• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How a Democrat Loses in Virginia

Repeater

imported post

From the WaPo:

How a Democrat Loses in Virginia

Former Democratic Virginia Gov. Douglas Wilder’s resounding non-endorsement of Creigh Deeds, the Democratic candidate this year, is an important moment in an important campaign.

But Deeds has been unable to follow this script. His rural, gun-culture roots reinforce minority skepticism -- or at least cool minority enthusiasm. Wilder, in his statement, specifically criticized Deeds’s opposition to gun control.

At the same time, Deeds has been lured -- by desperation and McDonnell’s grad school thesis -- to the hard left on social issues. This may shore up support among some Democrats. But it is not the way Warner or Kaine won their elections.

McDonnell, in contrast, is the suburban candidate in the race, with roots in Fairfax County and Virginia Beach. He was the last Republican to run statewide in Virginia and win the “Suburban Six” -- Henrico, Chesterfield, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Prince William and Loudoun Counties. On issues such as education and transportation, McDonnell has been far more active, creative and specific than his opponent. McDonnell is closer in political style to Warner and Kaine than Deeds is.

If you turned off the sound in the current race for Virginia governor and merely looked at the style, approach and background of the candidates, the results are surprising. The candidate who is suburban, policy oriented and moderate in tone is…a Republican. The candidate who is rural, angry and ideologically inflamed is…a Democrat. This was enough to make Wilder think twice. It is likely to make many Virginians think twice.

wylde007

imported post

He's also running a negative-ad/smear campaign attacking McDonnell's conservative Christian values.

They say he introduced "35 bills limiting a woman's right to choose."

It's not a right. It's infanticide.

Deeds is a d*****nozzle.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have yet to hear anything about McDonnell's being specifically "Christian" - Catholic, yes, but I know plenty of Catholics on both sides of that fence. I'm sure he's one with the Catholic culture, but I haven't heard anything that persuades me that he's a Christian.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

user wrote:
I have yet to hear anything about McDonnell's being specifically "Christian" - Catholic, yes, but I know plenty of Catholics on both sides of that fence. I'm sure he's one with the Catholic culture, but I haven't heard anything that persuades me that he's a Christian.

Doesn't matter since Deeds sold his soul to the Devil.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Repeater quoted:
SNIP...Deeds... rural, gun-culture roots reinforce minority skepticism -- or at least cool minority enthusiasm. Wilder, in his statement, specifically criticized Deeds’s opposition to gun control.

This is actually a disgusting racist comment. Profiling that blacks--excuse me,minorities--are for gun control.

One of mybest successes as an OCer was a young black woman who,after talking to me at a McDonalds, decided to download the CHP application later that afternoon at work.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Repeater quoted:
SNIP...Deeds... rural, gun-culture roots reinforce minority skepticism -- or at least cool minority enthusiasm. Wilder, in his statement, specifically criticized Deeds’s opposition to gun control.

This is actually a disgusting racist comment. Profiling that blacks--excuse me,minorities--are for gun control.

One of mybest successes as an OCer was a young black woman who,after talking to me at a McDonalds, decided to download the CHP application later that afternoon at work.
I tend to stay away from that subject, but I agree with you Citizen. I think a lot of that thinking come from the notion that many minorities suffer from guns so Blacks should be anti.

That certainly hasn't been my experience. Black folks that I know think just as clearly and carefully, and in some cases, more so, than white people.

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
user wrote:

Doesn't matter since Deeds sold his soul to the Devil.
You know one listens to all the back and forth crap, yes crap, that candidates put out against each other and you never know what is true and what isn't unless you do a lot of research - Thank You News Media.... Anyway, Creeds has one ad out that states McDonnell claims he prevented a 300 million dollar rate increase of our electric(?) (utility) rates. The ad then goes on to say something like, "Did anyone notice their electric rates go down?!" What??? The claim was not that he reduced the rates, only that he prevented them from going up! Are they that stupid or that dishonest? I'm not sure which.... Makes me angry when I hear this type of crap.

Typical politicians....