• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metro Security

rpyne

imported post

IANAL, but IMHO, they clearly violated your civil rights. You have cause for both civil (42 USC 1983) and criminal (18 USC 242) actions against not only the Metro Security officers, but also the SLPD officers who refused to proceed with the complaint as they are now conspiring to deprive you of your civil rights (42 USC 241).

They violated federal criminal law so you need to file a complaint with the FBI.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/crim/241fin.php

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/crim/242fin.php

You also need to talk to an attorney to file a civil action under 42 USC 1983.

Letting them get away with violating your rights only emboldens them and others to continue to violate the rights of citizens.

The Federal Courts have already slapped Salt Lake City police for stopping someone for a report of a gun:

Lund v Salt Lake City (2008) US District Court Civil No. 2:07-CV-0226BSJ MEMORANDUM OPINION & ORDER (Fed. R. Civ. P. 56)

Footnote 9

By itself, mere possession of a firearm in public is not unlawful and may well represent the exercise of a fundamental constitutional right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I, § 6 of the Utah Constitution (recognizing the “individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, others, property, or the state, as well as for other lawful purposes,” subject to the power of the Legislature to define the “lawful use of arms.”). See District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783, 2799 (2008) (“There seems to us no doubt, on the basis of both text and history, that the Second Amendment conferred an individual right to keep and bear arms.”); see also Utah Code Ann. §§ 76-10-500 to 530 (2003 & Supp. 2008) (Utah Firearms Act). In Utah, the carrying of a concealed weapon on one’s person in public is a matter of State licensing and regulation, and is routinely permitted pursuant to the applicable State statute. See Utah Code Ann. §§ 53-5-701 to 711 (Supp. 2008). The legislature has explicitly denied local governmental entities such as Salt Lake City the power to limit or restrict possession of a firearm on public property: “Unless specifically authorized by the Legislature by statute, a local authority or state entity may not enact, establish, or enforce any ordinance, regulation, rule, or policy pertaining to firearms that in any way inhibits or restricts the possession or use of firearms on either public or private property.” Utah Code Ann. § 53-5a-102 (Supp. 2008); see University of Utah v. Shurtleff, 2006 UT 51, ¶ 11, 144 P.3d 1109, 1113 (observing that the enactment of § 53-5a-102 in 2004 “dramatically altered the legal landscape, rendering it clear that Utah’s firearms statutes are universally applicable”). The legislature has authorized municipalities only to “regulate and prevent the discharge of firearms, rockets, powder, fireworks or any other dangerous or combustible material.” Utah Code Ann. § 10-8-47 (2007).

As articulated by the Utah Legislature, public policy in this State may fairly be read to condone and even encourage gun ownership and the lawful possession and carrying of firearms in public places. Salt Lake City’s asserted governmental interest in its police officers’ response to a report of a “man with a gun” in a public park cannot be weighed in isolation from this oft-emphasized public policy. In that context, there may well be more individual constitutional rights at stake than the Fourth Amendment freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures.
Edit: highlighting

ichigo

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
I was approached by Aaron Theriault who asked me to talk with him about my firearm. I declined to talk with him and continued looking at the exhibits with my familly
I am the same way. No, I don't want to talk to you about my gun. It's not worn as a conversation starter, I don't want to be your friend so leave me to my business. Use it as a opportunity to teach? Nah, just leave me alone.
I went the the fair on the 19th and there was no way I was going unarmed. I found great comfort walking to my car in the dark with my 9. I hate to say this but because of my schedule, I'm glad it happened to you and not to me. Pursue what is legal and right and there is a good chance you'll win. Also important to find a good aggressive lawyer.

-banki-

cheese

imported post

you guys often find trouble when you carry? Seems like I never do.

WTF?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

cheese wrote:
you guys often find trouble when you carry? Seems like I never do.

WTF?
If by "you guys" you mean gunsfreak4791, then yes. :p

I have only encountered trouble twice, and both times the police learned that I was doing no wrong.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A PRIVATE entity enforcing their agenda whith no authority?

Hit all parties involved as hard as you possibly can. Show no mercy and no restraint.

Rusty_Shackleford

imported post

I will be addressing the St. George City Council today.

Mymain topic is a St. George ordinance that prohibits firearms in city parks (clearly a violation of State firearm laws) I will also make it known that we have every right to posses firearms while at the park as well as all other city/public property and if we choose to OC, they should respect that right!

I have open carried a few times but have never seen a cop at the time I was OCing....But I have talked to a few officers and a Washington County Sheriff Deputy. They indicated that they would stop you 100% of the time. and they don't seem to care to much about unlawful detention.I hope I'm not the only person in St. George to OC....but right now I have not seen anyone OC in this area and I have lived here for 25 years.

It would be nice if I had some support at the city council meeting today.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Well I spoke with the City Prosecutor today and had the cased screened. The officer who took the report was biasedagainstOC. He put it in as a civil case not a criminal case. Also did not investigate the case or put any information I had given him in the report.

I hope to hear back soon from the city prosecutor soon also the case will go civil waiting to hear back from the Attorney.I hope by doing this it will help build case law for Utah In reguards to Private Security Detaining others. I hope that this sends a clear message that citizens have rights andshould not allow private security to allow them to be badgered.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Well I spoke with the City Prosecutor today and had the cased screened. The officer who took the report was biasedagainstOC. He put it in as a civil case not a criminal case. Also did not investigate the case or put any information I had given him in the report.

I hope to hear back soon from the city prosecutor soon also the case will go civil waiting to hear back from the Attorney.I hope by doing this it will help build case law for Utah In reguards to Private Security Detaining others. I hope that this sends a clear message that citizens have rights andshould not allow private security to allow them to be badgered.
Damn straight! :) Keep up the good work.

Kevin

Ruger Collector

imported post

Any updates on this? I'd hope at the very least that the management of this security company be thoroughly educated about the legality of open carry, especially at a place like the fair where it is overtly illegal for them to make ANY rules restricting lawfulcarry, open or otherwise.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I spoke with the city prosecutor who will screen charges.

Also the owner of this company could care less about Utah law. Mr Gunn does not care to discuss this with me or do anything about this happening. I have spoke to a civil attorney and hope to proceed with a Civil Suite.

Thanks
Zach

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
I spoke with the city prosecutor who will screen charges.

Also the owner of this company could care less about Utah law. Mr Gunn does not care to discuss this with me or do anything about this happening. I have spoke to a civil attorney and hope to proceed with a Civil Suite.

Thanks
Zach
Unfortunately, if the SA/DA/Prosecutor just simply chooses not to prosecute, there isn't a damn thing you can do about that.

But for the Civil, since the Criminal system appears to be broken, be as absolutely merciless as you can.

b1ack5mith

imported post

security is just security... do security "personell" have ANY powers?? theyre only people with a fake badge and some pepperspray.... unless these were level 3 security people, then they get a gun that they probably dont know how to use :p

JoeRandall

imported post

Hello, this is the first time I have posted here. But this got my attention. I am a maintenance worker for the utah state fair park. I am glad kelly let you continue your day as you were. METRO SECURITY SUCKS!!! The are very unprofessional and misinformed. I deal with them on a routine basis. There are a few of them that are great but most are not. The do not all carry. but the ones that do are very unprofessinonal about it always jumping aroud and joking around. I am very sorry to hear your inconvenice and I wish I would have heard about this so I could tell metro to worry about things to worry about. Example you were a normal guy with your family not creating any problems. Second example me and my boss were walking around there was a homless guy screaming and shaking a doll around and yelling at people and two metro people just kept on driving by on there golf cart. there were not the same ones you have a picture of but nevertheless the just kept driving. I being maintence I do not open carry due to harm of my firearm when I crawl somewhere but I do carry.

b1ack5mith

imported post

man... i just saw a job in salt lake lookin for someone licenced in armed security (takes a 16hour course) and they get paid 25$ an hour if theyve had 5+ years experience... wow.