• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"newbie" with a question... so be easy OK?

KyDaystar

imported post

I am new to these boards, but very glad to have found it, and I appreciate the answers i have already received. I live in Western Kentucky, near Owensboro.

I am a member of the NRA, and have just obtained my cc permit within the last year. I am also an avid hunter, and love the outdoors.

I was not sure if my question was legit to post on here, but I thought I would try..thanks again for the replies. I have registered firearms, but I also have a few that i have been given, or passed down from the family line, and I wondered if I could ever carry them also.... hence the question.

Always room to learn more...........................

mellio

imported post

Welcome to the forum. You actually do not have any "registered" guns because there is no gun registration in Kentucky. Theform 4473you filled out when you bought your guns was just a record for the dealer keep .You did the NCIS instant background check but that is not a registration either.
According to Wiki.........These forms are given the same status as a tax return under the Privacy Act of 1974 and cannot be disclosed to private parties or government officials without a proper warrant. Dealers are required to maintain completed forms for 20 years in the case of completed sales and 5 years where the sale was denied by the NICS check coming back disapproved or other disqualifying information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_4473

Stophel

imported post

mellio wrote:
Theform 4473you filled out when you bought your guns was just a record for the dealer keep .You did the NCIS instant background check but that is not a registration either.
No, I'm afraid they are a registration. The NCIS checks are kept for an indeterminate time for "accounting purposes" (notice how the criminal check wants to know the type of gun, caliber, serial number, etc???? What difference could that make just for a criminal background check?), and the 4473 forms are to be turned in to the ATF any time they ask, and after a dealer closes down, up to so many years after, I don't recall anymore.

mellio

imported post

Stophel wrote:
mellio wrote:
Theform 4473you filled out when you bought your guns was just a record for the dealer keep .You did the NCIS instant background check but that is not a registration either.
No, I'm afraid they are a registration. The NCIS checks are kept for an indeterminate time for "accounting purposes" (notice how the criminal check wants to know the type of gun, caliber, serial number, etc???? What difference could that make just for a criminal background check?), and the 4473 forms are to be turned in to the ATF any time they ask, and after a dealer closes down, up to so many years after, I don't recall anymore.
I understand what your saying. For the .gov to Keep a record of a sale or keeping a record of a background check may seem like a registration but it is not. If you choose to sell the gun there is no record that must be kept buy you nor is there any tranfer record what so ever that youmust keep. The same is true if you buy a gun. You do not have to keep a paper trail if you don't want to. I would say a vast majority of guns owned in KY are not owned by the person who bought the gun from a dealer and can not be traced from the original purchaser to the current owner without a lot of police leg work at least. The correct answer to the OP question is that there is no registration in KY and he does not have to worry about carrying an unregistered gun.