• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Changing Addresses

wbhardeman

imported post

Im in PWC and moved to another location within PWC. I asked the county clerk whether I needed to change my address on my CCP. She said no, but I might want to check with the state police. I called the state police and they said I had to.

Now I looked around on their (VA state police) and saw...

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

The address on my Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
Yes, but you may request a replacement permit if you wish. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address.

Key word is "if you wish". Now the clerk told me that all they will do is another background check and it may take up to another 45 days to get a corrected permit.

So my question is do I need to change it. My current DL has my correct address.

curtiswr

imported post

You don't need to but if it makes you feel good then you might as well. I don't see why in the hell it could take another background check and 45 days though... that would be my issue with the ordeal. When I had them fix the birth date on mine they did it right then and there that day and had it waiting for me when I arrived 20 minutes after getting off the phone.

'Course I did pitch a fit about them wanting 10 bucks from me to fix their mistake and reminded the clerk that he was an elected official in the process.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Do not see why a new background check needs to be done - you are not renewing a permit, only correcting/updating information thereon.

Could not find the applicable statute quickly but believe it is covered there.

Yata hey

TexasNative

imported post

§ 18.2-308.K1 doesn't directly address it, and since IANAL, I'm not sure how that's interpreted, but I can't see how additional background checks would be allowed. They certainly aren't required.

Here's the pertinent paragraph from the statute:

K1. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The clerk of court shall forward the permit holder's new address of residence to the State Police. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5, and the clerk of court issuing the replacement permit may charge a fee not to exceed $5. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit pursuant to this subsection shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.
~ Boyd

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
§ 18.2-308.K1 doesn't directly address it, and since IANAL, I'm not sure how that's interpreted, but I can't see how additional background checks would be allowed. They certainly aren't required.

Here's the pertinent paragraph from the statute:

K1. The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The clerk of court shall forward the permit holder's new address of residence to the State Police. The State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $5, and the clerk of court issuing the replacement permit may charge a fee not to exceed $5. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit pursuant to this subsection shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit.
~ Boyd
If it not so authorized/required/stated in the statute, is is extra-legal = improper procedure. IMHO no different than requiring new fingerprints.

Yata hey

bblackmoor

imported post

When I moved from Portsmouth to Henrico county, I called the clerk of court and asked about the address change. She said that the CWP was still valid, and did not need to be updated as long as my driver's license had my current address and the CWP itself was still valid. She said they could update my address when the current one was due to expire.

(And I know what the permit says, but that is what the Henrico clerk of court's office calls it, by the way: "concealed weapon permit". There is even a little sign above a cubbyhole that says "concealed weapon permit applications".)