• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lamar, CO

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

You do realize Lamar is actually in West Kansas rather than Colorado? ;)

Flat, windy, dusty in summer, drifting snow in winter, western edge of tornado belt. The cost of living would be quite low, you're in the middle of the farming region of Colorado and you're 2-3 hrs to the nearest "medium size" town (Pueblo).

None of these are presented as negatives - just a matter of perspective.

If you're thinking it's part of the Colorado Rocky Mountains, forget it - you can't even see them from there.

If you're into the slow, small-town lifestyle and looking for an out of the way place to retire, get out of the rat race, or simply hide from the world, this wouldn't be a bad choice.

Flyer22

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
You do realize Lamar is actually in West Kansas rather than Colorado? ;)

Flat, windy, dusty in summer, drifting snow in winter, western edge of tornado belt. The cost of living would be quite low, you're in the middle of the farming region of Colorado and you're 2-3 hrs to the nearest "medium size" town (Pueblo).

None of these are presented as negatives - just a matter of perspective.

If you're thinking it's part of the Colorado Rocky Mountains, forget it - you can't even see them from there.

If you're into the slow, small-town lifestyle and looking for an out of the way place to retire, get out of the rat race, or simply hide from the world, this wouldn't be a bad choice.

*cough* Fully 40% of Colorado is western Great Plains, rather than mountains.

I lived in Lamar for a little when I was very young, and I've had relatives living there. I don't know what the job situation is like at the moment.

Weather--be prepared for lots of heat in summer. Lamar routinely hits mid to high 90s.

My grandmother said that Lamar was the "dippiest" town she ever lived in. Expect to slow waydown at every other intersection on residential streets for a drainage dip.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
*cough* Fully 40% of Colorado is western Great Plains, rather than mountains.

Exactly. Yet I still run into folks who think that Colorado is mountainous from border to border. Usually some of the same people who return from visiting Anchorage simply amazed that they didn't see a single igloo. :D

eBratt

imported post

Used to hunt as a teen and I would love to get back into it. Also enjoy fishing. I've been pretty active with OC up here in Poulsbo (near Seattle). Going to be a bit cautious with it in Lamar if that is where we end up as it is a small town and I'd hate to alienate the town right off the bat. That's why I was curious if there were any OCers there.

A bit frustrated that they require documentation of competency for a permit. Also, handgunlaw.us says permits run $152 but the county sheriff site says $52. Which one has the typo?

Ethan

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

I wouldn't worry too much about anyone having adverse reaction to your OC. The "worst" reaction I've had in all of CO is a very rare double-take. My one and only LEO encounter was a sheriff's deputy with an obvious case of gun envy eagerly asking me 20 questions about how I like my S&W 629MG and how much he's lusting for one himself.

Documenting competency is usually a matter of having completed a handgun safety course within the past 10 yrs, hunter safety course, or the kind.

You should joing Rocky Mountain Gun Owners Association - http://rmgo.org

Here is their page on Colorado CCW - http://www.rmgo.org/ccwguide/#Summary

Unfortunately Prowers County's Sheriff enters all CCW holders into the Colorado Crime Information Center database as a "person of interest". http://www.rmgo.org/alerts/2007-ccic.html

eBratt

imported post

Getting an error when I follow that link. That is of interest though. If I do end up in Colorado, I'd be interested in helping to push for legislation to eliminate that practice (from the alert I read from 2003, it sounds like that has been attempted but been unsuccessful).

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

eBratt wrote:
Getting an error when I follow that link.

Yeah I don't know why, of all the boards I read and participate on, this is the only one that gives me trouble posting hyperlinks. type them in rather than using the hyperlinks.

Find Rocky Mountain Gun Owners http://www.rmgo.org and there's a lot of good local info there.

Another good local source is Colorado State Shooting Association http://www.cssa.org which is run by a very prominent attorney who knows his stuff.