• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit Woman With CCW Shoots/Kills Purse Snatcher

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Interesting case. Let's see how it turns out. The pursesnatchers got lots more'n they bargained for...that's for sure.

[font=verdana,arial]September 25, 2009[/font]

[font="Times New Roman, serif"]Detroit woman fires gun at 2 men in purse snatching; 1 dies[/font]
[font="Times New Roman, serif"]
By TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
[/font]
A 43-year-old woman shot and killed a purse-snatching suspect who confronted her at a northwest Detroit gas station this morning, according to police.

Two men approached the Detroit woman around 5:30 a.m. at the Schoolcraft and Southfield Mobil station, Detroit Police spokesman John Roach said. The woman is licensed to legally carry a gun for self-defense, he said.

"They didn't realize she has a CCW (license), so she had a weapon of her own," Roach said. "She fired several rounds at the suspects and they fled."

The pair made off with the woman's purse. But about a half-hour later, a man with several gunshot wounds went to Sinai-Grace Hospital for treatment and died later this morning.

"At this point, we believe this is one of the individuals in the robbery," Roach said about the man who was shot.

Investigators recovered the woman's purse and believe the person who accompanied the wounded man to the hospital may be his accomplice, Roach said.

Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to call the Detroit Police Homicide Unit at 313-596-2260.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090925/NEWS01/90925013/1003/Detroit-woman-fires-gun-at-2-men-in-purse-snatching--1-dies

Police: Detroit woman fires at 2 thieves, 1 dead
Associated Press

1:13 PM CDT, September 25, 2009

DETROIT

Police say a Detroit woman fired shots at two men trying to steal her purse at a gas station, killing one of them.

Detroit police spokesman John Roach tells the Detroit Free Press the 43-year-old woman had a license to carry the gun.

Police say two men approached the woman about 5:30 a.m. Friday at a gas station on the city's northwest side and stole her purse. She fired several shots and they fled.

About a half hour later, a man with several gunshot wounds was brought to Detroit's Sinai-Grace Hospital, where he died. Roach says investigators believe he was one of the purse snatchers.

The other man remained at large. The woman's purse was recovered.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-mi-pursesnatching-sh,0,2330805.story

Carnivore

imported post

(a man with several gunshot wounds went to Sinai-Grace Hospital )

I love it!! no Bullets flying around in town where they didn't belong!!

(The woman's purse was recovered.)

See what puttin a few holes in a bad guy will do to improve your day!!

The local LE dept should be sending this gal some of their state/federal budget money to reward her for her improvements on the fight against crime. She's making their job easier!

noname762

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
 (a man with several gunshot wounds went to Sinai-Grace Hospital )

I love it!! no Bullets flying around in town where they didn't belong!!

(The woman's purse was recovered.)

See what puttin a few holes in a bad guy will do to improve your day!!

The local LE dept should be sending this gal some of their state/federal budget money to reward her for her improvements on the fight against crime. She's making their job easier!

Good for her!! One less BG out there trying to steal from and or hurt folks.

eric55

imported post

was she allowed to shoot if the BG never showed a weapon? or did he? from what i understand if your not threatened with a weapon you cant use deadly force am i missing something

Wangmuf

imported post

eric55 wrote:
was she allowed to shoot if the BG never showed a weapon? or did he? from what i understand if your not threatened with a weapon you cant use deadly force am i missing something

I think you're missing the fact that just because someone doesn't show you a knife/gun doesn't mean they can't kill you or cause great bodily injury. I'm going to assume that the robber told the woman to give him the purse or he was going to kill her, making her fear for her life. So she shot him. And now she's uninjured, and still has her property.

Also, disparity of force: 2 robbers against a single victim. Plenty of people have died after a beating from a couple of people.

B

Bikenut

imported post

eric55 wrote:
This is a common misconception.. that some kind of "weapon" must be present and either threatened to be used or actually be used.

Please consider this simple fact....

Bare hands, when being used to strangle someone, are "weapons".

Fists, when being used to beat someone, are "weapons".

Feet, when being used to kick someone, are "weapons".

Even teeth, when being used to inflict harm by biting, are "weapons".

Decoligny

imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:
I love how Hank titled the thread with "purse snatcher" to describe a robbery.
I really, really, really, hate saying this, but, I've gotta go with HankT on this one. :banghead:

If you read the actual article it says "killed a purse-snatching suspect".

So if you are going to blame someone for misidentifying the crime, blame the reporter.

Decoligny

imported post

eric55 wrote:

Depends upon the laws of the state.

In a lot of states, it is simply a disparity of force that is needed to use deadly force. If two men attack/threaten one woman, then there is definitely a disparity of force. This woman could not have been expected to defend herself against two larger and stronger assailants with just her bare hands.

If, however, she gave them her purse and shot at fleeing thieves, there might be some legal problems in store for her.

Not enough info to make a case for either option.

eric55

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
eric55 wrote:

Depends upon the laws of the state.

In a lot of states, it is simply a disparity of force that is needed to use deadly force. If two men attack/threaten one woman, then there is definitely a disparity of force. This woman could not have been expected to defend herself against two larger and stronger assailants with just her bare hands.

If, however, she gave them her purse and shot at fleeing thieves, there might be some legal problems in store for her.

Not enough info to make a case for either option.
thanks i got alittle smarter today

MetalChris

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Unfortunately. In a perfect world LAC would be allowed to dispatch felons no matter what the circumstances.

okboomer

imported post

Also depends on the statutes for citizen's arrest capabilities.

Oklahoma - deadly force may be used during a citizen's arrestunder very stringent circumstances, but shooting an armed fleeing felon is upheld for police officers, and should be upheld for civilians, but AFAIK, it hasn't been tested yet.

The use of a gun during a robbery (purse snatching is a classification of type of robbery) makes it a felony. There is also aphrase in the citizen's arrest that says, "a reasonable assumption that a felony had been committed." If it goes to trial, I believe her lawyer could make a case for her concern for the life of others encountering the fleeing felons who had brandished a gun ... showing their intent to use the weapon.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Heartless_Conservative wrote:
I love how Hank titled the thread with "purse snatcher" to describe a robbery.
I really, really, really, hate saying this, but, I've gotta go with HankT on this one. :banghead:

If you read the actual article it says "killed a purse-snatching suspect".

So if you are going to blame someone for misidentifying the crime, blame the reporter.

Thanks, Decoligny. I had no ulterior motive, just used the article description.

I think ole H_C is just being picayunish. Or maybe he wasn't regular that day or something...

Carnivore wrote:
And how does that make you feel HankT ??
S'ok with me.

My thread was first, I doubt you noticed that. I was happy to defer to the other thread. The main thing is that we discuss the topic, Carnivore. I don't really care whose thread we do it in....

Between you and H_C, you sure make a niggling pair.