• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you have to tell cop if you have a gun?

seveer13

imported post

Gundude wrote:
seveer13 wrote:
It is my understanding, and please correct me with verifiable facts, that you may be charged with obstruction at the LEO's discretion for not disclosing the fact you are carrying. I also know that for a fact your Permit may be revoked based on a review hearing that can be prompted by any LEO. This is what I was informed of when I questioned this myself. Although I did cooperate fully and disclosed I was wondering as well, sadly I was told it all depends on the LEO and how your behavior comes across to them...

You do not have to talk to the police. Just say, "I decline to answer any questions without legal advice, and I don't consent to any unconstitutional searches." Then close your pie hole. Watch this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Yes you are correct "YOU DO NOT HAVE TO", and that is a great youtube video as well I think everyone on the planet should have to watch it...I sincerely believe that in my heart.:D That being said...it does not eliminate the fact you may be arrested for obstruction and or disorderly conduct, you are innocent if you are legal, but at what cost? Arrest, Bail, Impound, seizure, Lawyer,court fees(Guilty or not), then there is the board review on your license and permit, which you may bring an attorney but is not decided by a jury its a board made up of state representitives in the Nashville system who have to prove that they are effective in enforcement permit reviews which opens the results up to their own personal moral ethics and their own personal point of view on the matter. The fact you are legal will mean nothing because if you read the TN laws on permits in more than one area on the full application said it may be revoked at any time... So if your legal, declaring the weapon and completing the traffic stop is in fact in your best interest. Is it constitutionally correct NO and its unfair and if you have more money or connections then the average laymen you just might prove you were correct and have all charges dropped and still lose your permit...You may keep it but you still paid for an Attorney and those great and unconstitutional court fees you still pay when found innocent...So again its just easier to comply admit and move on with your day, Do not embelish add on to or say anything further than "Officer before we go any further i need to inform you I have a permit to carry concealed and I am armed at this moment" Then follow directions and if you feel you were legally violated take it up with a lawyer or file complaints later and see where they take you...Wow I babbled on sorry about that, Its just frustrating to see people complicate their lives at a meaningless moment when they have larger options after the fact:banghead:My Grandfather has always told me "Always fight the good fight, but choose when and where your battles take place, so that you keep the advantage..."

FightingGlock19

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
I know the law says if asked I "shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer." TCA 39-17-1351(n)(1)

I haven't seen where I have to say if I have a handgun.

If a cop asks if I have a gun do I have to answer him?
So, you're trying to be illegally detained, again? :lol:

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

I don't live in the same state, but we are not required to inform of a firearm. I don't like getting into a position where I may tell the officer, because he will ask you out of the vehicle, where's the gun, where's the permit. It seems to save a lot of hassle to just not answer if he asks.

I want to get my ticket and be on my way. I don't want to get out and play 20 questions

tnhawk

imported post

I try to avoid any problems. If I don't give a reason to bestopped, there's no discussion with the officer.;)

RussP

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
Here is Williamson County Sheriff Jeff Long on audio 6-14-2010. He claims that you must notify. Listen 5:20-5:42. This is typical of ignorant Tennessee cops.
He does not make any such claim that you must notify.

You had better listen again.

Quote when he says "you must notify"?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

some classes are good, some classes are bad

handgun carry permitowners are instructed to notify the officer immediately once stopped, some do some don't

as I said some classes are good some are bad

That came after he boasts of convicting a handgun carry permit instructor when he was an ADA.

What do his words mean?

Nearly ever cop I have met in Tennessee believes they must be notified. This ignorant sheriff is no different.

Do bad classes teach the law? Do good classes teach students to give away their rights?

This so called republican sheriff is under investigation for malfeasance. He is against citizens carrying guns with their 1 day class.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HCP class taught in the Williamson County shooting range is the same class that stresses people buy handgun carry permit badges...

RussP

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:

handgun carry permitowners are instructed to notify the officer immediately once stopped, some do some don't

That came after he boasts of convicting a handgun carry permit instructor when he was an ADA.

What do his words mean?

Do bad classes teach the law? Do good classes teach students to give away their rights?

This so called republican sheriff is under investigation for malfeasance. He is against citizens carrying guns with their 1 day class.
So the Sheriff did not make the statement you accused him of making. You therefore lied when you said he did.

For what reason did he convict the handgun permit instructor? Did the instructor violate the law? Or was this a frivolous prosecution?

I looked for the news article about, "This so called republican sheriff is under investigation for malfeasance." What specifically is the malfeasance he's accused of?

RussP

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
...Nearly ever cop I have met in Tennessee believes they must be notified. This ignorant sheriff is no different.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HCP class taught in the Williamson County shooting range is the same class that stresses people buy handgun carry permit badges...
How about names, departments and badge numbers for all those officers you've met who told you they must be notified that you are carrying a firearm. I'll call them and set them straight.

How about some proof...wait, is that the guy who sells badges on the side? That's already been discussed somewhere. Do you want to make it illegal for HCP holders to carry a badge?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

RussP wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

What do his words mean?

So the Sheriff did not make the statement you accused him of making. You therefore lied when you said he did.

For what reason did he convict the handgun permit instructor? Did the instructor violate the law? Or was this a frivolous prosecution?

I looked for the news article about, "This so called republican sheriff is under investigation for malfeasance." What specifically is the malfeasance he's accused of?

He does claim one must notify and goes on that a class is bad if they do not teach notification.

He's typical of the cops here they don't know the laws.

He's the anti-gun republican sheriff who doesn't think people should carry handguns with an 8 hour course.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

RussP wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

What do his words mean?

Specifically, non-performance of his duty as sheriff.

RussP

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
RussP wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

What do his words mean?

He does claim one must notify and goes on that a class is bad if they do not teach notification....
Where on the audio does he say one must notify?

RussP

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
RussP wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

What do his words mean?

What agency is investigating him? What didn't he do?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

"My officers are concerned, naturally, anytime that there are guns in anybody's automobile no matter who it is. Most handgun carry permit owners are instructed during that class once they're stopped to notify that officer immediately that there's a gun that car. Some do, some don't. I can tell you from experience, I have stopped both. So, uh, as I said, some classes are good some classes are bad."

His belief is that HCP holders are required to notify. If that was not his belief then why tell this story?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

RussP wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
RussP wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

What do his words mean?

What agency is investigating him? What didn't he do?

TCA 39-17-1361

The DA and AG are investigating him at my request TCA 8-47-103.

RussP

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
"My officers are concerned, naturally, anytime that there are guns in anybody's automobile no matter who it is. Most handgun carry permit owners are instructed during that class once they're stopped to notify that officer immediately that there's a gun that car. Some do, some don't. I can tell you from experience, I have stopped both. So, uh, as I said, some classes are good some classes are bad."

His belief is that HCP holders are required to notify. If that was not his belief then why tell this story?
He's talking about information given in some handgun carry permit classes.

Unless the instructors are quoting an associated law, it is merely a suggested behavior, not mandatory behavior.

Do you know for a fact that the instructors are saying it is law?

Can you prove the Sheriff is saying it is required by State law?

You're just mad at the Sheriff for the ATF form and are trying to start every rumor you can about him, truth be damned.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

RussP wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

Unless the instructors are quoting an associated law, it is merely a suggested behavior, not mandatory behavior.

You're just mad at the Sheriff for the ATF form and are trying to start every rumor you can about him, truth be damned.

This story came after he recounted the conviction of the handgun carry permit course instructor. He says in his experience some are good and some are bad, refering to the instruction or lack of instruction on notification.

The proof is in his statement. Jeff Long is the Williamson County anti-gun Republican Sheriff.

I'm disappointed that the Sheriff doesn't perform his duties as required by law. It appears that the DA and AG are going to fix the problem.

RussP

imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
RussP wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:

This story came after he recounted the conviction of the handgun carry permit course instructor. He says in his experience some are good and some are bad, refering to the instruction or lack of instruction on notification.

The proof is in his statement. Jeff Long is the Williamson County anti-gun Republican Sheriff.

I'm disappointed that the Sheriff doesn't perform his duties as required by law. It appears that the DA and AG are going to fix the problem.

Does the Sheriff or the instructors tell participants in the classes that notification is required by law? That is a yes or no question.

Is the statement about good and bad classes only related to notification? What proof do you have that there are not other issues?

You did not answer why the instructor was convicted. What did he do? To be convicted, one usually violate a law. You use the conviction as a negative against the Sheriff. What did he do wrong in prosecuting the instructor?