• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

obtaining public information

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

They may be able to 'play dumb' in responding to a request about a particular call, and can later claim that since no crime was committed they didn't keep track of what data belongs to that call.

A nice way around this is to request access to ALL records for a particular period of time. Be sure you are requesting "ACCESS" and not "COPIES", or they can stick you with a large bill for the cost of making all those copies - most which are unrelated.

For example, you could request "all audio recordings of incoming calls to the Sunnyvale 911 emergency line between 0900 and 0920 on 09/11/2009." Chances are you'll only have to listen to a few calls before finding the one you want.

The same can be done for non-emergency lines (though not all PDs record all inbound lines), radio comms, electronic communications, etc.

Of course, they may tell you to pound sand anyhow. Your only further recourse is to sue.

greg36f

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
im trying to get all of the public info i can in regards to me being detained on 9/11/09 but the PD is being difficult. I have gotten "incident reports" that state only the time and date of the call, what kind of call it was, the location, and a half paragraph of comments.
im interested in going in to review all of the info. what do i ask for as a reference since i didnt give a name? can i say i want to review all of the info they have that is related to the call the responded to on 9/11/09 at 0911 at starbucks on el camino and mathilda? (i JUST noticed that the responded AT 0911, on 9/11, weird)

any other helpful info from anyone?
It's entirely possible that besides the audio, they have given you everything they have. To you this was a big deal. To them, they got a call, they went, they dealt with itand they left. It's possible that you have everything and that no report or any other record was created. The comments are probably a synopsis of the radio transmissions.

I realize that HOW they dealt with it is the issue, but that occured right in frontof you andyou know what happened there.
Good luck in dealing with this. You seem to be a level headed reasonable person. That, I think will take you further in this quest than yelling, screaming and accusing. Walk into the PD and ask them to translate all of the "comments". The worse they can do is tell you to pound sand.

[size=][/size]
[/quote][/quote]