• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Haves and have Not

taxwhat

imported post

Victim fires gun at 2 thieves; 1 dies

[align=justify]

DETROIT (AP) — Police say a Detroit woman fired shots at two men trying to steal her purse at a gas station, killing one of them.

Detroit police spokesman John Roach said the 43-year­old woman had a license to carry the gun.

Police say two men ap­proached the woman about 5:30 a.m. Friday at a gas sta­tion on the city’s northwest side and stole her purse. She fired several shots; they fled.

About a half hour later, a man with several gunshot wounds was brought to De­troit’s Sinai-Grace Hospital, where he died. Roach says investigators believe he was one of the purse snatchers.
[/align]

Beretta8045

imported post

Read about this on another forum.

Apparently, one local news station reported the men were fleeing and he was shot in the back, but nobody has confirmed this yet.

If this is true, I see a long battle for this woman. Claiming self-defense when the threat has passed probably won't fly.

I hope for her sake this isn't true. One more dirtbag is off the streets thanks to her.

mikestilly

imported post

Guys this is a very bad thing. It would be good if she lived in Texas. I'm fairly sure she will be charged with manslaughter or murder unless she was at risk of great bodily harm or death. I didnt see as follow up article and felt it was important to resurrect this post from the past since nobody said anything about it. I'm Michigan you cannot shoot someone just because they are committing a crime. And that means yes stealing your stuff. Dont get this confused with someone who broke in your house and is threating your life. Everyone should be comfortable with understanding the self defense laws and how you cannot shoot someone unless you are at risk of GREAT BODILY HARM ONLY. This does include rape. Another thing about breaking and entering in your house. You cannot just shoot someone because they broke in. If they are in the process of attacking you that's another story but shooting someone coming in the window can get you a manslaughter or murder charge. If you are in Texas besides for their lame lame lame law banning open carry you can shoot someone in the process of stealing property or breaking in (Check the exact conditions of the law before exercising this right) Too many people don't understand this and it can cost you time in jail if you don't get it right!

Mike

Wglide90

imported post

I'm pretty sure that in Michigan if someone breaks into your home and is in your home and you shoot and kill him it would be legal. Even if he was trying to leave.

The conditions are met:

Opportunity: If the perp is in your home he can hurt you.

Intent: He is in your home uninvited he could have intent to do anything including hurting you.

Ability: If he is in your home he can attack you.

It can not be proven that you were not in danger.

Now as far as out of the home, if you are attacked you can protect yourself and even if the attack is "over" in any point in time it does not mean you are not still in danger and have right to continue to protect yourself. But there's always the gray lines in these cases.

My opinion based on what I've read and told by so called professionals, not sure if all is legally correct.

Correct me if wrong.

taxwhat

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Guys this is a very bad thing. It would be good if she lived in Texas. I'm fairly sure she will be charged with manslaughter or murder unless she was at risk of great bodily harm or death. I'm Michigan you cannot shoot someone just because they are committing a crime. And that means yes stealing your stuff. Dont get this confused with someone who broke in your house and is threating your life. Everyone should be comfortable with understanding the self defense laws and how you cannot shoot someone unless you are at risk of GREAT BODILY HARM ONLY. This does include rape. Another thing about breaking and entering in your house. You cannot just shoot someone because they broke in. If they are in the process of attacking you that's another story but shooting someone coming in the window can get you a manslaughter or murder charge. If you are in Texas besides for their lame lame lame law banning open carry you can shoot someone in the process of stealing property or breaking in (Check the exact conditions of the law before exercising this right) Too many people don't understand this and it can cost you time in jail if you don't get it right!

Mike
Two against one IF on jury would give her benefit of doubt .IF once attacker stated give me your money and you will not get hurt .And IF there may have be treed ore if he said I get you later !

mikestilly

imported post

You are incorrect. And I find it very dangerous that anyone on here who owns a weapon doesnt understand Michigan's self defense laws. I suggest that if you ever plan on using a gun for self defense that you read up on all the laws pertaining to self defense.

mikestilly

imported post

taxwhat: From someone who was on the jury of a murder trial most people on the jury does what the judge stipulates. Follow the exact law an apply what you understood to have happened. If a possible juror cant apply what the judge tells the juror they will never make the jury. We went through 10 people before they were satisfied when they got with me in the jury. Read the laws. If someone stole a purse and they were getting away with it according to the article until she fired back i.e. no bodily harm. If you want to put your life on a jury decision you do what you will. I dont know about you but I prefer to never be charged with murder or manslaughter. Even only a charge like that can ruin your life. Look at the Duke Lacrosse team and what a single skank did to their lives.

Mike

taxwhat

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
taxwhat: From someone who was on the jury of a murder trial most people on the jury does what the judges rules stipulate. Follow the exact law an apply what you understood to have happened. Read the laws. If someone stole a purse and they were getting away with it according to the article until she fired back i.e. no bodily harm. If you want to put your life on a jury decision you do what you will. I dont know about you but I prefer to never be charged with murder or manslaughter. Even only a charge like that can ruin your life. Look at the Duke Lacrosse team and what a single skank did to their lives.

Mike
IF Read what I typed we have NOinfo SO , If IF

taxwhat

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that in Michigan if someone breaks into your home and is in your home and you shoot and kill him it would be legal. Even if he was trying to leave. NOT in this State !

The conditions are met:

Opportunity: If the perp is in your home he can hurt you.

Intent: He is in your home uninvited he could have intent to do anything including hurting you.

Ability: If he is in your home he can attack you.

It can not be proven that you were not in danger.

Now as far as out of the home, if you are attacked you can protect yourself and even if the attack is "over" in any point in time it does not mean you are not still in danger and have right to continue to protect yourself. But there's always the gray lines in these cases.

My opinion based on what I've read and told by so called professionals, not sure if all is legally correct.

Correct me if wrong.
Bold My reply >

Wglide90

imported post

First, if you go into a home uninvited you may get shot legally! Period.

Second, the gray areas in the self defense when not in home could go to jury and be on side of the person victimized. The woman was attacked and her purse was stolen, with here address in it most likely, he made contact to her person, had opportunity to hurt her. So these guys could get her later w/ her addy. These are some of the factors jurys will hear. How far was the mugger from here when she shot, blah blah blah. Many factors to be evaluated. And if this goes to trial against her I would hope a jury decides in her favor.

If I'm wrong show me the law.

mikestilly

imported post

taxwhat: What you are saying is scary. Did you take a CPL class? This was the first thing i was told in the self defense section of the class. Is it on me to find all the info for you? You are obviously the one who needs to look it up ;)

mikestilly

imported post

http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/d_ccwfaq.asp

My CPL has the box labeled "Exempt from Pistol Free zones MCL28.425o(4)" checked. How does this affect my carrying my firearm in an establishment which has a "No Firearms Allowed" posting?

A: Even those who are exempt from the Pistol Free Zones established in the statute must still honor the wishes of any party in control of real estate regarding the possession of weapons on the premises. If you disregard a sign or a verbal or written notice that guns are not allowed in a particular location, your legal status is that of trespasser. One of the results is that you are no longer covered by the "Stand Your Ground" law that went into effect late last year. The Stand Your Ground rule allows individuals to use proportional force in self defense without having to retreat, so long as they are in a place where they have a legal right to be. Even a CPL holder who is exempt from the Pistol Free Zones loses this legal protection while carrying in violation of a posted notice that guns are not allowed on the premises.

A quick review of proportionality: Any use of a firearm will probably be considered an application of deadly force. Deadly force is only appropriate in self defense when it is proportional to the threat. So, a firearm may only be used to prevent death, great bodily harm that could lead to death, or rape. Deadly force in defense of others is allowed so long as the person being defended would have been justified in using deadly force to protect him or herself. Think of yourself as "stepping into the shoes" of the person you are defending. Ask yourself the question, "If I were that person, would I be justified in shooting?" If the answer is yes, your discharge of your firearm will be considered an action taken in the legally protected defense of another.

I was nearly attacked by a loose German Shepard dog while going for my morning walk down the public street recently. I ran and jumped a nearby fence to get away. Had the fence not been there the dog would of got me. I had my concealed pistol on me but did not want to use it unless I had to. What are my rights under the law pertaining to animals threatning to attach a person walking down the street. Can I use a pistol against a threatning animal or only against a person.I have a valid Mi. CPL.

A: Under Michigan law, any use of a firearm is an application of deadly force. Deadly force is legally permissible when it is proportional to the threat. Meaning, that deadly force may be used to prevent death, great bodily harm that could lead to death, or rape. It is entirely possible that an animal could do great bodily harm that could lead to death. So, it is possible that the use of a pistol against an attacking dog would be a justifiable use of force. Keep in mind that the circumstances would have to be such that you are in a place where you have a legal right to be, and that there is sufficient indication that your life is in danger when you fire. If you were to fire when the dog is too far away, or running away, or if you hit something other than the dog, or the dog is a toy poodle, you might face serious legal consequences. The key is that any use of force must be reasonable under the circumstances. I admire your restraint and think that the policy of not using our pistols unless we absolutely have to is the wise course of action.

While the answer contains statements of law and practical advice that are essentially correct, it is worth noting that dogs are covered by different laws than human beings. Under Michigan law, a dog is an item of personal property.

There is a statute in Michigan which states that "Any person...may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing, worrying, or wounding any livestock or poultry or attacking persons, and there shall be no liability on such person in damages or otherwise, for such killing."

However, there is another statute which states that "willfully and maliciously killing or injuring animals" is a felony punishable by up to 4 years in prison.

The practical advice given last week remains unchanged. Only use your pistol if you have to. If you or someone else is in danger of attack by an animal, use your pistol or
other firearm to defend yourself and your loved ones.

There are many more examples of this
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Lethal+force

I hope you dont have a CPL. Otherwise your CPL instructor did a crappy job teaching you about the use of deadly force.

This is one thing I don't like about open carry. There are people out there who are out open carrying that have no idea about the laws pertaining to how to handle a self defense situation. Once you shoot and kill someone you can't take it back.

Bronson

imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Another thing about breaking and entering in your house. You cannot just shoot someone because they broke in. If they are in the process of attacking you that's another story but shooting someone coming in the window can get you a manslaughter or murder charge.
Not quite ....

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(g2hin355yfr5w1edkvpokcef))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-780-951&query=on&highlight=self%20AND%20defense

780.951 Individual using deadly force or force other than deadly force; presumption; definitions.

Sec. 1.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), it is a rebuttable presumption in a civil or criminal case that an individual who uses deadly force or force other than deadly force under section 2 of the self-defense act has an honest and reasonable belief that imminent death of, sexual assault of, or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another individual will occur if both of the following apply:

(a) The individual against whom deadly force or force other than deadly force is used is in the process of breaking and entering a dwelling or business premises or committing home invasion or has broken and entered a dwelling or business premises or committed home invasion and is still present in the dwelling or business premises, or is unlawfully attempting to remove another individual from a dwelling, business premises, or occupied vehicle against his or her will.

(b) The individual using deadly force or force other than deadly force honestly and reasonably believes that the individual is engaging in conduct described in subdivision (a).

While in yourhome or business you have no duty to determine whether the person who is breaking and entering your property illegaly is there to conduct simple property theft or to cause you physical harm.

The very fact that they are illegally entering your home is all the evidence needed of their criminal intent.

Don't believe everything the CPL instructors tell you. Just ask some of them about OC and see what kinds of misinformation you get.

Bronson

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
First, if you go into a home uninvited you may get shot legally! Period.

Second, the gray areas in the self defense when not in home could go to jury and be on side of the person victimized. The woman was attacked and her purse was stolen, with here address in it most likely, he made contact to her person, had opportunity to hurt her. So these guys could get her later w/ her addy. These are some of the factors jurys will hear. How far was the mugger from here when she shot, blah blah blah. Many factors to be evaluated. And if this goes to trial against her I would hope a jury decides in her favor.

If I'm wrong show me the law.

[align=left]SELF-DEFENSE ACT[/align]
[align=left]Act 309 of 2006[/align]

[align=left]AN ACT to clarify the rights and duties of self-defense and the defense of others.[/align]

[align=left]History:
2006, Act 309, Eff. Oct. 1, 2006.[/align]
[align=left]The People of the State of Michigan enact:[/align]

[align=left]780.971 Short title.[/align]

[align=left]Sec. 1. This act shall be known and may be cited as the “self-defense act”.[/align]

[align=left]History:
2006, Act 309, Eff. Oct. 1, 2006.[/align]
[align=left]780.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.[/align]

[align=left]Sec. 2. (1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:[/align]
[align=left](a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.[/align]
[align=left](b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.[/align]
[align=left](2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.[/align]

Bronson

imported post

Wglide90 wrote:
The woman was attacked and her purse was stolen, with here address in it most likely, he made contact to her person, had opportunity to hurt her. So these guys could get her later w/ her addy.
The threat must be imminent. You can't use deadly force on somebodybecause they may come back and hurt you later, they must be either hurting you rightnow or about to hurt you right now.

Bronson

mikestilly

imported post

Bronson: you are definitely right about the open carry. I had to sit though a anti-OC rant pretty much. I saw the statute part (a) you just posted. You might want to google on how that was interpreted in a variety of cases and how it's applied. You will find some interesting results.

Wglide90

imported post

Bronson,

You're right. I was implying that these would be things that could be brought to jury.

We don't know the facts here so it's all speculation about the lady in question. Don't know how close or if all shots were in back as news reported, or if she was hurt. I just hope that she is delt with fairly.