• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The OC SURVIVAL THREAD, for you tin foil hat types

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think a new thread is needed here, as some of us are Preppers ( Urban survivalist's ) let the doom& gloom flow. What if senarios, preppeing / stock piling, etc. Will open carry survive in a Nuclear wasteland.:cool:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Go Kits / Bug out Bags” are meant to be grabbed quickly in case of little to no-notice events such as emergency evacuations, prolonged utility outages, hurricanes and severe weather emergencies. Go Kits are essential for when individuals or families need to Shelter-In-Place or evacuate. When building your Go Kit, plan to have enough supplies for each person in your family for 72 hours (3 days). The following lists are provided as guidance for building your own Go Kit.

For the Office:

•Change of Comfortable Clothes
•Comfortable walking shoes
•Bottled Water
•Food
•Emergency Blanket
•First Aid Kit
•Medications and Prescriptions
•Flashlight/lightsticks
•N95 Rated Respirator Mask
•Battery-powered Radio
•Extra Batteries
•Toothbrush/Toothpaste
•Cleansing Wipes
•Deodorant
•Other Hygiene Items
•Entertainment (paperback, deck of cards, game boy)
•Whistle to signal for help

For Your Vehicle: “Go Kit”

•Hard hat
•Leather gloves
•N95 Rated Respirator Masks
•Extra Set of House/Car Keys
•Important Papers/Documents
in waterproof container)
•Non-perishable Food (raisins, trail mix, nuts, energy bars)
•Bottled Water – one-gallon per number of passengers
•Basic First Aid Kit
•Flares
•Duct Tape
•Heavy Work Gloves
•Fire Extinguisher
•Battery-Powered Radio
•Compass and Maps
•Flashlight & extra batteries

•Blanket(s) or Sleeping Bag(s)
•Rope (nylon or clothesline) – at least 50-feet
•Extra Clothing/Walking Shoes
•Lip Balm, Hand Lotion and Sunscreen
•Plastic Bags (zip-lock and grocery store)
•Toilet/Facial Tissue
•Poncho
•Waterproof Matches/Lighter
•Hand Warmers
•Cash/Assorted Change

For the Home:
Store the following items in an easy-to-access place in your home:

•Hard hat
•For Hot Food: a can of sterno &
lightweight cooking pans (plus salt, pepper, and sugar)
•1 gallon of water/day/person
•N95 Rated Respirator Masks
•Emergency Food
•Emergency Blanket
•Small First Aid Kit
•Leather Gloves
•Flashlight
•Extra Batteries
•Extra Set of House/Car Keys
•Important Papers/Documents (in waterproof container)
•Whistle
•Battery-Powered Radio
•Paper cups, plastic utensils, matches, non-electric can opener,
and aluminum foil

•Canned meats, fruits, vegetables, juices, milk, and soup; packaged snacks (a variety)
•Foods for people w/special diets
Vitamins & prescription drugs
• Toilet paper, antibacterial hand wipes, soap, chlorine bleach, disinfectant, & paper towels
• Personal hygiene items
•Extra pair of eyeglasses
•Large plastic trash bags & large covered trash can
•Change of clothing, rain wear, sturdy shoes, hat, gloves, thermal wear
•Cell phone and charger
•Books and games
•Special items for elderly, infants
•Cookies, candy, sweetened cereals, instant coffee, and tea bags (these are comfort foods)

Some Places Where You Can Purchase “Go Kits”:
www.redcrossshop.orgAmerican Red Cross
www.ambientweather.comAmbient Weather
www.baproducts.comB & A Products
www.disasternecessities.comDisaster Necessities.com
www.first-aid-product.comFirst-Aid Product.com
www.lifekit.com Lifekit
www.homelandpreparedness.com Homeland Preparedness

For Information on N95 Rated Respirator Masks:
www.fda.gov/cdrh/ppe/masksrespirators
www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/respirators
www.nextag.com

Where You Can Go For More Information:
http://EPrepare.state.govState Dept. Office of Emergency Management
www.ready.govU.S. Department of Homeland Security
www.redcross.orgAmerican Red Cross
www.fema.govFederal Emergency Management Agency
www.aspca.orgEmergency Pet Preparedness - ASPCA

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

OK. I'd use one if the proper one is available. I already have 2.75 REM Whole Body Exposure WBE occupational and no internal contamination. I'd like to remain contamination free, internal and external.

Radiation and radioactive contamination are analogous to dog poo. Radiation is like the stink from dog poo and avoided by TIME, DISTANCE and SHIELDING - only sniffing it for a moment, keeping away and keeping it in a bag. Radioactive contamination is like dog poo on your shoe - scrape it off and don't get it on your skin or, worse, swallow or inhale it.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
OK. I'd use one if the proper one is available. I already have 2.75 REM Whole Body Exposure WBE occupational and no internal contamination. I'd like to remain contamination free, internal and external.

Radiation and radioactive contamination are analogous to dog poo. Radiation is like the stink from dog poo and avoided by TIME, DISTANCE and SHIELDING - only sniffing it for a moment, keeping away and keeping it in a bag. Radioactive contamination is like dog poo on your shoe - scrape it off and don't get it on your skin or, worse, swallow or inhale it.

That cute little outfit may work for you up there in the Northern Territories, but I live about 20 miles from the world's largest naval base and a dozen other military targets. All we'll see or know is a bright flash and MAYBE enough timefor our brains toprocess the information.

I'd rather not live long enough to be a caveman in the barren wasteland with my guns and a year's worth of canned goods.

45acpForMe

imported post

Party at Ground Zero!

With 8 or so military bases around us and USN Weapons station where they store Nukes our tidewater area will just become part of the Chesapeake Bay!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Do you really think that military bases would be the primary targets?

Just for sake of argument, let say that a nuke attack is carried out by a terrorist organization.

What will be their primary goal? - To kill as many innocent civilian Americans as possible, disrupt the nations economy and infastructure, and create total chaos.

What would be the best targets for carrying out that goal? - Large cities, industrial complexes, and major power facilities.

The reality is, that nukes are the least of our worries. Have you all forgotten about the biological warfare aspect? A combination of nukes or dirty bombs and bio agents could bring this country to it's knees rather quickly. I suspect that if carried out properly, we would lose around half of our total population within a couple of weeks, with even more to be lost in the months afterwards.

The way I see it, those of you that live in the urban areas are going to have a slim chance of survival. Those of us that live in rural America have a better chance, but it still won't be easy.

usaf0906

imported post

I am going to play the odds and say that I will be dead when/if the time comes.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

We have a small stockpile of food and water, but not for the same reasons most of you people may think. I have a generator becuase of frequent power outages lasting several days due to storms or ice. I hunt, I fish, we pick berries and nuts to preserve them (nothing better than wild blueberry jam on your toast) I trade those items for maple syrup that my neighbor makes.

I live in the middle of nowhere, in the northern WI snowbelt. Although we have not had any real deep snow in the last 20 years, the possibility is still there for us to be buried neck deep in the stuff overnight.
When I was a kid, I remember people being stuck at home for a week or more due to the white fluffy stuff. We didn't have snowshoes hanging on the wall for decoration, we had them to be able to get around in the winter, andsnowmobiles were not what they are today either.

UtahJarhead

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
We have a small stockpile of food and water, but not for the same reasons most of you people may think. I have a generator becuase of frequent power outages lasting several days due to storms or ice. I hunt, I fish, we pick berries and nuts to preserve them (nothing better than wild blueberry jam on your toast) I trade those items for maple syrup that my neighbor makes.

I live in the middle of nowhere, in the northern WI snowbelt. Although we have not had any real deep snow in the last 20 years, the possibility is still there for us to be buried neck deep in the stuff overnight.
When I was a kid, I remember people being stuck at home for a week or more due to the white fluffy stuff. We didn't have snowshoes hanging on the wall for decoration, we had them to be able to get around in the winter, andsnowmobiles were not what they are today either.
What's the survivability from the imminent zombie invasion? Also got the ammo stockpile set aside? Those zombies aren't going to kill themselves...

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I envy that life Nut, but not your location. As I've gotten older and having spent a lot of time on the ocean in all weather conditions, I've come to loathe any place the water changes physical state; ie: liquid to solid or even liquid to vapor (high-humidity) like Houston/Galveston, TX

It gets pretty humid here in VA, but never very cold. When it does get cold, it doesn''t last as long... Not like up north. I did enjoy sailing on the lakes up there in the summer and I've even ice-boated in Massachusetts. It was a blast. Never been 40 mph under sail before or since... what a rush!

I do appreciate our gun laws in Virginia, though. I feel for my Northern Brothers and Sisters that can't exercise their God-given RIGHTS like we can.

Semper Paratus!

msc

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I envy that life Nut, but not your location. As I've gotten older and having spent a lot of time on the ocean in all weather conditions, I've come to loathe any place the water changes physical state; ie: liquid to solid or even liquid to vapor (high-humidity) like Houston/Galveston, TX

It gets pretty humid here in VA, but never very cold. When it does get cold, it doesn''t last as long... Not like up north. I did enjoy sailing on the lakes up there in the summer and I've even ice-boated in Massachusetts. It was a blast. Never been 40 mph under sail before or since... what a rush!

I do appreciate our gun laws in Virginia, though. I feel for my Northern Brothers and Sisters that can't exercise their God-given RIGHTS like we can.

Semper Paratus!

msc
Thnkabout this, for a whilethe Chippewa Indians stayed in this climate for the winter living in animal hide shelters, snow up to their asses for half the year and they managed to live off the land for centuries. We are lucky to have such a resource rich environment in this area to be able to self-sustain. It just takes a little planning.

I too spent many days on the Atlantic ocean, I fished commercially, chartered, and captained a few private vessels. I liked the climate, but it was boring. I missed the snow, the cold, the smell of hardwoods heating my home.
I could not wait to get back to the northern reaches of this country. Ice-boating is more common in Southern WI, we get too much snow to have a nice clean ice surface to run on. We are a snowmobiling bunch in this area. Venison (Speed Beef) is a majorprotein sourceup here in the winters

What is with the sudden influx of I-trolls on this forum lately?

RogueWarrior

imported post

I live in New Mexico not far from an airforce base that has nukes so if the the nukes hit near here I do not think I will now about it :lol:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I live a few miles from Jamestown. Remember that place? 1607, John Smith, First permanent English-speaking colony in North America.

You're right, the Mid-Atlantic was pretty boring. The Grand Banks in winter was a bit less fun. Maine was less than hospitable in the winter, too. We have some nice parts of VA, too. I enjoy the climate here. My kids miss the snow from MA, though.

Dunno about the trolls. They're just trying to stir the pot, as usual.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

That cute little outfit may work for you up there in the Northern Territories, but I live about 20 miles from the world's largest naval base and a dozen other military targets. All we'll see or know is a bright flash and MAYBE enough timefor our brains toprocess the information.

I'd rather not live long enough to be a caveman in the barren wasteland with my guns and a year's worth of canned goods.
Oh yeah? I live 20 miles from NORAD. I'm screwed.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ian wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Oh yeah? I live 20 miles from NORAD. I'm screwed.
oooh, sorry dude, yeah. you have a target painted all around you.

45acpForMe

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Do you really think that military bases would be the primary targets?

If it is a simple terrorist attack no.

We came pretty close to nuclear war in 1973 with the Israel war. A couple scenarios regarding the middle east could play out leading to all out war. Hopefully they don't happen but I do know that America is not mentioned in bible prophecy so we are not a major power at some point. That can come via EMP terrorist attack pushing our technology back to 1800, financial collapse (most probable based on current spending patterns) or military destruction to the point we aren't a threat (nuclear war).

No matter which happens there will be starving people and some with criminal intent(zombies) trying to take whatever you have just to survive.