Thread: How a Democrat Loses in Virginia

Post imported post

From the WaPo:

How a Democrat Loses in Virginia

Former Democratic Virginia Gov. Douglas Wilder’s resounding non-endorsement of Creigh Deeds, the Democratic candidate this year, is an important moment in an important campaign.

But Deeds has been unable to follow this script. His rural, gun-culture roots reinforce minority skepticism -- or at least cool minority enthusiasm. Wilder, in his statement, specifically criticized Deeds’s opposition to gun control.

At the same time, Deeds has been lured -- by desperation and McDonnell’s grad school thesis -- to the hard left on social issues. This may shore up support among some Democrats. But it is not the way Warner or Kaine won their elections.

McDonnell, in contrast, is the suburban candidate in the race, with roots in Fairfax County and Virginia Beach. He was the last Republican to run statewide in Virginia and win the “Suburban Six” -- Henrico, Chesterfield, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Prince William and Loudoun Counties. On issues such as education and transportation, McDonnell has been far more active, creative and specific than his opponent. McDonnell is closer in political style to Warner and Kaine than Deeds is.

If you turned off the sound in the current race for Virginia governor and merely looked at the style, approach and background of the candidates, the results are surprising. The candidate who is suburban, policy oriented and moderate in tone is…a Republican. The candidate who is rural, angry and ideologically inflamed is…a Democrat. This was enough to make Wilder think twice. It is likely to make many Virginians think twice.

Post imported post

He's also running a negative-ad/smear campaign attacking McDonnell's conservative Christian values.

They say he introduced "35 bills limiting a woman's right to choose."

It's not a right. It's infanticide.

Deeds is a d*****nozzle.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

I have yet to hear anything about McDonnell's being specifically "Christian" - Catholic, yes, but I know plenty of Catholics on both sides of that fence. I'm sure he's one with the Catholic culture, but I haven't heard anything that persuades me that he's a Christian.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

user wrote:
    I have yet to hear anything about McDonnell's being specifically "Christian" - Catholic, yes, but I know plenty of Catholics on both sides of that fence. I'm sure he's one with the Catholic culture, but I haven't heard anything that persuades me that he's a Christian.
    Doesn't matter since Deeds sold his soul to the Devil.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Deeds is a d*****nozzle.
    +1

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Repeater quoted:
    SNIP...Deeds... rural, gun-culture roots reinforce minority skepticism -- or at least cool minority enthusiasm. Wilder, in his statement, specifically criticized Deeds’s opposition to gun control.
    This is actually a disgusting racist comment. Profiling that blacks--excuse me,minorities--are for gun control.

One of mybest successes as an OCer was a young black woman who,after talking to me at a McDonalds, decided to download the CHP application later that afternoon at work.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Repeater quoted:
    SNIP...Deeds... rural, gun-culture roots reinforce minority skepticism -- or at least cool minority enthusiasm. Wilder, in his statement, specifically criticized Deeds’s opposition to gun control.
    This is actually a disgusting racist comment. Profiling that blacks--excuse me,minorities--are for gun control.

One of mybest successes as an OCer was a young black woman who,after talking to me at a McDonalds, decided to download the CHP application later that afternoon at work.
    I tend to stay away from that subject, but I agree with you Citizen. I think a lot of that thinking come from the notion that many minorities suffer from guns so Blacks should be anti.

That certainly hasn't been my experience. Black folks that I know think just as clearly and carefully, and in some cases, more so, than white people.

Post imported post

So how does McDonnell poll in Fairfax County?

I won't even ask about Arlington or Alexandria.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    user wrote:
    Doesn't matter since Deeds sold his soul to the Devil.
    You know one listens to all the back and forth crap, yes crap, that candidates put out against each other and you never know what is true and what isn't unless you do a lot of research - Thank You News Media.... Anyway, Creeds has one ad out that states McDonnell claims he prevented a 300 million dollar rate increase of our electric(?) (utility) rates. The ad then goes on to say something like, "Did anyone notice their electric rates go down?!" What??? The claim was not that he reduced the rates, only that he prevented them from going up! Are they that stupid or that dishonest? I'm not sure which.... Makes me angry when I hear this type of crap.

Typical politicians....