• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

field strip highpoint c-9

Ezrider

imported post

I made a video of how to field strip a highpoint c-9 pistol because I have heard people say you can't do it you have to send it in for cleaning. I have heard people say highpoint will void your warranty if you break it down yourself and all kinds of other comments regarding this. I talked to highpoint they said by all means if you don't feel comfortable breaking it down yourself to send it in but breaking it down yourself will not void the warranty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFsWCBz-Yfs

Decoligny

imported post

Ezrider wrote:
I made a video of how to field strip a highpoint c-9 pistol because I have heard people say you can't do it you have to send it in for cleaning. I have heard people say highpoint will void your warranty if you break it down yourself and all kinds of other comments regarding this. I talked to highpoint they said by all means if you don't feel comfortable breaking it down yourself to send it in but breaking it down yourself will not void the warranty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFsWCBz-Yfs
Hi-Point WILL NOT void a warranty for ANY reason. If you take your Hi-Point and cut it into pieces on a bandsaw, they will still honor the warranty. Just send in the pieces and they will build a new gun around the serial number insert and send it back to you.

Decoligny

imported post

Il_Douche wrote:
I'm more concerned that there are people who'll buy a Hi-Point.
Have you ever shot a Hi-Point?

Ever even held a Hi-Point?

I own a C-9 and a Baretta. I like the C-9 better. It is ugly. It is inexpensive. It shoots accurately. It shoots reliably.

I have a friend who has at least 40 high end guns. He likes to shoot my Hi-Point.

Gun snobs are just people who like to brag that what they have is better because it costs more. An $800 gun may be "better" but the Hi-Point gets the job done.

Hi-Point is to Kimber as Chevy is to Mercedes.

If someone who drives a Mercedessaid "I more concerned that there are people who'll buy a Chevy"it would only show that they are a shallow person who is more concerned with appearance and social status than with being able to afford a car.

Same thing with Hi-Point. It works, it's affordable, I would (and do) trust my life toit being dependable.

PayMeNow

imported post

Once I buffed the ramp feed of mine with a Dremmel, the thing worked fantastic, no more jamming. Still ugly and clunky, but a great shooter. Cleaning is a PITA, but for the price.....

Ezrider

imported post

I am going to respond to a few of you in this reply. First off i know there is a lot of highpoint haters out there and this will be the only response to you. The only jams I have ever had with this gun is 3, running 2 boxes of wolf threw it. It is a very smooth and well operating pistol. The best value gun I have ever bought. It is heavy, bulky and ugly and breakdown is a little harder than the average semi auto. It is a great little shooter very reliable and as accurate as any semi auto in the same barrel length.

catass they weapon was safety checked before I even started the video and when I started it. It never left my hands or my sight. There was about as much chance of shooting myself as an alien from planet zonk stopping by and asking me to make him a cheese burger while I was doing this. In all seriousness though check, check and re check before dissembling this firearm because it will require a lot of handling to break down. If you walk away from it during this process check it again before you start back up.

I have not buffed the feed ramp on mine. It feeds flawlessly, some people have had to do it I have not. I have put around 2000 rounds threw mine and the coating is worn off of the feed ramp where the nose of the round travels up it but, even when the gun was new i had no issues.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Ezrider wrote:
catass they weapon was safety checked before I even started the video and when I started it. It never left my hands or my sight. There was about as much chance of shooting myself as an alien from planet zonk stopping by and asking me to make him a cheese burger while I was doing this. In all seriousness though check, check and re check before dissembling this firearm because it will require a lot of handling to break down. If you walk away from it during this process check it again before you start back up.
I did see you make a conformation of an empty magwell and chamber in the video. Kudos to you. However, breaking two, of the four, cardinal firearms safety rules is asking for an accident further down the road.

As I mentioned, you swept yourself with the muzzle numerous times. You've just admitted that you're treating the gun differently when it's unloaded as opposed to having a round in the chamber. That breaks the "never let the muzzle cross anything you're not willing to destroy," rule, as well as the "treat all guns as if they're always loaded," rule. The more I analyze it, you're also breaking the "be sure of your target and what's beyond it," rule, with you lack of muzzle discipline.

This isn't a bash on you personally, just something to make you think about, with hopes you may handle the gun safer in the future. When I'm cleaning my firearms, even though I've checked multiple times for an empty chamber, the four cardinal rules still apply.

Ezrider

imported post

catass wrote:
Ezrider wrote:
I did see you make a conformation of an empty magwell and chamber in the video. Kudos to you. However, breaking two, of the four, cardinal firearms safety rules is asking for an accident further down the road.

As I mentioned, you swept yourself with the muzzle numerous times. You've just admitted that you're treating the gun differently when it's unloaded as opposed to having a round in the chamber. That breaks the "never let the muzzle cross anything you're not willing to destroy," rule, as well as the "treat all guns as if they're always loaded," rule. The more I analyze it, you're also breaking the "be sure of your target and what's beyond it," rule, with you lack of muzzle discipline.

This isn't a bash on you personally, just something to make you think about, with hopes you may handle the gun safer in the future. When I'm cleaning my firearms, even though I've checked multiple times for an empty chamber, the four cardinal rules still apply.
You are correct, I did break the rules. I am not going to say that is right. however I never assume an gun is empty and follow these rules when picking up a gun or handling it in a normal manner. In the case in this video the highpoint is an more difficult weapon to break down and requires some extra man handling. Most of my other guns just require that you push in the spring retainer and pull back and up on the slide and they come apart. much easier to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, without ever sweeping the gun across yourself. The video was to show the steps involved to break down the highpoint because it intimidates most people to do so. If you would like when I get a few extra minuets I can re-make the video following the rules so as to not pass any bad habits onto someone else

edit: i have edited some notations into the video also while doing so i noticed that most of the times that i swept the muzzle across myself it was because i was trying to show the camera what it was that i was doing

Decoligny

imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
Why yes, I have.

In fact, I held no opinion on them until I did.

So, exactly what is your CONCERN with Hi-Point?

Did one blow up in your hands? Did it not function properly? Or was it just not to your liking?

I know people who have fired high end guns and had them jam. I have even seen pictures of catastrophic failure on +$1,000 firearms.

Some Hi-Points jam until the feed ramp gets polished, some don't ever jam. Some jam because the shooter limp wrists the gun.

Nobody has been able to show me any evidence of a Hi-Point ever having a catastrophic failure, just lots of talk about "I had a friend who knew a guy whose cousin worked with a guy who's brother-in-law's boss lost his hand when a Hi-Point blew up.

If you simply have a dislike for the way a Hi-Point feels in your hand, or the way it looks, then just say you don't like the gun. Don't come out with how you are CONCERNED about somone buying a Hi-Point.

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

I just don't like the gun, and I'm concerned the same way I am when someone orders a fish fry instead of something I personally enjoy when we're out to dinner. It's more of a concern of taste than actual concern.

For the record, I have a Hi-Point 995 carbine, 9mm. The only flaw with it, aside from it being ugly as a yeti's mother, is the bolt carrier was never properly tapped to allow the charging handle to be attached, so I have to use a metal punch or screwdriver to charge a round (Until I get off my ass and send it in to be taken care of)

It's a fun little pistol cartridge carbine, but I still feel I overpaid at $160. For even cheaper, more fun shooting, I picked up a Ceiner .22LR kit for my AR15 for about $200 around the same time.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

I always get a chuckle at the folks who look down their noses at some firearm manufacturers. Yes, there have been some pure junk out there like jennings and raven but you don't see much of them anymore. Hi-point isn't among them. Are they ugly? Yes. Clunky? Yes. But they're reliable and the manufacturer stands behind them. I don't own one but have shot several and wouldn't mind having the carbine. I was at a gunshow once helping a friend look for his first handgun. I commented on a particular make that he asked about as being quite nice but way overpriced for what you get. Some mouth-breather standing next to me (not the vendor, mind you) became indignant saying that he had three such models. He then pulled out that old "when your life depends on it, it doesn't matter how much it costs" line. I smiled and asked him what he drives? When he answered some glorfied enclosed-riding-lawnmower-excuse-for-a-car, I said "so you obviously don't really believe what you just said. If you did, you'd drive a Mercedes, Volvo, BMW or the like because, after all, "when your life depends on it, it doesn't matter what it costs" ,right? You just use that line to keep your wife and family in danger every time you go out in traffic so you can feel better spending more money on your status symbol toys to feed your weak self-image".

It was shortly after that that he was removed from the venue for disrupting the event.

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

I just don't like things I don't like. Nothing more to it than that.

I carry a Glock, drive a Civic, ride a Yamaha, my dog's a lab, my TV's Vizio, my hobby's Lego, my D&D campaign setting of choice is Forgotten Realms.

It's all just personal preference. Take it or leave it.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
I just don't like things I don't like. Nothing more to it than that.

I carry a Glock, drive a Civic, ride a Yamaha, my dog's a lab, my TV's Vizio, my hobby's Lego, my D&D campaign setting of choice is Forgotten Realms.

It's all just personal preference. Take it or leave it.

That I can understand and respect. I'm the same way about most things.

I don't like S&W semi-autos. They just don't "fit" or feel natural in my hands. I'm sure they're nice enough guns but as Il Duce said, "I just don't like them". The ones who make me shake my head are those who just say "it's junk because it's inexpensive" as a means of justifying something more expensive. It's pretty similar to Harley riders who look down on anything not-Harley.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

This is an ugly gun.

But, hey, ifit works good....

HI-POINT_C9_2_-600x451.jpg

marine77

imported post

Il_Duce wrote:
Why yes, I have.

In fact, I held no opinion on them until I did.

+1 So why would a person want it? My Glock 17 i've had for as many years can't be

beat, goes bang every time i pull the trigger, and a whole hell of a lot easier to field

strip than that p. o. s.

rmansu2

imported post

I agree. They are ugly. My concerns are less with how it looks or the way you handled your firearm and more with method. A hammer and screw driver? Did Hi-point tell you to do that?

If I need a hammer to dismantle a firearm, I don't want that firearm.

PavePusher

imported post

To everyone who has ever thought a particular gun to be ugly...

That model will be ugly right up 'til the day it saves your life. After that, all others are boat anchors and artificial reef material...

And I hope that's the last word we ever see here again about 'ugly' guns.