• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

boob..

TechnoWeenie

imported post

From a bit ago, but still...

Link

Henry is currently working on a Gun Safety Initiative to require all Oakland hand gun owners to receive safety training and be issued a license after the successful completion of training (this is a retroactive requirement). The license will also require the installation of trigger locks for all handguns and the provision of locked cabinets to prevent guns from falling into the hands of children.

Gun Control:

Henry is the leading gun control advocate in the region. Henry wrote an ordinance prohibiting the sale of Saturday Night Specials in Oakland. These laws ban the sale of junk guns-poorly made, cheap guns that are easy to get. These types of guns are often used to commit crimes, causing heartache for victims' families affected by the violence. Through Henry's lobbying efforts the proposal initiated by Oakland was passed by some 16 contiguous East Bay cities during the same week. Shortly after his election as Governor, Gray Davis signed into law a measure that was based on the Oakland Junk Gun Ban for the entire state of California.

Henry also worked hard to pass a Gross Receipts Sales Tax that required all stores selling weapons or ammunition to charge an increased sales tax on every item sold in those stores. Due to Proposition 218, this proposal went to the voters for affirmation after passage by the Council. Oakland voters approved the measure by 75 percent. As a result of this measure, Oakland's Super K-Mart decided to stop selling all guns and ammunition. Soon after, the only gun store in Oakland, Siegles, closed.

Henry worked to pass an ordinance requiring trigger locks for all firearms sold in Oakland. The measure was approved unanimously by the City Council. This measure was mirrored and passed by the state Legislature.

Henry worked with San Francisco Supervisor Alicia Becerril to pass legislation that banned the sale of ultra compact handguns. These handguns have a barrel less than six inches long and are marketed as "easily concealable." With the support of both cities' police departments as well as community based organizations such as Youth Alive, Teens on Target, Handgun Control, Inc. and the Bell Campaign, both cities passed the legislation and are working with other communities throughout California to assist in passing similar legislation.
Most recently, Henry wrote and received Council approval for an ordinance requiring gun owners to report a lost or stolen gun to the police department within 48 hours. Other nearby communities are considering adopting an ordinance similar to Oakland's. This ordinance will help to stem the flow of guns into our neighborhoods through illegal "straw sales," in which adults sell or transfer guns to minors and ex-felons.

Henry worked tirelessly to create the police department's gun tracing program, based upon his belief that gun owners and manufacturers must be held accountable for violent crimes and senseless violence in our community due to illegal use of firearms.

Henry's philosophy on gun control is to develop legislation that can be adopted by other communities and passed at the statewide level. We have worked to provide models of effective gun control efforts.

demnogis

imported post

CA subjects are already required to pass a safety test to obtain eligibility to purchase a handgun.

This Handgun Safety Certificate Test can only be avoided if:
- You currently have a valid HSC
- You are Law Enforcement or Active Duty military
- Dead?

Sounds like he's trying to pass some "feel good" legislation.

NightOwl

imported post

I need tomove toCA for about 6 months, or so...and stuff like this really makes me not want to.

I currently live in Idaho. The gun climate is so nice here. Just go buy a pistol and holster, wear it, no permit for OC...why is it that in CA people are so obsessed with the need to regulate the lives of others? (not that all the people in CA are, but enough to keep passing these laws)

Perhaps I need to reconsider and go elsewhere instead of there. What a nightmare that state is, and it seems to get worse every year.

JBURGII

imported post

I moved back home to Oregon after over 10 years in Cali.. the highly restrictive laws were one of the reasons.. oh and the gang violence was out of control.

Rev. Jim

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NightOwl wrote:
I need tomove toCA for about 6 months, or so...and stuff like this really makes me not want to.
All you have to do then is report importation of any handguns - no need to get any safety certificate.