• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10 Basic gun safety rules! Know them and practice them before you carry!!!

autosurgeon

imported post

Gun Safety Rules
Ten Basic Gun Safety Rules for Safe Firearms Use
By Russ Chastain, About.com

Guns go bang. That's what they do. They are used safely millions upon millions of times every year, but the potential for injury and death is always there. For this reason, we need to follow basic safety rules at all times when handling firearms, including handguns like revolvers and pistols, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, airguns, etc.

1. Assume That Any Gun, at Any Time, is Loaded.
When someone tells you a gun is not loaded, that's fine - but don't believe it until you see it for yourself. If you offend your buddy by checking a gun after he's told you it's unloaded, then so be it. Better safe than dead. Make it a habit to check no matter what. This is a very important habit to get into..

2. Always Point a Gun in a Safe Direction.
This one should be self-explanatory. It is the bedrock of all gun safety, and is the most important rule. Another way to say it, which Dad taught me many years ago, is, "Never point a gun at anything you're not willing to shoot.".

3. Keep Your Finger off the Trigger.
This is something I see way too often. Some doofus will have his or her finger on the trigger of a gun they are simply carrying, looking down the sights of, etc. Don't do it! Keep that finger outside the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot, and after shooting, move it back out of the trigger guard. And please don't be offended that I used the term "doofus" if you have been guilty of this, because I have been a doofus before, too..

4. Know What You're Shooting at.
Your target is whatever you have decided to shoot. And - this is extremely important - it must be a conscious decision when you shoot something. Don't get lax about this. You need to know what you are going to shoot at, what is between you and it, and what is beyond it. Pay attention..

5. Be Familiar With Your Gun.
Take the time to learn about the operation and features of the firearm you are planning to use. The time to learn this is not while you are shooting... that is when you need to be learning about grip, shooting positions, trigger control, etc. When you step up to the firing line, you should already know how to operate the gun you'll be shooting..

6. Don't Shoot at Hard Surfaces (Including Water).
Water might not seem like a hard surface, but its density makes it pretty dangerous. It has a tendency to allow bullets and shotgun shot to ricochet (glance off) and fly off in an unintended direction. Not good. Hard surfaces like metal, rocks, and hard wood can do this too - and they can even send the projectile back to the shooter, which can be hard on a feller, because shooting oneself, even indirectly, can be a pretty nasty experience..

7. Don't Rely on a Safety Mechanism.
Many guns have a safety device to prevent the gun from firing. These are often reliable, but not always. And some guns have even been known to fire when the safety is released, most notably Remington bolt-action centerfire rifles, which naturally leads to the conclusion that safety mechanisms are often useful, but not completely reliable. Use the safety, but don't count on it! Continue to follow the number one rule: Always keep the gun pointed somewhere safe..

8. Load Your Gun When You Need to.
Some, including the NRA, will tell you to keep every gun unloaded until you're ready to fire it. This is not a sensible rule, because guns used for hunting and defense purposes will be needed in a hurry whenever they are needed, and there is no time to be messing around loading your gun when you need it to save your life, or to take the game you're hunting. If you need your gun for defense from human or animal attackers and it's not loaded, it becomes a liability rather than a benefit, and your safety goes down the tubes. So load your gun, and handle it responsibly..

9. Use the Right Ammo.
Make certain the ammunition you're using is right for your gun. Just because the ammo can be crammed into the gun, don't assume it's the right stuff for that popper. The groceries you feed your gun need to match up with the gun's design and strength factors. This is usually marked on the gun. If you have any doubt, contact the gun's manufacturer or a qualified gunsmith..

10. Pay Attention!
It's easy to get distracted when you're having fun, and target shooting can be a lot of fun, especially if you're enjoying it with friends and family. Take extra care to follow safe gun handling rules, and don't be afraid to correct others when you see them improperly handling firearms. They may not like it, but all participants must follow gun safety rules if everyone is to come home safe and sound. And that's what we always want to see!

Wglide90

imported post

Great start! We should make this a sticky and include itas " A must read and practice" thing to attend functions and to just be responsible at all times.

Also we could encourage folks to input their experiences and practices for their make of gun so we get a log of all types that might have either past or currentsafety issues or certain things to do to make safe during loading/unloading & handling.

I'll input that my S&W M&P 40c has no safeties at all except the trigger safety. My practice is to always pay attention to my trigger finger (and others)that it is not in the trigger guard and will not accidentally get in there when unloading (racking the slide motion). It's a stiff finger out of contact with gun type of thing that I do conciously. Then I look to make sure it is empty, more than once.

I do dry fire after ensuring unloaded, when unloading when I do take-down for cleaning and when I reassemble it.

As I stated in the thread that got this one going, if you don't feel comfortable carrying a loaded (one in pipe) gun you shouldn't be carrying (IMO). Learn to be comfortable with it loaded by taking training coarses and practice.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

It should also be put in a more national location, not just for Michigan.

There should also be a rule added that states:

"Never operate your firearm while under the influence of any mind altering substance, including but not limited to illegal drugs, perscription drugs, alcohol etc etc" (someone else can write it, i'm not feeling very literal today.)

Michigander

imported post

I've been thinking we should make a video for youtube about all the things you should consider with gear when outfitting yourself to OC, or deciding to OC with the stuff you might already have.

Different types of guns and how they can be safely used, different types of holsters, and the benefits and downsides of them. I haven't seen a general info movie on selecting a carry gun, or the proper and safe means to carry the pistol you have. It's something we could easily do with a meeting where everyone brings a bunch of gear to show in the movie.

All we'd need is a good size building with enough space for a big table and a camera.

Yooper

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
I'll input that my S&W M&P 40c has no safeties at all except the trigger safety. My practice is to always pay attention to my trigger finger (and others)that it is not in the trigger guard and will not accidentally get in there when unloading (racking the slide motion). It's a stiff finger out of contact with gun type of thing that I do conciously. Then I look to make sure it is empty, more than once.
I'm sure you're like me. KNOWING that if you mistakenly put your finger on the trigger, IT WILL go bang (no "safety" to save you if you make a mistake), I have learned to NEVER put my finger near the trigger until I'm on target. before and after the shots are taken, my index finger is extended along the slide.

I even, when reholstering my glock, make SURE that my clothing won't snag and pull the trigger. I think everyone's first gun should be a glock / XD, with the information that there is really NO safety, and if you make the slightest mistake someone will get hurt. I know when I got my glock I'd check, re-check, re-re-check to make sure the thing was unloaded, and was super conscious of what (clothing, hoster strap etc) was near the trigger when holstering.

autosurgeon

imported post

I really like my Taurus BC it has memory pads on the frame. It gives me a place to keep my finger that I know is safe!

On my CZ I made a memory point with a dimple punch before I re blued it!

myusername

imported post

When I reholster a 1911 or XD I put my thumb on the slide rear which engages the grip safety so that I don't have to worry as much about the trigger getting caught and pulled. holstering a Glock requires some extra caution for this reason! Still, I like the fact that when you take an XD or a glock out of the holster with the intent to use it, you don't have to wonder if its going to fire, the act of retrieving it and getting it on target also deactivates the safeties. Great features for a self defense pistol

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Proposed rule for all OC functions:

If you are observed being an idiot with a firearm at anytime during a function, you will be pummeled by those surrounding you, your weapon confiscated and sold for ammunition to be shared amongst the group, and you will be responsible for cleanup duty at every upcoming function for the next year. Your attendance to the function indicates your agreement to this, and further you agree not to seek any legal charges against your pummelers.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Yet another reason I love my XD, I practice both draws.. When I'm shooting, combat grip ready to roll. When I'm drawing for any other reason, I place my thumb basically on the rear sights, covering the firing pin indicator, as to not engage the grip safety. I still follow the other rules, and don't rely on this too heavily, but it is nice to know that its not engaged.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Anyone in construction can practice good trigger finger discipline all day at work. Every day I use an air nailer, I have a stiff and straight index finger until the nailer is on the work. Those "guns" can do damage, too.

Yooper

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Proposed rule for all OC functions:

If you are observed being an idiot with a firearm at anytime during a function, you will be pummeled by those surrounding you, your weapon confiscated and sold for ammunition to be shared amongst the group, and you will be responsible for cleanup duty at every upcoming function for the next year. Your attendance to the function indicates your agreement to this, and further you agree not to seek any legal charges against your pummelers.
Sell the gun to add some $$$ to the legal defense fund, to be used for those who get harassed by police.