• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shipping Ammo To NC

russman

imported post

I am buying some ammo from a friend who lives out of state, reason, yes it is hard to find around here.

Anyway, I know UPS will ship ammo to NC but is there something out there that states.."it is legal to ship ammo to NC"

Reason: he said the ups hub may ask for something that states NC will allow ammo shipments.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (b) Cartridges, small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material is limited to:

Under this “limited to” section, there is item (i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun; and (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shot shells.

This is the critical part to shipping ammunition. If it is 50 caliber or less, or 8 gauge or less, UPS will take the shipment in a sturdy box marked with a ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms label on the outside of the box. UPS does recommend using this label as opposed to a regular ORM-D label from our research and inquiries to UPS themselves. Part 172, subchapter E states the label should be affixed near the shipping address location on the package. By placing it here, the carrier will see it as they direct the package to the correct location during shipment.

Now, under section 173.115, part (v) it states that cartridges, and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packaging. The label marking is the same as above.

http://www.adazonusa.com/howtoshipammunitionorammo-a-45.html

You are fine as long as it is marked appropriately, and you are the correct age to accept the ammunition. There should be no North Carolina law limiting the shipment of ammo, to my knowledge... however if he is sending you pistol ammuntion you must be 21 but I assume you are.

mekender

imported post

There is no NC law against it so it is legal. In some states, you can only buy ammo with a state issued permit or ID card, that system is not in place here in NC. Depending on what state he is in, it might not be legal for him to ship it to someone with out a permit or Id issued by his state though I do not know for sure.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

I'm pretty sure USPS will not ship it, but fed ex and ups will. However each company will probably have different requirments to ship it, and you will have to take it to a local store and find out exactly what you need to do. It's legality won't be in question as long as you follow the appropriate steps and if it does become illegal the people at the store will have enough knowledge to let you know.

TexanInNCBGR

imported post

I have purchased ammunition several times now online and have had no problems at all shipping to NC. I usually use www.cheaperthandirt.com and I have never had issues having it shipped. Actually its kind of scary, they leave the box at my door instead of trying to leave it at my apt office or at the UPS facility to pick up later if I need to.

jerz_subbie

imported post

I ship ammo often all over the country, even to NJ and CA, states know for strict gun laws.

All you need is to package it securely, place an "ORM-D small arms catridges" sticker/label on the box(I just print the offline and tape them on), take the package to a UPS hub (you cannot use a UPS store), ship via UPS ground, and that's it. No special method of transit, paperwork, hoops to jump through, etc.

USPS will not ship Hazmat (ORM-D) items and Fedex will but it's a bit of hassle.