• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off topic. Thinking about moving to Alaska--need to ask a couple questions

suntzu

imported post

This is completely OT I know, so I don't want to have a big long discussion--so if you would just PM me your responses, I would appreciate it.

Ok, so I am thinking about moving to Alaska. I am interested in applying to the Alaska State police, and to the Alaska Department of Corrections for a job.

I have looked at the state jobs website, but registration is confined only to Alaska residents, which I am not. I have also looked at the Alaska State Police website for an application and cannot find one. Same with the DOC.

Does anyone know if you have to be a resident to apply for these type of jobs? Does anyone have a link to an application for the state of Alaska that I could fill out and submit?

Last question--how long do you have to be a resident in order to receive the annual dividend check that Alaska gives its residents?

please PM me with responses.

thanks and carry on.

spyderdude

imported post

It would help to be a resident of Alaska if you're going to work here, but I don't think it's necessary to have resident status before applying for the Troopers or Department Of Corrections. I'm sure both of them have a website with their contact information.

As for the dividend yes you do need to be a resident for at least one full calendar year. For example I moved here back in June of 2001 and June of 2002 made it the one full calendar year. Since I moved here in June and the dividend application filing closes in March, I had to wait until 2003 to apply for a dividend.

Wirelesscto

imported post

suntzu wrote:
This is completely OT I know, so I don't want to have a big long discussion--so if you would just PM me your responses, I would appreciate it.

Ok, so I am thinking about moving to Alaska. I am interested in applying to the Alaska State police, and to the Alaska Department of Corrections for a job.

I have looked at the state jobs website, but registration is confined only to Alaska residents, which I am not. I have also looked at the Alaska State Police website for an application and cannot find one. Same with the DOC.

Does anyone know if you have to be a resident to apply for these type of jobs? Does anyone have a link to an application for the state of Alaska that I could fill out and submit?

Last question--how long do you have to be a resident in order to receive the annual dividend check that Alaska gives its residents?

please PM me with responses.

thanks and carry on.

The AST Academy is off of the AST website just google it they are taking apps now.

DOC is one ALEX system when they are any openings at all I can tell you that it is a very tough place to find a job i have formrer LE backround and have applied 6 time in the past two years for DOC in Fairbanks as well as remote in Borrow and have had 3 interviews and all three times all three times they have filled from within...

AST is anouther story I have a few friends that are really good guys that or Troopers the problem is the one that mostly get fired have a chip on the shoulder or are from families that are just so backwards that there brothers are drug dealers and the dads have 5 dui's so they figure they should go into le just to make the family name better. Also i think they are only doing 2 class a year right now.

Normal AST asignment out of the acadamy is get shipped to a village 1200 miles from a road system...

Divend take a few two years till you get them you must be here the year before for 6months and 1 day to get it so it will take you a full two years!