• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I went to Greentop last night................

bblackmoor

imported post

Toad wrote:
I have found that the majority of gun stores I have gone to are only there to sell products and could really care less about the political aspects of freedom.
If I could find some way of financing the endeavor, I would LOVE to open a freedom-loving (but fastidiously law-abiding *) gun shop in the western half of Henrico county. I did some preliminary research on it, but I think that dream is going to stay a dream. Sadly, although Susan and I have outstanding credit, a quarter of a million dollar business startup loan is beyond our reach (Susan wants to reserve our savings and that debt for building our house, and I can't blame her). If only I had a rich relative. :cool:

It's kind of a bummer, because the IT field is getting more crowded and more cutthroat with every passing day.

Ah, well.

(* It's kind of sad that the political climate is such that I feel the need to make that explicit. But I do, so I did. It is what it is.)

Milbars

imported post

bblackmoor wrote:
It's kind of a bummer, because the IT field is getting more crowded and more cutthroat with every passing day.
Sometimes it makes me wonder if I chose the right careerfield, but getting close to 15 years in, it would be a bit difficult to turn my back on it! It's been my observation that those who are hard workers and are very knowledgeable in their field will always have work. Those who are "pretenders" usually fill in the Tier 0 jobs. Plus you can always count on them to break stuff that we will have to come fix!

buster81

imported post

Milbars wrote:
bblackmoor wrote:
Sometimes it makes me wonder if I chose the right careerfield, but getting close to 15 years in, it would be a bit difficult to turn my back on it! It's been my observation that those who are hard workers and are very knowledgeable in their field will always have work. Those who are "pretenders" usually fill in the Tier 0 jobs. Plus you can always count on them to break stuff that we will have to come fix!

I alsohave this thought floating around in my head on a regular basis. Some days, I wonder why I just didn't dig ditches for a living. There must be a lower number ofjerk-offs on the shovel line. Have you ever heard this: "I didn't download that" :banghead:

Just out of curiosity, if you had to pick another field, which would it be? Personally, I would have gone into law. Thereare a boatload ofcustomers born every day.

On topic,I find the attendants at Greentop to be a little "know-it-all".

VA Lawyer

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, if you had to pick another field, which would it be? Personally, I would have gone into law. Thereare a boatload ofcustomers born every day.
Most of the time I find law to be a personally rewarding endeavor and am glad that I decided to pursue it. However, the irregular schedule, late nights, pressure to "bill" hours and strong personalities can be tiresome... particularly the expectation to be available 24/7. The recession has also hit the legal industry pretty hard. I really feel for recent law grads who have found themselves with a mountain of law school debt and no job to pay for it.

buster81

imported post

VA Lawyer wrote:
buster81 wrote:
Most of the time I find law to be a personally rewarding endeavor and am glad that I decided to pursue it. However, the irregular schedule, late nights, pressure to "bill" hours and strong personalities can be tiresome... particularly the expectation to be available 24/7. The recession has also hit the legal industry pretty hard. I really feel for recent law grads who have found themselves with a mountain of law school debt and no job to pay for it.
I guess the economy in the crapper has taken everyone for a ride in the wrong direction.

Infidel

imported post

buster81 wrote:
VA Lawyer wrote:
buster81 wrote:
I guess the economy in the crapper has taken everyone for a ride in the wrong direction.
Hey guys, how about staying on topic. This is not the IT Times. It's about the service (or lack there of) at gun shops.

Milbars

imported post

Infidel wrote:
Hey guys, how about staying on topic. This is not the IT Times. It's about the service (or lack there of) at gun shops.

How dare you try to derail our derail of the thread! You sir, presume too much! :p