Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have to tell cop if you have a gun?

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
    Here is Williamson County Sheriff Jeff Long on audio 6-14-2010. He claims that you must notify. Listen 5:20-5:42. This is typical of ignorant Tennessee cops.
    He does not make any such claim that you must notify.

You had better listen again.

Quote when he says "you must notify"?
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

Banned

Post imported post

some classes are good, some classes are bad

handgun carry permitowners are instructed to notify the officer immediately once stopped, some do some don't

as I said some classes are good some are bad

That came after he boasts of convicting a handgun carry permit instructor when he was an ADA.

What do his words mean?

Nearly ever cop I have met in Tennessee believes they must be notified. This ignorant sheriff is no different.

Do bad classes teach the law? Do good classes teach students to give away their rights?

This so called republican sheriff is under investigation for malfeasance. He is against citizens carrying guns with their 1 day class.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HCP class taught in the Williamson County shooting range is the same class that stresses people buy handgun carry permit badges...

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:

handgun carry permitowners are instructed to notify the officer immediately once stopped, some do some don't

That came after he boasts of convicting a handgun carry permit instructor when he was an ADA.

What do his words mean?

Do bad classes teach the law? Do good classes teach students to give away their rights?

This so called republican sheriff is under investigation for malfeasance. He is against citizens carrying guns with their 1 day class.
    So the Sheriff did not make the statement you accused him of making. You therefore lied when you said he did.

For what reason did he convict the handgun permit instructor? Did the instructor violate the law? Or was this a frivolous prosecution?

I looked for the news article about, "This so called republican sheriff is under investigation for malfeasance." What specifically is the malfeasance he's accused of?
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
    ...Nearly ever cop I have met in Tennessee believes they must be notified. This ignorant sheriff is no different.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HCP class taught in the Williamson County shooting range is the same class that stresses people buy handgun carry permit badges...
    How about names, departments and badge numbers for all those officers you've met who told you they must be notified that you are carrying a firearm. I'll call them and set them straight.

How about some proof...wait, is that the guy who sells badges on the side? That's already been discussed somewhere. Do you want to make it illegal for HCP holders to carry a badge?

Banned

Post imported post

RussP wrote:
    kwikrnu wrote:

What do his words mean?

So the Sheriff did not make the statement you accused him of making. You therefore lied when you said he did.

For what reason did he convict the handgun permit instructor? Did the instructor violate the law? Or was this a frivolous prosecution?

I looked for the news article about, "This so called republican sheriff is under investigation for malfeasance." What specifically is the malfeasance he's accused of?
    He does claim one must notify and goes on that a class is bad if they do not teach notification.

He's typical of the cops here they don't know the laws.

He's the anti-gun republican sheriff who doesn't think people should carry handguns with an 8 hour course.

Banned

Post imported post

RussP wrote:
    kwikrnu wrote:

What do his words mean?

Specifically, non-performance of his duty as sheriff.

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
    RussP wrote:
    kwikrnu wrote:

What do his words mean?

He does claim one must notify and goes on that a class is bad if they do not teach notification....
    Where on the audio does he say one must notify?

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
    RussP wrote:
    kwikrnu wrote:

What do his words mean?

What agency is investigating him? What didn't he do?

Banned

Post imported post

"My officers are concerned, naturally, anytime that there are guns in anybody's automobile no matter who it is. Most handgun carry permit owners are instructed during that class once they're stopped to notify that officer immediately that there's a gun that car. Some do, some don't. I can tell you from experience, I have stopped both. So, uh, as I said, some classes are good some classes are bad."

His belief is that HCP holders are required to notify. If that was not his belief then why tell this story?

Banned

Post imported post

RussP wrote:
    kwikrnu wrote:
    RussP wrote:
    kwikrnu wrote:

What do his words mean?

What agency is investigating him? What didn't he do?
    TCA 39-17-1361

The DA and AG are investigating him at my request TCA 8-47-103.

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
    "My officers are concerned, naturally, anytime that there are guns in anybody's automobile no matter who it is. Most handgun carry permit owners are instructed during that class once they're stopped to notify that officer immediately that there's a gun that car. Some do, some don't. I can tell you from experience, I have stopped both. So, uh, as I said, some classes are good some classes are bad."

His belief is that HCP holders are required to notify. If that was not his belief then why tell this story?
    He's talking about information given in some handgun carry permit classes.

Unless the instructors are quoting an associated law, it is merely a suggested behavior, not mandatory behavior.

Do you know for a fact that the instructors are saying it is law?

Can you prove the Sheriff is saying it is required by State law?

You're just mad at the Sheriff for the ATF form and are trying to start every rumor you can about him, truth be damned.

Banned

Post imported post

RussP wrote:
    kwikrnu wrote:

Unless the instructors are quoting an associated law, it is merely a suggested behavior, not mandatory behavior.

You're just mad at the Sheriff for the ATF form and are trying to start every rumor you can about him, truth be damned.

This story came after he recounted the conviction of the handgun carry permit course instructor. He says in his experience some are good and some are bad, refering to the instruction or lack of instruction on notification.

The proof is in his statement. Jeff Long is the Williamson County anti-gun Republican Sheriff.

I'm disappointed that the Sheriff doesn't perform his duties as required by law. It appears that the DA and AG are going to fix the problem.

Post imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
    RussP wrote:
    kwikrnu wrote:

This story came after he recounted the conviction of the handgun carry permit course instructor. He says in his experience some are good and some are bad, refering to the instruction or lack of instruction on notification.

The proof is in his statement. Jeff Long is the Williamson County anti-gun Republican Sheriff.

I'm disappointed that the Sheriff doesn't perform his duties as required by law. It appears that the DA and AG are going to fix the problem.

Does the Sheriff or the instructors tell participants in the classes that notification is required by law? That is a yes or no question.

Is the statement about good and bad classes only related to notification? What proof do you have that there are not other issues?

You did not answer why the instructor was convicted. What did he do? To be convicted, one usually violate a law. You use the conviction as a negative against the Sheriff. What did he do wrong in prosecuting the instructor?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12