Thread: Drop leg for 1911

Post imported post

I have a Kimber ultra carry and am looking at ordering the Blackhawk drop leg holster. I am pretty sure that the ultra carry will fit despite it being a 3" barrel vs the 5". Thoughts?

Thanks!

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Blac...12677/Cat/1396

Post imported post

Hi Alex. It should fit just like the regular Serpa it's just longer that your gun.

Post imported post

It ought to be just fine. I've heard of a few folks putting short guns in Serpa holsters and taking a Dremel to the holster so it looks better.

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I have a Kimber ultra carry and am looking at ordering the Blackhawk drop leg holster. I am pretty sure that the ultra carry will fit despite it being a 3" barrel vs the 5". Thoughts?

Thanks!

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Blac...12677/Cat/1396
    b4 u buy onea leg holster aint 4 every1,takes practice,try one first looks aint everything...

Post imported post

Are you planning to use this for Open Carry, or while you're hunting, or are you active-duty military or LE? The applicability of a drop-leg for Open carry is somewhat questionable, not only from a utilitarian POV, but from a potential "perception" problem with civilians and LEOs, and heaven forbid, to a prosecutor should you actually have to use your firearm in a self-defense situation...

Modern drop-leg holsters were originally designed for tactical military use, to increase mobility, and allow for the more comfortable carry of the larger sidearms typically used by tactical operators like SEALs and Delta.

Many LEA's have adopted their use, as more amd more civilian LEA's strive toward the unexplainable desire to appear and operate as paramilitary organizations rather than "peace officers".

Wearing a modern drop-leg holster for OC is going to have a LOT of potential problems. "Civilians" (especially anti-gun types) are going to see you as some sort of "mall-ninja", and call you in as a "man with a gun". LEO's are going to perceive you as a Swat-Team-Wannabee, or some sort of paramilitary wack-job and are going to enter into any interaction with you with a Class-A attitude from the get-go. The few advantages to wearing such a harness (increased mobility, more comfy weight distribution) are vastly outnumbered by the potential perception issues that such a rig is going to create, IMO...

Buy a nice leather or Kydex holster and wear it on your belt, like a regular civilian. If you're too overweight to do that comfortably, then I would suggest your greatest health and safety concern isn't some mugger or thug on the street, it is your impending coronary arrest, and maybe you need to drop a few pounds if you're going to carry...

I mean, really, why would anyone want to wear gear that is going to INVITE an attitude from the anti's (who are going to see you as some sort of pseudo-tactical paramilitary wing nut) or the police (who are just LOOKING for an excuse to mess with OC'ers, and walking around in "tactical" gear is just that excuse...)

Save the tactical gear for the range, or your personal property. Wearing it on the street is just a recipe for confrontation with the anti's, be they civvies OR badges...

That's my opinion on the matter...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

+ 1,000,000 !
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

I'm just carrying OWB right now and it works. I just wanted to look into the idea of a drop leg. I bought a serpa to mount in my vehicle, but right now I'm having a problem figuring out where and how to mount it. hmm

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    ...why would anyone want to wear...
    Winter.

Post imported post

If wearing OC during winter while donning a coat is the issue, and you have a Serpa, I believe that this accessory will allow you to hang a Serpa on a belt, and drop it sufficiently to be clear of your coat, without all the straps and buckles of a tactic-cool style rig:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Jac...oop,839,82.htm

And if you're looking for a way to mount your Serpa in your car and STILL be able to use it on your hip without fumbling with screwdrivers, they make a "quick disconnect" mount that allows you to mount a baseplate on a rigid surface, and a QD plate on your holster, and another base plate on your carry rig of choice. It's fast, secure, and allows you to use one single holster in several different applications...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SER...le,1239,82.htm

Just a thought...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

AB wrote:
    Dreamer wrote:
    ...why would anyone want to wear...
    Winter.
    This.

An added bonus for me will be having it for next spring/summer on my motorcycle. The way my SERPA belt holster sits gets uncomfortable after long rides with a waist-length, stiff, form-fitting motorcycle jacket and a backpack with a waist belt. NoVa to Williamsburg was a pain in my side.

Edit:

tac⋅ti⋅cal adjective
    1. of or pertaining to tactics, esp. military or naval tactics.
    2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.
    3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.
    4. expedient; calculated.
    5. prudent; politic.

I think all OC holsters could be described as tactical... They expedite the deployment of a handgun more than a fanny pack, range bag, backpack, or hard case would.

Post imported post

Perception problem?
    Lets be perfectly honest here.
    The last problem we have here is how the holster is percieved.

If you wear a leather holster you're a wannabe cowboy.
    If you wear a drop-leg you're a mall-ninja/wannabe SEAL.
    If you wear a cheater you're a wannabe Secret Service agent or Humphrey Bogart.
    If you wear a mexican holster you're gangbanger.
    If you wear a bandoleer holster you're a wannabe paramilitary.

The gentleman above who gave us a few paragraphs on his point of view seems to be neglecting the fact that the problem is the gun. Not the holster.
    Can the manner in which the gun is carried be used as a venue for criticism? Yes, but any holster can and will be.

Carry in the manner which is a.) legal and b.) most conveniently accessible and useful. c.) suits your preference.

Anything else just seems silly.

Post imported post

Winter... snow/rain ... 'n all that... CC the thing inna shoulder holster under your jacket or wear a SHORT jacket. I dunno what it takes to get you people used to the idea of a separate gunbelt either. If the holster slides around, secure it to the belt with a Chicago screw.

'Had a friend of mine here awhile back 'n I loaned him a gunbelt 'n holster. No matter what he did that pistol would end up somewhere other than his side, whereas I'd never had a problem with it. I ended up puttin' a screw in it for him.

My Bianchi UM-84 (flap removed, thumb break added) has a pair of spring clips on the holster and mag pouch 'n hasn't budged at all. I could put a tactical drop-leg panel on that 'n leg straps too... but then I'd look like a tacti-cool wanna-be. I carry cross draw, which doesn't interfere with the seat belt and allows me to 'draw it' sittin' down (anywhere) if I had to.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Winter... snow/rain ... 'n all that... CC the thing inna shoulder holster under your jacket
    Winter... snow/rain - Stainless

CC the thing in a shoulder holster under your jacket - Different forum

Post imported post

http://www.copquest.com/23-5130.htm

This is what I use for my Beretta 92 here in theater. I have shot using this and the release is unbeatable. The adjustable sturdy velcro belt hook is great. You can raise or lower this quickly and easily for comfort. Pricey but quality often is.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    I dunno what it takes to get you people used to the idea of a separate gunbelt either. If the holster slides around, secure it to the belt with a Chicago screw.
    You convinced me of both of those things.

It takes so much annoyance out of daily carrying. And it's so convenient. No way to forget your mags or gun (or here in occupied america a recorder) when they're all securely together.

Everything ready to go instantly just as you want it, as opposed to wasting time putting everything on, and having to do a bunch of gun handling.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Are you planning to use this for Open Carry, or while you're hunting, or are you active-duty military or LE? The applicability of a drop-leg for Open carry is somewhat questionable, not only from a utilitarian POV, but from a potential "perception" problem with civilians and LEOs, and heaven forbid, to a prosecutor should you actually have to use your firearm in a self-defense situation...

Modern drop-leg holsters were originally designed for tactical military use, to increase mobility, and allow for the more comfortable carry of the larger sidearms typically used by tactical operators like SEALs and Delta.

Many LEA's have adopted their use, as more amd more civilian LEA's strive toward the unexplainable desire to appear and operate as paramilitary organizations rather than "peace officers".

Wearing a modern drop-leg holster for OC is going to have a LOT of potential problems. "Civilians" (especially anti-gun types) are going to see you as some sort of "mall-ninja", and call you in as a "man with a gun". LEO's are going to perceive you as a Swat-Team-Wannabee, or some sort of paramilitary wack-job and are going to enter into any interaction with you with a Class-A attitude from the get-go. The few advantages to wearing such a harness (increased mobility, more comfy weight distribution) are vastly outnumbered by the potential perception issues that such a rig is going to create, IMO...

Buy a nice leather or Kydex holster and wear it on your belt, like a regular civilian. If you're too overweight to do that comfortably, then I would suggest your greatest health and safety concern isn't some mugger or thug on the street, it is your impending coronary arrest, and maybe you need to drop a few pounds if you're going to carry...

I mean, really, why would anyone want to wear gear that is going to INVITE an attitude from the anti's (who are going to see you as some sort of pseudo-tactical paramilitary wing nut) or the police (who are just LOOKING for an excuse to mess with OC'ers, and walking around in "tactical" gear is just that excuse...)

Save the tactical gear for the range, or your personal property. Wearing it on the street is just a recipe for confrontation with the anti's, be they civvies OR badges...

Agreed almost 100% =)

One thing that I would add from my own experience (I use that same leg holster on occasion) is that it does work VERY well for hiking/camping trips. I find that the lower portion of backpack shoulder straps interfere with any type of hip-level holster, and certainly with any IWB holster. Moreso the hip belt of a full-frame backpack makes a normal holster impossible unless you don't mind attaching it to the backpack (I prefer the weapon be attached to ME, not my bag.) I've received the occasional 'look' from passers-by on the trail, and the 'is that a real gun' question from a kid once, but never had any other issues. Of course, this is Arizona, so YMMW. Heck, I've even seen two others carrying with the same rig on the trail before.

Post imported post

You wear what ever works, Period.

If you are worried what others might think, then maybe you shouldn't carry at all. The same anti-gun types say the same things no matter what you are wearing.

That being said, Wyoming "horizontal snow" and ajacket that goes below the waist calls for an extra low holster.

Post imported post

Maybe we should make a law against drop leg holsters, just to keep the "mall ninjas" from scaring people.

+1 @ AB.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

really?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

i personaly think more people should carry on a thigh rig. 99% of the time that i carry on my hip most people dont even notice. how are we ever gonna get left alone by the gun haters if we dont make it more noticable? we need people to get used to seeing a gun on someones hip, leg, or duck-taped to their effin forehead. i mean really? mall-ninja? bahahahaha i carr on my leg because i'm constantly getting in and out of my vehicle or to do a couple miles of running, never had a problem with anyone. i got stopped one night after running and the cop just asked if he could hold it while he ran my info. so i handed him the gun in a different holster with no problem. cops dont seem to mind so why should people?

"so why should people? "

Because "people" are mostly idiots. Proof? 2008 elections, the end.
    Really folks, we're projecting how WE think things through on the subject.
    John Q. Jerky, registered Demitard, doesnt often apply any kind of logic that any of us would recognize,otherwise he'd likely be carrying a piece himself..

I'm seeking a decent, leather, low-ride myself-not for appearance's sake,but because I find the typical hi-ride holsters uncomfortable, and less than ergonomic. But not to the extent I want a thigh-rig. I considered one for all of about 1 minute, before re-thinking that idea, and how it would be viewed the moment I left the house.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u2draw View Post
    i personaly think more people should carry on a thigh rig. 99% of the time that i carry on my hip most people dont even notice. how are we ever gonna get left alone by the gun haters if we dont make it more noticable? we need people to get used to seeing a gun on someones hip, leg, or duck-taped to their effin forehead. i mean really? mall-ninja? bahahahaha i carr on my leg because i'm constantly getting in and out of my vehicle or to do a couple miles of running, never had a problem with anyone. i got stopped one night after running and the cop just asked if he could hold it while he ran my info. so i handed him the gun in a different holster with no problem. cops dont seem to mind so why should people?
    Welcome 2fast - agree that people should be able to choose what style of holster is right for them individually. We don't need to make it more noticeable, more in your face - our purpose is multifaceted: accessibility, comfort, education and simply I like it that way. Different people embrace these aspects in varying degrees.

Don't know why you would have consensually allowed being disarmed and the numbers run. The "handed" the LEO your gun in a "different" holster raises some interesting questions that might bear some further elaboration.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

LOL I carry (hahaha sounds like I been doing this for a while but actually only one OC to my name....just what I picked out from the get go for my Judge) in a DL because of the way I dress it would be hard to access for me and seen by others so as not to confuse CC with OC. I am female and while it may look mall ninja to some my ariats-jeans and low cut tshirts might change there minds

My firearm and the way I carry it is not for everyone but it works for me
    Last edited by Twiztid Angel; 03-13-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: adding

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    You're sounding a lot like those who nay-say against OC. Would you like to continue on with your conjecture? Or would like to hear the benefit of my experienced, OCing with a drop-leg holster for the last 14 months?

I've had no perception problem with either civilians (hundreds) or LEOs (half a dozen). Neither have I had any utilitarian issues (I assume you mean sitting in a chair or being seat-belted in a vehicle). This next bit is state-specific, but justifiability here in Colorado Springs does not hinge on what type of holster one uses.

Modern drop-leg holsters were originally designed for tactical military use...
    So were modern firearms.

...to increase mobility, and allow for the more comfortable carry of the larger sidearms typically used by tactical operators like SEALs and Delta.
    No. They switched from normal belt holsters to thigh holsters (the proper term) to allow room for tactical vests, including body armor. This holsters have been around since the days of the U.S. Cavalry. - Source

Also, no. Law enforcement began using them for the same reason military forces are using them: body armor.

Wearing a modern drop-leg holster for OC is going to have a LOT of potential problems.
    I've OC'd every day for 14 months and that hasn't happened.

"Civilians" (especially anti-gun types) are going to see you as some sort of "mall-ninja", and call you in as a "man with a gun".
    I've OC'd every day for 14 months, encountering hundreds, if not well over a thousand civilians, and that hasn't happened. I do stay out of the mall, though, as it's posted.

LEO's are going to perceive you as a Swat-Team-Wannabee, or some sort of paramilitary wack-job and are going to enter into any interaction with you with a Class-A attitude from the get-go.
    I've OC'd every day for 14 months, encountering six law enforcement officers while out and about on three different occasions, and that hasn't happened.

The few advantages to wearing such a harness (increased mobility, more comfy weight distribution) are vastly outnumbered by the potential perception issues that such a rig is going to create, IMO...
    You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to my experience, and my experience in the war in Iraq convinced me that a thigh holster was the way to go for all the reasons you mentioned. My experience over the last 14 months has convinced me that none of your concerns has ever, nor is likely to come true.

Buy a nice leather or Kydex holster and wear it on your belt...
    Now that's an opinion I think is a good one. But it's not the only one.

...like a regular civilian.
    What do you think I am? Chopped liver?!!! I may have been in the military, but when that time is over, one is either discharged or retired, whereupon I became a "regular civilian." No special privaleges. Hell, these days I even wear a pony tail. Please don't hold it against me!

If you're too overweight to do that comfortably, then I would suggest your greatest health and safety concern isn't some mugger or thug on the street, it is your impending coronary arrest, and maybe you need to drop a few pounds if you're going to carry...
    That's always good advice, Dreamer, and as I blew off this morning's exercise, I'll double-up tomorrow!

I mean, really, why would anyone want to wear gear that is going to INVITE..
    Your assumption is that it would invite a different attitude than OC does in general. Again, that's not been my experience. If anything, wearing my black nylon tactical holster against my black pants draws less attention than did wearing my 9mm in my tan leather OWB holster.

...who are going to see you as some sort of pseudo-tactical paramilitary wing nut...
    More unfounded conjecture.

...or the police (who are just LOOKING for an excuse to mess with OC'ers)...
    Because they're openly carrying a firearm, not because they're using a common style of holster.

...and walking around in "tactical" gear is just that excuse...
    An opinion I don't share. Thigh holsters were originally invented for utilitarian purposes, as you originall stated. For me, it's a comfort thing, not a tactical thing. Regardless, it's proper name is a thigh holster.

Wearing it on the street is just a recipe for confrontation with the anti's, be they civvies OR badges...

Yes, it is. And again, my experience says your opinion, at least on this matter, is unfounded conjecture.

Nothing personal, Dreamer, as I respect a lot of your opinions. On this matter, however, your opinion sounds much the same as CC purists' opinions against OC, if not Brady Buncher's opinions against firearms in general. (shrugs) Sorry!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.