Thread: Storage in vehicle

Post imported post

Hi guys. This is the section on Open Carry questions...is it not? The other day I asked if I left my loaded open carry gun in my locked trunk in Virginia, is that legal or do I need a CCW permit to stow it that way? I got one reply from a fine fellow from Washington state, but none from the Commonwealth, even with 102 "Views".

Hmmm, maybe if I asked this question as a poll??? Or maybe, it's just a STUPID question.....one that if I get it wrong I could be a guest of the County slam.

Little Help!

Post imported post

If you are going to be asking a State specific question, such as "Is this legal in VA?" then the question should be asked in the VA forum. That way VA residents will see it and answer it fairly quickly.

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    If you are going to be asking a State specific question, such as "Is this legal in VA?" then the question should be asked in the VA forum. That way VA residents will see it and answer it fairly quickly.
    Good comment. GuessI was focused on the "Open Carry Question" section, but your point is well taken. Thanks.

Post imported post

longshot wrote:
    Hi guys. This is the section on Open Carry questions...is it not? The other day I asked if I left my loaded open carry gun in my locked trunk in Virginia, is that legal or do I need a CCW permit to stow it that way? I got one reply from a fine fellow from Washington state, but none from the Commonwealth, even with 102 "Views".

Hmmm, maybe if I asked this question as a poll??? Or maybe, it's just a STUPID question.....one that if I get it wrong I could be a guest of the County slam.

Little Help!

You are fine to store the gun in the car and leave. Dont put the gun out of view until you are getting out and walking away from the car. This is fine in Va. I would not make the transfer with an officer in view...

Also, beaware that leaving a passenger in the car would be a possible problem for the passenger as they are now in a car with a concealed weapon and with noone that can legaly clame the firearm. Unless the passanger is a CHP holder, then again no problem.

Having a CHP will make your life easier if you get one. ...and it is a shame that Va makes you have to ask for something that is your right. Open or concealed carry should be treated the same, IMO.

Post imported post

Locked in the trunk should not be a problem for any passenger, depending on specific state law of course.

Post imported post

In NC, locked in the trunk is perfectly acceptable way to transport a firearm, regardless of CHP (concealed handgun permit), as it is not accessable to any passengers.