• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah gov supports stricter concealed gun permits

bmeldrum

imported post

Found this to be interesting:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8054891

September 25th, 2009 @ 10:31am
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Utah Gov. Gary Herbert says he doesn't want his state to be a national clearinghouse for concealed weapons permits.
In the fiscal year that ended in June, just over 50 percent of the state's concealed weapons applicants were from outside Utah.
Utah's permit is considered one of the most valuable in the country because it is accepted in nearly three dozen states.
Herbert told reporters during a taping of his monthly KUED news conference that will air Friday night he's concerned about the state's ability to track permit holders outside of Utah.
In Utah, law enforcement officials continually check criminal records against a list of permit holders, but they don't have the ability to do the same thing with every other state.
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Pedman

imported post

This is what I do not get...

If other states accept our permits within their own state and the BCI can effectively validate those from other states through a background check, then why not? Now if they (BCI) can not monitor the permit holder outside of Utah, but they can in Utah, then this seems a bit off. - I expect comments on this...

I would expect that as soon as we start limiting the permits to Utah then we will close the 'borders' for Utahn's in other states. The next Nevada coming...

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Anybody want to claim this XD? :p

Ironic, an open carry photo in a concealed carry story.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8054891

14571625.jpg

When will everyone learn that the only way to fix all of this "concealed permit drama" is to decriminalize the practice? :banghead:

Francis Marion

imported post

The Governor may issue his opinion but the state legislature is the organization that makes law. This past session shows that our legislature is looking in the right direction; this very issue was brought up but never passed committee.

We need to continue to support our state legislators who have been actively moving our rights back to legality and find more people to join them. This is one of the reasons I decided to run for office.

Identify the sponsors of SB 78 and HB 357 and support their upcoming campaigns. Then click your way to my site at http://www.votefidler.org and help add one more pro gun Senator. While you're there, send me your wish list for proposed legislation.

Sam Fidler
Candidate for Utah State Senate
District #5
http://www.votefidler.org

Bennelli

imported post

I saw this photo and thought the same thing, here is my email and the very defensive email fromRich Piatt [rpiatt@ksl.com]the KSL writer of the article.

[align=center]

[/align]

To: Rich Piatt
Sent: Wed Sep 23 06:25:07 2009
Subject: Nice Effort

You must have thought, I have to shock people on this report so I will find a photo of some guy with a gun, and place it the website, right?

I noticed that because most articles on KSL.com don’t have a 2[suP]nd[/suP] photo. I can read through those slight invert subliminal thoughts which the writer wants the reader to experinece. I see through your dislike for the right to carry concealed or own a gun for that matter, by showing a citizen (note the blues jeans) not to be mistaken with a Police Officer openly carrying a firearm. (Shock Value!) scary gun on the hip photo! :what:

Us here dumb gun loving nuts, are not so smart to see through the unwritten message you were trying to say, so you thought. Oh well we are not as dumb as you think we are, nice try!

Bennelli

Email from the KSL writer:

For your information :cuss:I have nothing to do with the pictures on the website. Thanks for the paranoid:uhoh:, passive aggressive :banghead:email.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
I saw this photo and thought the same thing, here is my email and the very defensive email fromRich Piatt [rpiatt@ksl.com]the KSL writer of the article.

[align=center]

[/align]

To: Rich Piatt
Sent: Wed Sep 23 06:25:07 2009
Subject: Nice Effort

You must have thought, I have to shock people on this report so I will find a photo of some guy with a gun, and place it the website, right?

I noticed that because most articles on KSL.com don’t have a 2[sup]nd[/sup] photo. I can read through those slight invert subliminal thoughts which the writer wants the reader to experinece. I see through your dislike for the right to carry concealed or own a gun for that matter, by showing a citizen (note the blues jeans) not to be mistaken with a Police Officer openly carrying a firearm. (Shock Value!) scary gun on the hip photo! :what:

Us here dumb gun loving nuts, are not so smart to see through the unwritten message you were trying to say, so you thought. Oh well we are not as dumb as you think we are, nice try!

Bennelli

Email from the KSL writer:

For your information :cuss:I have nothing to do with the pictures on the website. Thanks for the paranoid:uhoh:, passive aggressive :banghead:email.
I didn't see anything inflamatory about that article. It actually seemed neutral as far as I can tell. If there was bias in there, it was very subtle. My personal opinion is that your response to the writer was unwarranted and made you look like an ass, but that is just my opinion. I'm not attacking you; just saying what it looks like. I mean, seriously, you tried to jump psychologically inside the writer's head and made some pretty stupid comments that I don't agree with. At least the photo was of an XD in a Serpa retention holster on a nicely-dressed guy instead of some huge shiny 1911 sitting in an Uncle Mikes IWB with no retention on a guy wearing kakis shorts with his nuts hanging out covered in tattoos. Now that would have been worth griping about. Albeit, that is also a stereotype as well that such an individual sporting the look is a criminal, but you get the point. At least they didn't play that card.

Kevin