anti's.

TriCityOC

imported post

I have to wonder...Was this man targeted because he was elderly and presumed to be a weak and easy target? If so, would OC have prevented this attack by presenting a target that is prepared to defend himself?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I would prefer the jail bird let us know how he got outdrawn?

He isn't going to tell his cell mates about the dangers of robbing people
because he would also have to tell them how a 70 year old outdrew
him in the mugging. Then he spends all his time staring at the shower
floor wishing he kept his mouth shut.

Not having the DA hang charges on you is a good enough outcome for me.
Just wish there was a way to stop a victims tax money from being used
to pay for removal of bullets from the attacker.
"Can't pay the doc, don't get shot":lol:

TheMrMitch

imported post

The bad guy WILL relish telling *HIS* version of being shot.

He will spin and twist the story to his fellow hugmates to the point that he becomes a legend in his own mind. UNLESS.....there is a tougher hugmate in his cell who has a better story, then he'll have to settle for being #2.

I know this is so.

buster81

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
i cant wait for HankT to chime in about how that old guy was carrying so he could have his "IEO" impromptue excecution opertunity!
+1. I can't wait to hear the postulate regurgitated again.

wayneco

imported post

i cant wait for HankT to chime in about how that old guy was carrying so he could have his "IEO"  impromptue excecution opertunity! 

From all I've read, I have come to believe the T stands for troll.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

wayneco wrote:
No charges have been filed? Not even against the robber?
Generally, criminal charges are not filed against hospitalized persons until they are released. This saves the applicable county the legal responsibility of providing for that person's medical care during the otherwise applicable detention period.

jay75009

imported post

sadly thats not the case, i spent a weekend in jail on a false charge, most criminals would make up some big story of how he was shot in a driveby or some crap, hes not gonna tell other criminals he got shot by a week feeble old man lol

jay75009

imported post

that old guy will have to regret for the rest of his life that he almost killed his attacker!

there would have been a lot less paper work in the long run, if hed just given the BG his money and or car.

lawfully armed citizens just cause too much trouble. going around standing up to criminals.
lot of paperwork hehe

churchmouse

imported post

well if he is in his 70's there's couple of reasons he knew what to do

1. he problately served in the service and was taught how to shoot

2. problataly also a "tough " old guy who wasn't in timadated by some young kid