• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 research

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TehGruu wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Follow up on the earlier 1911 magazine postings.

Nobody makes a better or more reliable magazine than Trip Research with their Cobra II magazines: 7 rd, 8 rd and extended 10 rd. IMHO they are superior to Wilson's - pricey though.
http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

BTW - when I owned two Kimbers that the manufacture could not/did not fix, neither Novak or Wilson would accept my Kimbers for repair. That said even more to me than my personal experiences did. Have to admit, I do not like mim parts much either.

Yata hey
Well, sir, I wanted to thank you for making my bank account a hundred bucks lighter. I ordered a 7 round flush fit and a couple of 8 rounders. Thanks again. :(

-Gruu
Let us know when you get them and what you think. They are IMO a work of art.

They use a different follower that really does work. I believe that their follower is available to upgrade other mags too.

Yata hey

TehGruu

imported post

Will do Grapeshot. AfterI try them out I'm probably going to gut my Chip McCormicks and replace the innards with the Tripp followers and springs. My Colt mags are probably safe though.

-Gruu

Glock It

imported post

Ok I'll play.. here is my Gov't size SA baby and it is the BEST 1911 made cuz its mine.
Not the best pic as shehas a very dirty nose from working thru all the brass.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Glock It wrote:
Ok I'll play.. here is my Gov't size SA baby and it is the BEST 1911 made cuz its mine.
Not the best pic as shehas a very dirty nose from working thru all the brass.
Have to love it when even a Glock aficionado appreciates a 1911. :D

Yata hey

TehGruu

imported post

Well, Grapeshot, my Tripp Corbra mags came in yesterday! :celebrate I felt like a little kid getting something in the mail from my grandma. What I ordered where 2 8 rounders anda single7 rounder. I have to say my first impression has been a good one. From just looking at them, holding, loading, locking the slide back, etc, these are some of the best mags I have ever seen. I have had Wilsons before, hell,my Armscor officer's has a Wilson in it right now, but I must say that these seem superior. No weld spots. I noticed that the base pad seems a little bigger than the Wilson 47Ds.

However, I don't think that is a bad thing. I'm sure it will help for durability should they hit the ground as thattends to happen. I probably wouldn't keepan 8 rounderin my Commander due to Texas' don't ask don't tell policy. But I will carry them as back up. I have a 7 rounder with the steel floor plate to keep the profile lower. I kind of wish they had blued magazines to match my gun, but hey, I won't knock em just for that.

Overall, I really have nothing but positive things to say. The real test will be when I locate some target ammo and take them out fora test drive. I'll also try to get some pics posted in the next couple of days so those unfamiliar with them can see what the shipped product actually looks like.

Oh, and one last thing. The customer service was nothing short of outstanding too. I had messed up and left some digits off my card when I placed my order. The lady that called was extremely friendly and helpful But, I guess that's what you expect from good Southern Folk, eh?

-Gruu

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TehGruu wrote:
Well, Grapeshot, my Tripp Corbra mags came in yesterday! :celebrate I felt like a little kid getting something in the mail from my grandma. What I ordered where 2 8 rounders anda single7 rounder. I have to say my first impression has been a good one. From just looking at them, holding, loading, locking the slide back, etc, these are some of the best mags I have ever seen. I have had Wilsons before, hell,my Armscor officer's has a Wilson in it right now, but I must say that these seem superior. No weld spots. I noticed that the base pad seems a little bigger than the Wilson 47Ds.

However, I don't think that is a bad thing. I'm sure it will help for durability should they hit the ground as thattends to happen. I probably wouldn't keepan 8 rounderin my Commander due to Texas' don't ask don't tell policy. But I will carry them as back up. I have a 7 rounder with the steel floor plate to keep the profile lower. I kind of wish they had blued magazines to match my gun, but hey, I won't knock em just for that.

Overall, I really have nothing but positive things to say. The real test will be when I locate some target ammo and take them out fora test drive. I'll also try to get some pics posted in the next couple of days so those unfamiliar with them can see what the shipped product actually looks like.

Oh, and one last thing. The customer service was nothing short of outstanding too. I had messed up and left some digits off my card when I placed my order. The lady that called was extremely friendly and helpful But, I guess that's what you expect from good Southern Folk, eh?

-Gruu
The slightly (minimally) longer base pad will help in seating the mag, especially if you have a flared/extended mag well.

Keep them clean, well feed and comfortable - they will perform when called.
BTW - mine have been loaded since the day I first received them. I agree with Virgil Tripp - there is no need to "rest" a quality mag spring.

Yata hey

Glock It

imported post

Oh I am so over Glocks. I will continue to pocket carry my G29 SF 10MM, but I have sold my G27. My G19 is my 13 y/o daughters so I cant touch that. I am putting my G29 up FS on GlockTalk in the near future and using the $$ to get the Springfield 1911 EMP to take over its duties.

I am swaping completely over to the 1911 platform for simplicity sake incl caliber choice. For awhile I was having to stock 9,10, .40 and .45..PITA..

I was shopping for a G30SF awhile back but my dealer was out so he handed me my first ever 1911 Gov't. This warm feeling came over me as I felt its perfect grip, angle, natural pointer and perfect balance, of course the beauty never hurt. I looked back at the hideous plastic Glocks and that was that. HOOKED !!! I brought her home that day and have put 1000 rds thru it w/mo probs.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

With a screen name like Glock It is that anything like having a tattoo of a former gf on your arm? :p :lol:

Yata hey

Glock It

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
With a screen name like Glock It is that anything like having a tattoo of a former gf on your arm? :p :lol:

Yata hey

yeah I need to change that out I guess. Maybe "Glock AIN'T It"

I have two Wilson Combat 47D mags that the dealer threw in with deal. Yesterday I went and bought two Chip McCormic CMC-Mags , 8 rds, for $30 apiece. I am sure I will get pwned here for paying too much as my local guns shop is always priced wayyy to high but what can ya do ?? I wanted them for friday as I am hitting the range. My daughter just called me and said UPS dropped off two 1000rd cases of federal .45 FMj on the front porch. :celebratefollowed by they are too heavy and will sit there until I get home. I have to get there before the wife shows and see them :shock:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Glock It wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
yeah I need to change that out I guess. Maybe "Glock AIN'T It"
Nah, it ain't worth starting your post count all over and being treated like a FNG. :)

Suggestion: modify your profile - instead of your city and town make it
new 1911 lover in Virgina

or 1911 convert in Va. something will come to mind.

Yata hey

AIC869

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Nah, it ain't worth starting your post count all over and being treated like a FNG. :)
I resemble that remark. Had been lurking here for nearly a year and a half before finally registering. You get what's comin' to you I suppose. :banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AIC869 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
I resemble that remark. Had been lurking here for nearly a year and a half before finally registering. You get what's comin' to you I suppose. :banghead:
Well somebody has to take point. :lol:

Yata hey

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'm an old fashioned .45 ACP guy andOC'd an H&K USP 45 for over a year. I had back problems before I got that beast and carrying that slab didn't help. It is true it was exceptionally accurate. It held a LOT of rounds. It had a WONDERFUL trigger job (unlike most S&W Semi-auto's I've fired with the exception of the Mod 41 and Mod 52). It was just so big andso heavy, I had to set it aside for range use or home defense. My new carry gun has been a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II for the last year or so and I LOVE IT.

When we switched from the 1911 to the 92F in the military, we used to joke "If you can't hit it with 7, why bother with 15?"

Marksmanship is always preferred over number of rounds downrange. When you can remember pistol shooters beat Black Belts at 50 yards, you must also remember another wise video teaches:If you're at 21' or less, you're probably screwed in a knife fight, especially if your pistol is concealed.