• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 research

45acpForMe

imported post

I have seen some pics of some good looking 1911's recently and other than wanting one, I want to know what manufacturers are best and why. I have read how they are some of the best, most comfortable, accurate, reliable guns out there and it may be time for me to own one.

Specifically for me Kimber and Springfield come to mind but I don't have much experience shopping for 1911's and would like additional input. I am looking for a full size stainless but am open for reasoning otherwise.

I already have several other pistol types and am now concentrating on 1911's. Attached is a Springfield version that caught my eye and started the process.

PX9151LP.jpg

Last edited:

RebelHell

imported post

I plan on buying one soon, most likely a Springfield Mil-Spec in stainless. Kimbers and Colts have some great reviews but to me seem overpriced. Para-Ordinance has a few nice 1911's too but their custom extractor bothers me (though I admit I have no experience with them).

My dad has a Springfield Loaded Target 5" model. I love it. Shoots great and that thing is a nail driver. Just wish it had three dot sights instead of the target sights but for the deal he got on it, those are easily changed. You might look at Taurus for a decent 1911 with plenty of features starting out. Rock Island Armory is also great if you are looking for a GI model without any bells and whistles. They are inexpensive and well made.

curtiswr

imported post

To be honest, I think a Springfield Mil-Spec (not the GI) is the best starter 1911. Get one, shoot it, decide what you like and what you don't and upgrade from there. The absence of front slide serrations also helps in this decision for me. The models they offer after the Mil-Spec have them.

Here's my Mil-Spec:

SA1911-4.jpg

But I just changed the grips:

IMG_1685.jpg

6L6GC

imported post

I am quite fond of my Kimber Pro Carry II. It has never malfunctioned once. It's stainless and looks very nice.

I also have a Colt 1991 Series 80 which I like VERY much. I have fired quite a few rounds in it and it doesn't have any failure to extract problems, never had a stove pipe or failure to feed. I highly recommend a Colt or Springfield.

You don't have to spend big money getting bells and whistles to have a good gun. Hope you find one that you like.

If you haven't shot a 1911 style gun and want to give it a try, just send me a PM and maybe we can work something out. I am a member of the Lafayette Gun Club so we could go there to shoot.

I'll provide the guns. You provide the ammo.

45acpForMe

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
I am quite fond of my Kimber Pro Carry II. It has never malfunctioned once. It's stainless and looks very nice.

I also have a Colt 1991 Series 80 which I like VERY much.
So between the Kimber and the Colt which one would you never get rid of and "both" can't be an answer. :) Thanks for the shooting offer too. I have several 45's just not a 1911 so I figure the recoil will be about the same as my stainless Sig Sauer P220. I am also planning on attending the next OC dinner.

So far the list of choices, Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Para, and Taurus. I'll have to do some browsing online and see what each has. Money is always some issue but mainly because I have a wish list of "other" guns I want.

Of course everyone loves "their" gun becaue they chose it and it meets their criteria. Are there any benefits of one over another? 7+1 vs 8+1, smoothed edges, better barrel rifling etc? This has been hard in that researching all the manufacturers of 1911 will take some time. Even Sig Sauer has 1911's but I would like to concentrate on the manufacturers that have the best name & reputation for 1911's.

curtiswr

imported post

What mags you use decide what capacity your full-size has. A lot of folks recommend Wilson Combat 47D magazines (8 rounders), and that's what I carry.

Here's a Colt for sale in VA, not entirely stainless but I figured I'd show you anyway:

http://vaguntrader.com/view_topic.php?id=6731&forum_id=3

But also for a very basic 1911, the Springfield GI (in stainless that you wanted) is on vaguntrader right now too for a very good price:

http://vaguntrader.com/view_topic.php?id=6846&forum_id=3&highlight=1911

The sights might be harder to see (basic GI sights, very small front blade) and the ejection port isn't lowered and flared like the SA Mil Spec.... but at 475 you might could just deal with it. :lol:

6L6GC

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
6L6GC wrote:

I also have a Colt 1991 Series 80 which I like VERY much.
So between the Kimber and the Colt which one would you never get rid of and "both" can't be an answer. :) Thanks for the shooting offer too. I have several 45's just not a 1911 so I figure the recoil will be about the same as my stainless Sig Sauer P220. I am also planning on attending the next OC dinner.

So far the list of choices, Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Para, and Taurus. I'll have to do some browsing online and see what each has. Money is always some issue but mainly because I have a wish list of "other" guns I want.

Of course everyone loves "their" gun becaue they chose it and it meets their criteria. Are there any benefits of one over another? 7+1 vs 8+1, smoothed edges, better barrel rifling etc? This has been hard in that researching all the manufacturers of 1911 will take some time. Even Sig Sauer has 1911's but I would like to concentrate on the manufacturers that have the best name & reputation for 1911's.
if I found myself in a position wherein I had to choose one or the other I'd keep the Colt. I have total confidence in it. I'd really hate to not have the Kimber anymore, BUT, for me the decision would not be hard. The Colt would be my "go to" gun.

Also, I saw in some of the other posts some comments about mags. My Colt uses the "standard" 8 round mags. So it's 8+1 in the gun plus a couple mags in my holder. If that's not enough, well..........................

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well I have 2 Kimber's. An Ultra Carry II (3" barrel and 7 rnd mag) and a Stainless Pro Carry II with an aluminum frame( 4" barrel and full size grip and 8 rnd mag).

Of the 2 I like the Pro carry the best it shoots great, is light (28 oz. with empty mag) and I can conceal it pretty well. It's been very reliable right out of the box.

I have never shot a full size 1911 with a 5" barrel. So I don't know how it compares to what I nave. I imagine it may shoot better but trying to conceal it when it's cold out or when it may be deemed appropriate.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands mentioned, but I prefer Kimbers for myself. Just my .02

D_Weezy

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
To be honest, I think a Springfield Mil-Spec (not the GI) is the best starter 1911. Get one, shoot it, decide what you like and what you don't and upgrade from there. The absence of front slide serrations also helps in this decision for me. The models they offer after the Mil-Spec have them.

Here's my Mil-Spec:

SA1911-4.jpg

But I just changed the grips:

IMG_1685.jpg
I agree with curtiswr. I also have the Mil-spec and love it. The only thing that I have done to mine, is add a extended slide release and polished the feed ramp. This is one great weapon. There is nothing like the feel of a 1911. I own a 460 Rowland conversion kit for it and place it in my 1911 from time to time. It gives you the power of a .44 magnum in a 1911 ;).

TehGruu

imported post

Just thought I would chime in. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Colt. I have a 1991A1 Commander that is a joy to shoot. The weapon is by far more accurate than I am. The only issues I've had with it have been magazine and ammo related. I plan on getting a government model when I have the spare dough.

-Gruu

6L6GC

imported post

my Colt is also the 1991A1. It's a series 80. It's been a great gun, right out of the box. Never had any issues of any kind with it. I love my Kimber Pro Carry but its hard to imagine a better gun than my Colt.

Marco

imported post

Being close to salt water and with the humidity in VAI see why a SS gun would be a strong consideration.

I personally like a1911 without front serrations, ambi safety, GI/Mil spec sights or lanyard ring.
What I do want is 20 LPI front strap checkering (30 is okay), a flat main spring housing, slim grips, SS grip screws, a short trigger (<5 Lbs) and Heinie Slantpro /straight eightsights (not night sites), a full length Guide rod is optional.

If the factory mags are reliable I use them if not I buy Wilson mags.

My favorite 1911 is my Colt C.C.O, not a FS 1911 (or 10mm)but an excellent carry gun.

AbNo

imported post

My favorite is my Rock Island, because it is mine. ;)

Seriously though, it's a good workhorse, it does what it's supposed to do, and I don't have to worry that I'm getting a bit of slide wear on the finish of a $1200 handgun.

Just remember, if you carry that pretty finish is going to get some marks on it.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

My first 1911 was a High Standard compact. I went cheap and paid for it. It was not reliable, although it was accurate. There is a difference between a $450 1911 and a 1000+ one. The machine markings tend to be worse on the cheaper ones, they tend to use more MIM parts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding) which can be less durable, the fitting and symmetry on a higher end 1911 tends to be of a higher quality, and they tend to be tuned for better performance.I have also owned $2000 1911's, and can honestly say that the higher you go up the ladder, the less advanteges you will get. Best 1911's tend to fall in the middle, when it comes to all around performance and quality. My bet is for the Dan Wessons, the CBOB being my favorite for all purpose shooting.

Gratuitous gun pics:

111ou9l.jpg

24g63i1.jpg

On the lower end, my Mil-Spec tends to be the the top of the line base gun. I just didn''t think I needed to add anything to it.

2w5k9yr.jpg

45acpForMe

imported post

Thanks for all the people that gave me input on the 1911's they like.

After much searching and research (my kids complained I wasn't spending any time with them) I wound up coming back to the original gun I was looking at. After having a compromise on each model (including price) when I was done with each manufacturer I either had a gun I didn't want or one I couldn't afford. I even looked at the used market but felt uncomfortable with each one I found. Colt and Kimber fall into the"cost" category but are now added to my "list" of guns I want to own eventually. The Kimber Raptor II stainless caught my eye but was a little too pricey.

The Springfield is a nice gun that has all but one of the attributes I was looking for (it is 7+1 rather than 8+1).

A couple other guns looked promising but I kept coming back to the one that sparked my interest. So I ordered the PX9151LP as pictured.

45acpForMe

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
The 8+1 or 7+1 issue is easy to solve. Buy an eight round magazine.
Yes but.... Depending on the design and availability of the magazine it may 1) look like @#$%, 3) not really "extend" the grip. Since my hands are wide I figured the 8+1 models are a tad longer in the grip which would work out fine for me. I hadn't started to look for extended magazines for this model but will investigate.

Being a 1911 newbie, I assume that there isn't a "standard" 1911 magazine and each manufacturer would have their own version. Is that a bad assumption?

I looked at the Springfield website and they have an 8-round magazine but no grip extension. They also have a 10 round listed but still no grip-extension.

RebelHell

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
Yes but.... Depending on the design and availability of the magazine it may 1) look like @#$%, 3) not really "extend" the grip. Since my hands are wide I figured the 8+1 models are a tad longer in the grip which would work out find for me. I hadn't started to look for extended magazines for this model but will investigate.

Being a 1911 newbie, I assume that there isn't a "standard" 1911 magazine and each manufacturer would have their own version. Is that a bad assumption?

I looked at the Springfield website and they have an 8-round magazine but no grip extension. They also have a 10 round listed but still no grip-extension.
I think you may have a hard time finding 1911 mags that extend the grip. Most "spec" 1911 mags will fit your Springfield 1911 however, I recomend going with Springfield replacement magazines or Wilson Combat. Many 1911 isues are caused by cheap magazines and when a good WIlson Combat can be had for 25 bucks or so, why go cheap and risk possible malfunctions.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
Yes but.... Depending on the design and availability of the magazine it may 1) look like @#$%, 3) not really "extend" the grip. Since my hands are wide I figured the 8+1 models are a tad longer in the grip which would work out fine for me. I hadn't started to look for extended magazines for this model but will investigate.

Unless you buy a double stacked 1911 (14 rounds), no 1911 has a longer grip to acomodate an extra round. Mccormick, Wilson and a few other manufacturers build flush 8 round mags for full size 1911's. I am 6'2" 240 lbs with oversized mitts myself. Trust me, even with slim grips, the 1911 is right for big guys. Let me refer you to a great group of guys and gals : www.1911forum.com