• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drop leg for 1911

brokenbarrel

Dreamer

imported post

Are you planning to use this for Open Carry, or while you're hunting, or are you active-duty military or LE? The applicability of a drop-leg for Open carry is somewhat questionable, not only from a utilitarian POV, but from a potential "perception" problem with civilians and LEOs, and heaven forbid, to a prosecutor should you actually have to use your firearm in a self-defense situation...

Modern drop-leg holsters were originally designed for tactical military use, to increase mobility, and allow for the more comfortable carry of the larger sidearms typically used by tactical operators like SEALs and Delta.

Many LEA's have adopted their use, as more amd more civilian LEA's strive toward the unexplainable desire to appear and operate as paramilitary organizations rather than "peace officers".

Wearing a modern drop-leg holster for OC is going to have a LOT of potential problems. "Civilians" (especially anti-gun types) are going to see you as some sort of "mall-ninja", and call you in as a "man with a gun". LEO's are going to perceive you as a Swat-Team-Wannabee, or some sort of paramilitary wack-job and are going to enter into any interaction with you with a Class-A attitude from the get-go. The few advantages to wearing such a harness (increased mobility, more comfy weight distribution) are vastly outnumbered by the potential perception issues that such a rig is going to create, IMO...

Buy a nice leather or Kydex holster and wear it on your belt, like a regular civilian. If you're too overweight to do that comfortably, then I would suggest your greatest health and safety concern isn't some mugger or thug on the street, it is your impending coronary arrest, and maybe you need to drop a few pounds if you're going to carry...

I mean, really, why would anyone want to wear gear that is going to INVITE an attitude from the anti's (who are going to see you as some sort of pseudo-tactical paramilitary wing nut) or the police (who are just LOOKING for an excuse to mess with OC'ers, and walking around in "tactical" gear is just that excuse...)

Save the tactical gear for the range, or your personal property. Wearing it on the street is just a recipe for confrontation with the anti's, be they civvies OR badges...

That's my opinion on the matter...

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I'm just carrying OWB right now and it works. I just wanted to look into the idea of a drop leg. I bought a serpa to mount in my vehicle, but right now I'm having a problem figuring out where and how to mount it. hmm

Dreamer

imported post

If wearing OC during winter while donning a coat is the issue, and you have a Serpa, I believe that this accessory will allow you to hang a Serpa on a belt, and drop it sufficiently to be clear of your coat, without all the straps and buckles of a tactic-cool style rig:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Jacket-Slot-Duty-Belt-Loop,839,82.htm

And if you're looking for a way to mount your Serpa in your car and STILL be able to use it on your hip without fumbling with screwdrivers, they make a "quick disconnect" mount that allows you to mount a baseplate on a rigid surface, and a QD plate on your holster, and another base plate on your carry rig of choice. It's fast, secure, and allows you to use one single holster in several different applications...

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-Quick-Disconnect-Kit-2-Female1-Male,1239,82.htm

Just a thought...

Wangmuf

imported post

AB wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
...why would anyone want to wear...
Winter.

This.

An added bonus for me will be having it for next spring/summer on my motorcycle. The way my SERPA belt holster sits gets uncomfortable after long rides with a waist-length, stiff, form-fitting motorcycle jacket and a backpack with a waist belt. NoVa to Williamsburg was a pain in my side.

Edit:

tac⋅ti⋅cal adjective
1. of or pertaining to tactics, esp. military or naval tactics.
2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.
3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.
4. expedient; calculated.
5. prudent; politic.

I think all OC holsters could be described as tactical... They expedite the deployment of a handgun more than a fanny pack, range bag, backpack, or hard case would.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Perception problem?
Lets be perfectly honest here.
The last problem we have here is how the holster is percieved.

If you wear a leather holster you're a wannabe cowboy.
If you wear a drop-leg you're a mall-ninja/wannabe SEAL.
If you wear a cheater you're a wannabe Secret Service agent or Humphrey Bogart.
If you wear a mexican holster you're gangbanger.
If you wear a bandoleer holster you're a wannabe paramilitary.

The gentleman above who gave us a few paragraphs on his point of view seems to be neglecting the fact that the problem is the gun. Not the holster.
Can the manner in which the gun is carried be used as a venue for criticism? Yes, but any holster can and will be.

Carry in the manner which is a.) legal and b.) most conveniently accessible and useful. c.) suits your preference.

Anything else just seems silly.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Winter... snow/rain ... 'n all that... CC the thing inna shoulder holster under your jacket or wear a SHORT jacket. I dunno what it takes to get you people used to the idea of a separate gunbelt either. If the holster slides around, secure it to the belt with a Chicago screw.

'Had a friend of mine here awhile back 'n I loaned him a gunbelt 'n holster. No matter what he did that pistol would end up somewhere other than his side, whereas I'd never had a problem with it. I ended up puttin' a screw in it for him.

My Bianchi UM-84 (flap removed, thumb break added) has a pair of spring clips on the holster and mag pouch 'n hasn't budged at all. I could put a tactical drop-leg panel on that 'n leg straps too... but then I'd look like a tacti-cool wanna-be. I carry cross draw, which doesn't interfere with the seat belt and allows me to 'draw it' sittin' down (anywhere) if I had to.

AB

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Winter... snow/rain ... 'n all that... CC the thing inna shoulder holster under your jacket
Winter... snow/rain - Stainless

CC the thing in a shoulder holster under your jacket - Different forum

Michigander

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I dunno what it takes to get you people used to the idea of a separate gunbelt either. If the holster slides around, secure it to the belt with a Chicago screw.
You convinced me of both of those things. ;)

It takes so much annoyance out of daily carrying. And it's so convenient. No way to forget your mags or gun (or here in occupied america a recorder) when they're all securely together.

Everything ready to go instantly just as you want it, as opposed to wasting time putting everything on, and having to do a bunch of gun handling.

Thoreau

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Are you planning to use this for Open Carry, or while you're hunting, or are you active-duty military or LE? The applicability of a drop-leg for Open carry is somewhat questionable, not only from a utilitarian POV, but from a potential "perception" problem with civilians and LEOs, and heaven forbid, to a prosecutor should you actually have to use your firearm in a self-defense situation...

Modern drop-leg holsters were originally designed for tactical military use, to increase mobility, and allow for the more comfortable carry of the larger sidearms typically used by tactical operators like SEALs and Delta.

Many LEA's have adopted their use, as more amd more civilian LEA's strive toward the unexplainable desire to appear and operate as paramilitary organizations rather than "peace officers".

Wearing a modern drop-leg holster for OC is going to have a LOT of potential problems. "Civilians" (especially anti-gun types) are going to see you as some sort of "mall-ninja", and call you in as a "man with a gun". LEO's are going to perceive you as a Swat-Team-Wannabee, or some sort of paramilitary wack-job and are going to enter into any interaction with you with a Class-A attitude from the get-go. The few advantages to wearing such a harness (increased mobility, more comfy weight distribution) are vastly outnumbered by the potential perception issues that such a rig is going to create, IMO...

Buy a nice leather or Kydex holster and wear it on your belt, like a regular civilian. If you're too overweight to do that comfortably, then I would suggest your greatest health and safety concern isn't some mugger or thug on the street, it is your impending coronary arrest, and maybe you need to drop a few pounds if you're going to carry...

I mean, really, why would anyone want to wear gear that is going to INVITE an attitude from the anti's (who are going to see you as some sort of pseudo-tactical paramilitary wing nut) or the police (who are just LOOKING for an excuse to mess with OC'ers, and walking around in "tactical" gear is just that excuse...)

Save the tactical gear for the range, or your personal property. Wearing it on the street is just a recipe for confrontation with the anti's, be they civvies OR badges...

Agreed almost 100% =)

One thing that I would add from my own experience (I use that same leg holster on occasion) is that it does work VERY well for hiking/camping trips. I find that the lower portion of backpack shoulder straps interfere with any type of hip-level holster, and certainly with any IWB holster. Moreso the hip belt of a full-frame backpack makes a normal holster impossible unless you don't mind attaching it to the backpack (I prefer the weapon be attached to ME, not my bag.) I've received the occasional 'look' from passers-by on the trail, and the 'is that a real gun' question from a kid once, but never had any other issues. Of course, this is Arizona, so YMMW. Heck, I've even seen two others carrying with the same rig on the trail before.

AB

imported post

You wear what ever works, Period.

If you are worried what others might think, then maybe you shouldn't carry at all. The same anti-gun types say the same things no matter what you are wearing.

That being said, Wyoming "horizontal snow" and ajacket that goes below the waist calls for an extra low holster.

2fast4u2draw

really?

i personaly think more people should carry on a thigh rig. 99% of the time that i carry on my hip most people dont even notice. how are we ever gonna get left alone by the gun haters if we dont make it more noticable? we need people to get used to seeing a gun on someones hip, leg, or duck-taped to their effin forehead. i mean really? mall-ninja? bahahahaha i carr on my leg because i'm constantly getting in and out of my vehicle or to do a couple miles of running, never had a problem with anyone. i got stopped one night after running and the cop just asked if he could hold it while he ran my info. so i handed him the gun in a different holster with no problem. cops dont seem to mind so why should people?

j4l

"so why should people? "

Because "people" are mostly idiots. Proof? 2008 elections, the end.
Really folks, we're projecting how WE think things through on the subject.
John Q. Jerky, registered Demitard, doesnt often apply any kind of logic that any of us would recognize,otherwise he'd likely be carrying a piece himself..

I'm seeking a decent, leather, low-ride myself-not for appearance's sake,but because I find the typical hi-ride holsters uncomfortable, and less than ergonomic. But not to the extent I want a thigh-rig. I considered one for all of about 1 minute, before re-thinking that idea, and how it would be viewed the moment I left the house.