Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closer to OCing...

Post imported post

Today I did something I didn't think I'd do... I wore a white t-shirt. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal to some of you guys, but I haven't worn a white t-shirt in years since I started to CC. Wearing a simple white t-shirt makes anything darker under it show and I was always afraid of 'printing' or the black of my pistol showing through. Since I've been talking to you guys and becoming more informed about OC and what to do in situations with LEO confrontation, I feel more confident in my rights. I know it's not a big step, but I think it may be a first step in actually OCing sometimes in my future. I've always worn a black shirt, maybe a size bigger than usual to make sure I covered the holster clip and the pistol entirely without printing. Today I wore a size medium white t-shirt and carried CC but if anyone looked closely they would be able to tell it was there. Nothing bad happened and I feel confident that I will continue to do this for some time.

Post imported post

This was as concealed as I was going to get at Pike's Place Market on Wednesday.

Post imported post

Excellent! I may actually get a holster for open carrying one of these days soon... I don't see why not. I just need to make sure I have the correct information about laws and gun rights pamphlets on me just in case!

Post imported post

... actually my Sidekick holster fits in my right pocket just fine if I wanted to OC....

:quirky I'm still a bit nervous about it, but maybe soon!!!

Post imported post

Right on my friend .I OC there all the time.Quite honestly I don't think anyone even noticed .Most excellent!

You get used to it.I Have OCed everywhere at all times for over a year I don't ever have to many issues.I do carry pamphlets as once in a while I get someone curious about the gun laws here.Most I talk to are quite pleasently surprised that it is legal..

The capital steps in Oly 9/12.(for those who havn't seen it.There were a few of us.)

Post imported post

I can completely understand, and have been doing similar. I recently been wearing my white undershirt, and my over shirt is not so concealing for my .45 auto as used to be with former wear. It's often peeking out from beneath the shirt, and i wear it un-buttoned so it can be seen at particular angles, if the wind blows etc. I been less concerned about the "concealed" aspect of carryingsince being part of the OC forum. Recently I have done small bites of OC in areas where i was comfortable, and with time am getting more confident.Growing up inCA, and a bad experience with a sheriff in WA has slowed a little progress. But i too am taking my steps towards confidence in OCing more. Just happy to be more comfortable carrying, both physically and mentally, largely thanks to the forum for this growth.

I'm with ya :P

Bat

P.S. Thumbs Up Mainsail, looks good, You too Deros!

~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Post imported post

Lookin good my friend .Who took the pic for you?

Post imported post

Since you are gearing toward your first I thought I would share mine with you... First OC experience was with 2 other WA members at Hoopfest in Spokane...If you have never been, just imagine 200,000 people filling about 7 square city blocks.

That was a bit nerve racking, but once the day was done and 0 people commented... Well that got me over the hump real quick. Rarely ever CC now.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    This was as concealed as I was going to get at Pike's Place Market on Wednesday.
    A GLOCK?!? What happened to all those Sigs? Are you coming over to the darkside, Mainsail? If so. . . WELCOME!

Post imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
    Mainsail wrote:
    A GLOCK?!? What happened to all those Sigs? Are you coming over to the darkside, Mainsail? If so. . . WELCOME!
    I still carry the Sig 1911 and the P239, but I bought a G20SF for hiking. I dropped in a Lone Wolf barrel, 3.5# connector, and some Trijicon night sights. I liked it so much I've been carrying it now and then. The 10mm is a great round.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
    Today I did something I didn't think I'd do... I wore a white t-shirt. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal to some of you guys, but I haven't worn a white t-shirt in years since I started to CC. Wearing a simple white t-shirt makes anything darker under it show and I was always afraid of 'printing' or the black of my pistol showing through. Since I've been talking to you guys and becoming more informed about OC and what to do in situations with LEO confrontation, I feel more confident in my rights. I know it's not a big step, but I think it may be a first step in actually OCing sometimes in my future. I've always worn a black shirt, maybe a size bigger than usual to make sure I covered the holster clip and the pistol entirely without printing. Today I wore a size medium white t-shirt and carried CC but if anyone looked closely they would be able to tell it was there. Nothing bad happened and I feel confident that I will continue to do this for some time.
    Wenatchee right? I O.C.ed there this spring and had no problems. If I get over there again I will p.m you and we can meet at Starbucks or something.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

Uploading .bmp files is *not* cool
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

Aye, thanks for the support guys. I'm a bit nervous about it, but maybe I'll get over it soon. As I've mentioned, I'm a young guy with piercings and tattoos. So I'm used to being profiled by the police for doing nothing wrong anyway. This Wednesday, I'm going in to buy some more ammo and I think I'll check out OC holsters. I have a Sidekick that is meant for CC; it fits in my pocket for OC, but it's a bit uncomfortable there and renders my pocket useless so it wouldn't work for me. Also, thanks for the offer to get coffee sometime... if you're in the area that would be pretty cool. Good to know more people that have a sane head on their shoulders about protecting themselves with guns.

Post imported post

Also, I saw some different pamphlets on here about OC rights and laws pertaining to carrying. I'm not sure which one is the most accurate, so could somebody link me to the most appropriate one? I'd like to get it printed out and carry it on myself when I finally decide to OC in my town.

Post imported post

You could get a Concealed Pistol License and then slowly work towards open carrying by wearing it under a jacket or an unbuttoned over shirt. That way it's legal and you could build up your confidence. I do that sometimes, because I don't open carry very much. I've also seen a few people do that around the Tri-Cities area.

Although after an interview I did, wearing khaki pants, a nice button up shirt and a tie. I didn't get any odd looks, but due to my haircut and my Oakleys I probably looked like a detective. :P
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

I do have my CPL and I've had it since I was 21 (I'm 25 now). I'm working up to it (OC)... it's just a big step for me because of the intimidation and harassment I receive from LEOs. I'm getting closer... heheh.

Post imported post

Sudden valley, I think Starbucks is a great idea! Hahah! That is where almost all of the local cops hang out. Boy, that'd be interesting.... especially if it was my first OC.

Post imported post

I will tell you that appearence does play a part.I am pretty much always in a golf shirt and slacks or pressed jeans.I virtually never get hasseled.So loose the piercings and dress appopriatly and I'll bet a months pension you won't either.

Post imported post

I'm thinking I could wear something like this... but keep the piercings in of course.

*note this is not a picture of me* Also, I don't really dress too weird. Just a plain t-shirt and jeans 99% of the time. It's just the piercings, tattoos and age factor... I'm also serious about the argyle sweater vest... pretty classy!

Post imported post

Piecings are ugly and not nessasary .If you dressed like that pic you probably will never get hasseled.

This is the way I appear most of the time.The cake was presented to me by the local Safeway and Starbucks because I handeled a bad guy appropriatly. Long story.Notice no holes in my face....Hell If I were a cop I would check someone that is dum enough to mutilate themselves that way.

Post imported post

Also here is a pic of a big meet we had at my apartment complex covered by KIRO and KING five.See anyone here with holes in them...I have the video if you care to see. The point I'm trying to make is when you Oc appearance makes a difference.

But just so you know I'll meet you for a coffee anytime as long as you OC..

Post imported post

I understand and I respect your opinion about tattoos and piercings. But what one finds aesthetically pleasing or not is just that, an opinion. I support anyone's right to whatever they like, so long as they are not hurting anyone else or impeding on someones free will. I don't wish to bring up piercings as an issue here because it is off topic, but I do feel it is my right to look how I like so long as I am doing no wrong.

I'd love to meet any of you, you seem like great people. Appearances aside, I think that anyone who sat down for coffee with me would find the same to be true about myself. I mention the appearance issue on here because it relates to my apprehension to open carry. I do dress well most of the time and my casual dress is very normal. Plain t-shirts (black or white) and jeans and shoes. I do like to wear polo shirts and will occasionally wear a suit and tie when I really want to dress impressively. I do agree that appearance does matter greatly in someone's initial attitude towards you, but I think that inner values, good morals and intelligence show much more. I think that everyone should be free to dress and appear as they like, this including open carrying itself.

Post imported post

I live in Desmoines if you want to meet up...

Post imported post

Daath, I have tattoos and I shave my head and wear jeans and t-shirts mostly. I don't have any piercings anymore though. I don't look as conservative as alot of the OC group that I've met with, but that made no diference when I met them all, at 3 events now. BBQ at Jarhead's house last summer, cookout at DEROSS' appartment complex earlier this summer, then today at Burger King in Kent with a smaller group. My appearance might mean I have fewer people in public coming up to talk/ask me about carrying a weapon, but that's ok with me. My wife says my appearance might be a little intimidating to some people, but I'm really not that way. Anyone who has met me knows I'm pretty easy-going and laid-back. I think my appearance helps with keeping away the riff-raff. If you look like "no one better mess with me" then most likely no one will.

If I remember, you're east of the mountains yes? Sorry so far away. For many people here, OC'ing can be easier the first time if you're with a group. Be encouraged though. I was with my wife the first time I did it. (She still doesn't like it very much, but puts up with it.) Most likely nothing will happen and you'll feel much better for doing it. Every time you do it it gets easier until finally you don't much think about it and it feels strange to not OC. It seems strange just reading about people's OC experiences online, there is no face to it and doesn't really seem real. After meeting a few other OC'ers like yourself though, you start to think "hey, I'm really not alone in doing this. There really are other guys/gals doing this".
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Post imported post

Yes, I live in Wenatchee which is central Washington. I don't travel to Desmoines because most of my travel is spent either seeing my girlfriend who lives near Ft. Lewis or visiting my father who lives near Colville. Wenatchee is kind of a crossroads here in Washington and a lot of people go through it when traveling across the state.

I appreciate your offers for coffee and I would like to extend an offer as well to anyone on this forum that comes through Wenatchee.

Also, I saw your pictures at the Burger King Spyder, good work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast