• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drop leg for 1911

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i personaly think more people should carry on a thigh rig. 99% of the time that i carry on my hip most people dont even notice. how are we ever gonna get left alone by the gun haters if we dont make it more noticable? we need people to get used to seeing a gun on someones hip, leg, or duck-taped to their effin forehead. i mean really? mall-ninja? bahahahaha i carr on my leg because i'm constantly getting in and out of my vehicle or to do a couple miles of running, never had a problem with anyone. i got stopped one night after running and the cop just asked if he could hold it while he ran my info. so i handed him the gun in a different holster with no problem. cops dont seem to mind so why should people?

Welcome 2fast - agree that people should be able to choose what style of holster is right for them individually. We don't need to make it more noticeable, more in your face - our purpose is multifaceted: accessibility, comfort, education and simply I like it that way. Different people embrace these aspects in varying degrees.

Don't know why you would have consensually allowed being disarmed and the numbers run. The "handed" the LEO your gun in a "different" holster raises some interesting questions that might bear some further elaboration.

Twiztid Angel

LOL I carry (hahaha sounds like I been doing this for a while but actually only one OC to my name....just what I picked out from the get go for my Judge) in a DL because of the way I dress it would be hard to access for me and seen by others so as not to confuse CC with OC. I am female and while it may look mall ninja to some my ariats-jeans and low cut tshirts might change there minds:lol:

My firearm and the way I carry it is not for everyone but it works for me :p

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Are you planning to use this for Open Carry, or while you're hunting, or are you active-duty military or LE? The applicability of a drop-leg for Open carry is somewhat questionable, not only from a utilitarian POV, but from a potential "perception" problem with civilians and LEOs, and heaven forbid, to a prosecutor should you actually have to use your firearm in a self-defense situation...

You're sounding a lot like those who nay-say against OC. Would you like to continue on with your conjecture? Or would like to hear the benefit of my experienced, OCing with a drop-leg holster for the last 14 months?

I've had no perception problem with either civilians (hundreds) or LEOs (half a dozen). Neither have I had any utilitarian issues (I assume you mean sitting in a chair or being seat-belted in a vehicle). This next bit is state-specific, but justifiability here in Colorado Springs does not hinge on what type of holster one uses.

Modern drop-leg holsters were originally designed for tactical military use...

So were modern firearms.

...to increase mobility, and allow for the more comfortable carry of the larger sidearms typically used by tactical operators like SEALs and Delta.

No. They switched from normal belt holsters to thigh holsters (the proper term) to allow room for tactical vests, including body armor. This holsters have been around since the days of the U.S. Cavalry. - Source

Many LEA's have adopted their use, as more amd more civilian LEA's strive toward the unexplainable desire to appear and operate as paramilitary organizations rather than "peace officers".

Also, no. Law enforcement began using them for the same reason military forces are using them: body armor.

Wearing a modern drop-leg holster for OC is going to have a LOT of potential problems.

I've OC'd every day for 14 months and that hasn't happened.

"Civilians" (especially anti-gun types) are going to see you as some sort of "mall-ninja", and call you in as a "man with a gun".

I've OC'd every day for 14 months, encountering hundreds, if not well over a thousand civilians, and that hasn't happened. I do stay out of the mall, though, as it's posted.

LEO's are going to perceive you as a Swat-Team-Wannabee, or some sort of paramilitary wack-job and are going to enter into any interaction with you with a Class-A attitude from the get-go.

I've OC'd every day for 14 months, encountering six law enforcement officers while out and about on three different occasions, and that hasn't happened.

The few advantages to wearing such a harness (increased mobility, more comfy weight distribution) are vastly outnumbered by the potential perception issues that such a rig is going to create, IMO...

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to my experience, and my experience in the war in Iraq convinced me that a thigh holster was the way to go for all the reasons you mentioned. My experience over the last 14 months has convinced me that none of your concerns has ever, nor is likely to come true.

Buy a nice leather or Kydex holster and wear it on your belt...

Now that's an opinion I think is a good one. But it's not the only one.

...like a regular civilian.

What do you think I am? Chopped liver?!!! I may have been in the military, but when that time is over, one is either discharged or retired, whereupon I became a "regular civilian." No special privaleges. Hell, these days I even wear a pony tail. Please don't hold it against me!

If you're too overweight to do that comfortably, then I would suggest your greatest health and safety concern isn't some mugger or thug on the street, it is your impending coronary arrest, and maybe you need to drop a few pounds if you're going to carry...

That's always good advice, Dreamer, and as I blew off this morning's exercise, I'll double-up tomorrow!

I mean, really, why would anyone want to wear gear that is going to INVITE..

Your assumption is that it would invite a different attitude than OC does in general. Again, that's not been my experience. If anything, wearing my black nylon tactical holster against my black pants draws less attention than did wearing my 9mm in my tan leather OWB holster.

...who are going to see you as some sort of pseudo-tactical paramilitary wing nut...

More unfounded conjecture.

...or the police (who are just LOOKING for an excuse to mess with OC'ers)...

Because they're openly carrying a firearm, not because they're using a common style of holster.

...and walking around in "tactical" gear is just that excuse...

An opinion I don't share. Thigh holsters were originally invented for utilitarian purposes, as you originall stated. For me, it's a comfort thing, not a tactical thing. Regardless, it's proper name is a thigh holster.

Wearing it on the street is just a recipe for confrontation with the anti's, be they civvies OR badges...

That's my opinion on the matter...

Yes, it is. And again, my experience says your opinion, at least on this matter, is unfounded conjecture.

Nothing personal, Dreamer, as I respect a lot of your opinions. On this matter, however, your opinion sounds much the same as CC purists' opinions against OC, if not Brady Buncher's opinions against firearms in general. (shrugs) Sorry!