• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Experiences of Chattanooga & Nashville OC-ers

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Would any of you care to share your OC experiences from either the Chattanooga or Nashville areas? My wife and I enjoy visiting those places, but have not done so since I found out about OC a few months ago. Thanks!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was at the TEA Party in Nashville back in April and OC'd a semi-auto 9mm and wasn't approached at all by the Metro LEO's that were present for the event. From what others that frequent Nashville report, LEO are ok about OC.

We recently got a new law passed here that allows HCP holders to carry our guns into restaurants that serve alcohol, as long as we do not consume any alcoholic beverages.Some restaurants have chosen not to allow guns inside their establishments. They'll have signage reflecting this.

WCrawford

imported post

I open carry in Nashville on a daily basis. I have been to all the Tea Parties held in Legislative Plaza since April 15th carrying my Glock 30 (.45) on my hip.

When I do go downtown (fairly often) I openly carry. Being the state capitol, there are probably more LE agencies than I could count in the area (Federal, State, and Local) and have never been stopped by any LEO.

I carry on a daily basis in and around my East Nashville home (Stop & Robs, Grocery Stores, ect) and have never been asked to leave any business. Infact, most business owners/managers that I have met appreciate my business and could care less that I have a firearm on my hip.

I do look for those legal "No Guns" signs to ensure that I don't violate the law, but most places just don't have them.

If you do come up some weekend, stay at the Courtyard at 1901 West End. I guard the place and would love to say "Hi."

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks to both of you for your replies regarding Nashville. Thanks, too, for the invite to the Courtyard...we might take you up on that sometime. My wife and I usually stay at the Hampton Inn in Green Hills (we like the mall there) or with friends in the area.

Chattanooga, anyone?

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
....This is what normally happens to me. This recording is of me and a State Park ranger yesterday.
I listened to the audio and do appreciate you posting it for me to hear. You seemed a bit short with the officer who was otherwise approaching you in a non-confrontational manner. Have you been harassed before?

old dog

imported post

I put your question to an old shipmate of mine who lives in the Collegedale suburb of Chattanooga.

He says he routinely OCs in that area and never gets more than a glance. As to Chattanooga, he says he never goes there.

Hope this is helpful.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
....This is what normally happens to me. This recording is of me and a State Park ranger yesterday.
What type of recorder, and what settings, were you using. I assume your recorder is able to capture several hours of audio. TIA

SomeKid

imported post

I OC in the Chattanooga area a lot. Never a problem. The only time any cop ever noticed, was a CS Deputy, and he just glanced, we made eye contact, he nodded. That was it.

marine77

imported post

I don't live in Chattanooga, just north of there, but i oc every day that i can. This last

veteran's day was the first time i went into a resturant that sold liquor ocing.

Appleby's was giving free dinners to veterans and i went and got mine, got a few

looks, but that was all. I've never been confronted with hostile people or stopped

by the cops yet, although it will probably happen.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wanted to bump this thread again as I'll be visiting Chattanooga soon. Is there any new information anyone can offer about OC-ing there? TIA

deadpool2

imported post

You probably won't have any problems as long as you don't try to be an ass and carry an AK, or walk around gun in hand. Most LE in this state support carry permits and a lot of those don't care if you open carry, as long as your not trying to intentionally freak people out or fishing for lawsuits.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

Neo wrote:
I wanted to bump this thread again as I'll be visiting Chattanooga soon. Is there any new information anyone can offer about OC-ing there? TIA

I'm not sure about Chattanooga.In my experiencecops in Tennessee do not like open carry.

There is no law which prohibits loaded open carry as long as you have a valid permit. Laws have changed over the years, but the one thing which stays the same is that open carry is legal.Attorney General opinion number 95-025 from March 28, 1995 covers this.It specifically address the issues of specific holsters, specific handguns, and open carry.

Kingfish

imported post

Don't listen to Kwik. He was carrying a sawed off AK47 slung in the front and was carrying an old Army revolver IN HIS HAND as he was walking through town....Yeah, he had bad experiences.

I never had an issue in Nashville while carrying a PROPERLY HOLSTERED OC handgun. I frequented a convenience store on my way home from work and was around MANY Metro officers without a word said.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

kingfish wrote:
Don't listen to Kwik. He was carrying a sawed off AK47 slung in the front and was carrying an old Army revolver IN HIS HAND as he was walking through town....Yeah, he had bad experiences.

I never had an issue in Nashville while carrying a PROPERLY HOLSTERED OC handgun. I frequented a convenience store on my way home from work and was around MANY Metro officers without a word said.

You've made my point. I didn't break the law, yet the law has retaliated. There was a recent event in Chattanooga involving a man at a movie theater. A cop gave him a hard time because he open carried.

News Channel nine story and interview

A Chattanooga man says a movie theatre violated his rights when managers refused to allow him to carry his gun into the theatre. Edward O'Brien has a valid Tennessee hand gun carry permit,but apparently that wasn't enough to get him and his gun inside the Majestic 12 Theatre in Downtown Chattanooga.

So who is right?

There is still a lot of confusion over Tennessee's hand gun carry law, even though it's been on the books and debated in the media for quite some time now. That came into play when O'Brien and his friend visited the Majestic 12.

O'Brien said five years ago he was robbed at gunpoint and had a gun put to his head. That was when he decided would buy a gun and get a Tennessee hand gun carry permit. he says he often wears his handgun in plain view, as the law allows. He says he believes that is a deterrent to would-be criminals. he was wearing his .45 calber semi-automatic on his side, in plain view, when he recently came to see a movie at the Majestic 12.

Theatre managers stopped O'Brien.

"He said that my permit to carry was a concealed permit," O'Brien told us. "I said 'No it's not, it's a hand gun carry permit. In the state of Tennessee you can carry it open or concealed."

O'Brien is correct. In Tennessee his permit does allow him to carry his firearm at his side. There is no requirement to conceal it. After some discussion with the manager O'Brien says he refused to conceal his weapon. Then an off-duty sheriff's deputy, who we only know by the first name Adam, got into the discussion.

"He said you have been asked to leave once, if you don't leave now I'm going to arrest you for criminal trespass," according to O'Brien. "I said I need your badge number and name."

O'Brien says "Adam" never gave his name and badge number, nor did he show a police ID.

Mike Browning, the director of communications for the Tennessee Department of Safety, which enforces hand gun carry laws, says the law is clear. A business can only ban weapons if they post a restriction that's clearly visible to customers coming inside.

Dale Hurst, regional manager for Carmike Cinemas, said their legal department is reviewing this case and the law. Hurst says O'Brien was asked to hide his weapon because a couple patrons told management they felt intimidated by the gun.

In Tennessee, businesses do have the right to refuse anyone in who is carrying a weapon with a legal permit. However according to Browning, the businesses are required by law to post a sign outside that says "No Firearms." At the Majestic 12 there is no such sign.

"I feel they violated my civil rights as a permit holder, the right to carry a firearm," said O'Brien. "I'm not a felon. I'm not a criminal. I abide by the laws."

Hurst said Carmike Cinemas have always had a "no weapons" policy, but in light of this incident may consider adding signs at the doors.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

kingfish wrote:
Gee, a guy that refuses to leave when asked.

Great example
Read carefully, he was not asked to leave by the manager. He was told to leave by a cop who did not know the law and who would not ID himself.

Kingfish

imported post

Theatre managers stopped O'Brien.

"He said that my permit to carry was a concealed permit," O'Brien told us. "I said 'No it's not, it's a hand gun carry permit. In the state of Tennessee you can carry it open or concealed."

O'Brien is correct. In Tennessee his permit does allow him to carry his firearm at his side. There is no requirement to conceal it. After some discussion with the manager O'Brien says he refused to conceal his weapon. Then an off-duty sheriff's deputy, who we only know by the first name Adam, got into the discussion.

"He said you have been asked to leave once, if you don't leave now I'm going to arrest you for criminal trespass," according to O'Brien. "I said I need your badge number and name."

Seems to me the manager had already asked him to leave once and the off duty LEO was reiterating the position.

Anyway Neo , the point is that if you are polite and non confrontational and keep the handgun holstered you should not have any issues. Most people don't.

Kaliga

imported post

Was at Michaelangelo's Pizza today in Nashville for lunch, a very small pizza joint. Three or Four Metro LEO's were in their eating lunch. I was ocing and eating lunch as well. No one said a word, they were eye ballin a little bit but that is all.