• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Piedmont area - OC reports

livitup

imported post

Late to the thread, but living and working in Culpeper, I've carried in a lot of the local establishments...

Off the top of my head:

Target, Walmart, Lowes, Chili's, Glory Days, McDonalds, Wendy's, Pizza Hut (both pre- and post- fire reconstruction), all the 7-11s, Suntrust on the South side of town, and of course, Grey Ghost Tactical. Probably others I'm forgetting.

The only "negative" experience I've had was at Walmart, where the greeter asked if I was a LEO, and when informed negative, said I couldn't carry in the store. I suggested she was wrong and asked that she check with a manager. She scurried off and came back a few minutes later and told me it was fine, apologized for the confusion, and actually thanked me for carrying.

One of the local establishments has a sign in the front window with the typical gun silhouette and a big green circle around it, with wording below to the effect that they welcome armed customers and bad guys should watch out. I keep meaning to grab a photo of it.

All in all, I think Culpeper is VERY 2A friendly.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
While El Tio's food is perhaps a little better than Casa Chimayo's, Casa Chimayo just feels good.
I have yet to have a problem at any of theshopsI have patroizedin Virginia Gateway.

Wethink the food at Casa Chimayo & Don Pablo'staste like $#!+:exclaim:
We had planned to try El Tio's this weekend,but if it'sonly marginally better it probably isn't worth a visit.
We'll just have to keep going to Anita's.

[line]

Stopped @ Shopper's yesterday.

Hey Agent.. so you believe Anita's is better? Which one do you go to? I haven't been to Anita's in a long time.

Marco

imported post

Anita hands down (imho) beats Don Pablo's and Casa Chimayo.

We've been toAnita's in Fredricksburg, Leesburg, Fairfax and Chantillyhaven't been disappointed yet.

[line]
Back to reporting:

Stopped by Sheetzoff of15 in Haymarket with no issues this morning, needed some coffee after my morning walk (county park off of 15)

Regular_Joe

imported post

OC'd at Culpeper's Target, WalMart, Safeway, both Food Lions, Lowes, McDonalds, Burger King - I have yet to encounter any problems. Most folks either do not pay attention or don't care.

The older generation seems to be the most encouraging - a lot of approving glances and winks! Not surprising - they fought for my right to carry.

Also getting 'thumbs up' from the young generation that have put some time in Iraq and/or Afghanistan. Again, from those who fought so that my family can stay safe back here in the states.

Interesting to see that those who have fought for our country are most supportive to those that want to exercise the Constitution!

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

I put it in the Nova or PWC thread... But its worth repeating.

Target in Gainesville = OK :celebrate

Sheetz in Haymarket = Too busy for anyone to even notice. I kept my arm resting on it so no one got the bright idea. Two guys looked like they were thinking something stupid.
Fosters in Haymarket = LOTS of :what:. SouthernBoy said he hasnt even gotten looks. I went in during the lunch rush when it was packed with suit and tie type business folks. A lot of people looked at it and backed up.

Chipotle in Gainesville = All good, the guy behind me gave me some space.

Seems like Im actually in Nova more than PWC and Fauquier anymore...

Regular_Joe

imported post

OC'd Culpeper McDonald's (no issues - some staring by some folks behind us), than out to Warrenton Clark Brothers to take the wife shooting handguns for her first time, (staff is *great* - OC is not a problem in store) than back to Culpeper at the Dairy Queen (no problems).

We had a great time at the range - wife is now shopping for her own - she's looking at the Glock 19 and compact Beretta (9mm)!

SouthernBoy

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
OC'd Culpeper McDonald's (no issues - some staring by some folks behind us), than out to Warrenton Clark Brothers to take the wife shooting handguns for her first time, (staff is *great* - OC is not a problem in store) than back to Culpeper at the Dairy Queen (no problems).

We had a great time at the range - wife is now shopping for her own - she's looking at the Glock 19 and compact Beretta (9mm)!
If she is in the Beretta terrritory in terms of price, she might like to examine the Kahr line of DAO pistols. I would recommend their all steel versions since those would go in line more with the Beretta products. The K9 would be a fine gun for her. Virginia Arms in Manassas frequently has these in stock in both new and news/consignment offerings.

The Glock 19 has several things going for it over the Beretta. Weight, price, magazine capacity, and reliability make this an excellent choice if it fits her hand and her needs. I have never owned a Beretta, but I have owned three Taurus's in the PT92 series (two full size and one compact). The more recent Beretta's I've handled have continued to impress me.

Just a thought.

Regular_Joe

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
If she is in the Beretta terrritory in terms of price, she might like to examine the Kahr line of DAO pistols. I would recommend their all steel versions since those would go in line more with the Beretta products. The K9 would be a fine gun for her. Virginia Arms in Manassas frequently has these in stock in both new and news/consignment offerings.

The Glock 19 has several things going for it over the Beretta. Weight, price, magazine capacity, and reliability make this an excellent choice if it fits her hand and her needs. I have never owned a Beretta, but I have owned three Taurus's in the PT92 series (two full size and one compact). The more recent Beretta's I've handled have continued to impress me.

Just a thought.
She's wandered into the Beretta territory, but I'm not sure that the checkbook is following! She really liked the light weight of the G19 as well as the feel of the grip. The Beretta had an easier slide - she found my M&P slide difficult to use. She didn't like the feel of the XD (I didn't either).

She doesn't want a revolver (why do gun shop guys keep directing her to the cute pink .38 revolvers?!? ) nor does she want to drop down to a .380. The lady wants a black semi-auto 9mm that is light, with a compact frame, and that is easy to use. Any suggestions along the lines of the G19?

SouthernBoy

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Just a thought.
She's wandered into the Beretta territory, but I'm not sure that the checkbook is following! She really liked the light weight of the G19 as well as the feel of the grip. The Beretta had an easier slide - she found my M&P slide difficult to use. She didn't like the feel of the XD (I didn't either).

She doesn't want a revolver (why do gun shop guys keep directing her to the cute pink .38 revolvers?!? ) nor does she want to drop down to a .380. The lady wants a black semi-auto 9mm that is light, with a compact frame, and that is easy to use. Any suggestions along the lines of the G19?
Here's a few more you might wish to consider. Taurus has a new line of "Slim" pistols.. their 709 line. Also, Kel-Tec might be one to think about. Ruger has their SR9 series which looks good, though their early versions had some problems.

If she really likes the Glock 19, frankly she would be getting one of the best 9mm semi-autos you can buy. This gun has a proven track record and for the money, it is very hard to beat. She'd be at the top of the heap with this one.

Riana

imported post

We were out in Warrenton today, and decided to stop for lunch at a place called Frost's Diner. A little hole-in-the-wall place. Pretty good food, and no one noticed my Ladysmith.

Regular_Joe

imported post

OC'd at Rt 29 7-11 gas station in Gainesville. Customers didn't seem to care and clerk #1 was very polite, but clerk #2 noticed and immediately gave me the angry eyebrows look, banging the buttons on the cash register and staring at me as I left. I simply smiled and thanked him in hopes that friendliness would go further than sarcasm.

OC'd in Warrenton at the Sears and Applebee's (free Veterans Day meal!). No one at Sears seem to notice (Serpa Invisibility Factor strikes again) and only smiles and great service at Applebee's.

At Applebee's, I was with my family at a booth and I was sitting strong side facing the aisle. Several noticed, but no one reacted with anything but a smile or friendly nod.

Regular_Joe

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Just a thought.

Here's a few more you might wish to consider. Taurus has a new line of "Slim" pistols.. their 709 line. Also, Kel-Tec might be one to think about. Ruger has their SR9 series which looks good, though their early versions had some problems.

If she really likes the Glock 19, frankly she would be getting one of the best 9mm semi-autos you can buy. This gun has a proven track record and for the money, it is very hard to beat. She'd be at the top of the heap with this one.
Thanks for the comments. She tried these and ended up selecting a Sig P239 from Greentop! Light, easier slide, faster target acquisition w/factory sights, and trim profile fit her hand well.

Regular_Joe

imported post

OC'd at Warrenton Ruby Tuesdays this evening. Great service and great desserts - a little more attention to the OC factor than what I am used to at the Culpeper Ruby, but no issues.

Regular_Joe

imported post

OC'd for the first time at Culpeper Regal Theater - took our three boys to see the intellectually stimulating Alvin & the Chipmunks 'Squeakquel'. No :shock: at all, except from me after paying $60 to take three kids to see a kids movie...