• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm Discharge @ Michigan OC Picnic

G27

imported post

I have no sympathy. If you cannot clear your handgun without it going off... well that's just not good. I know that once you do something time and time again it becomes routine and you get comfortable, but people, handguns require constant attention and are things noone should ever become "comfortable" with. Keep your finger off the trigger! It's as easy as that.

Phssthpok

imported post

I'm going to reserve judgment.

I know for a fact that one of our Oregon members put a round through the floor pan of his car while loading, and he demonstrated by posting a video that it was a MECHANICAL MALFUNCTION that released the hammer when the slide was released, NOT a negligent action on his part.

The firearm in question (a Rock Island Armory 1911 IIRC) was returned to the manufacturer for service.

amlevin

imported post

For some reason there don't seem to be as many "Malfunctions" among the more "quality" firearms. How many tiems do you hear of failures that cause unwanted discharges with Sig's, HK's, XD's etc. Seems like more of a problem with those that were selected more on the basis of low cost rather than quality.

Another factor to consider is how many times the weapon has been modified. Seems like the most common "mod" is to the trigger mechanism and I have lost count of how many people claim to be "Trigger Experts".

Just my $0.02

amlevin

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
go read the actual thread in mich. its only about 11 pages long. its linked at the top of this thread. it appears the gun was a new XD or XDm.

Sorry, I was commenting on Phssthpok's post, not the Michigan one.