• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry to me more than just a right.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Dominion Powerrecently contacted me about doing a gun safety talk at their recent public safety fair but I was out of town at the time. I think they do the safety fair each year.
I've got a safety tip for them...Don't mess with my gate!

ax_handle.jpg

wylde007

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
Just like all prejudices, folks have pre-conceived notions of who & what we are.
Ah, but in an ironic twist you have essentially done to them what the Brady Antis do to us: projected an unfair and bigoted character onto their rights.

Would you choose to have a drink while OC? Perhaps not. It does not mean you are not allowed to. Or they aren't.

However, you are certainly entitled to eschew their company.

Regular_Joe

imported post

kennys wrote:
I probably am going to open up a big can of worms by starting this thread, but I just want to make a statement and see what kind of comments I get.

While Open Carry is being able to exercise our second amendment rights, I believe there is a little more to it than just that. So often the media and anti gun folk like to put us down as radical, as well as pass us off as less than responsible gun owners. We all know that is not true. Open carry to me is not only being able to exercise my right and protect my family and myself, but as well to show the public that we are people too. We have to project ourselves as reasonable and responsible and as well safety conscious, be friendly and far beyond all, law abiding. We are representatives of a right in which we cherish; we need to hold our ground while at the same time setting an example. I have spoke with many people that just really don’t know much about us. As well some wanted to know more because of issue friendly carries. We have to be our own media because they are seldom on our side.
Agreed completely - again, from another choir member. I recently listened to a podcast by Massad Ayoob where he discussed how "Because I CAN!" is the wrong response to anyone asking about why I am OC'ing. He associated that with the attitude of a bully, or with one who is trying to intimidate. Yes, I can OC due to my right as a citizen, but innocent bystanders, or us Wal-Mart shoppers, may not be able to attach that response to the 2A.

I do like the initial response being one of self defense. If justification or legal questions continue, I can then let the conversation naturally flow to the 2A and how that connects with the laws in Virginia.

Thanks, kennys, for clarifying this!
[font="COMIC SANS MS,ARIAL"][/font]

Regular_Joe

imported post

kennys wrote:
This may have already have been tried I don’t know. Sometimes I seem to think that we need to put together a gun fair. I know for public service the police put on fairs about the affects of drunk driving to other safety awareness. If we could do something like this, it would be a good way to show the community how responsible and aware we are as well as other good things about us that typically the media and anti gun leave out.

It could contain things from the basic gun safety course’s, to locks and storage. It could be as well a good introduction to VCDL, OCDO, and some of the many other gun friendly organizations. As well it could be informative to the public and business owners as to why a no gun establishment, actually makes it more dangerous to the un armed citizen. There are so many other things that could be added as well.
Now I *wish* I could have found a local event like this when I wanted to learn more about owning and carrying a handgun in the commonwealth.

Could this be a combination of both educating the general public and targeted training for new gun owners or those that are deciding to own and carry?

When I finally decided that I needed to own and carry a handgun, I had questions about how to select a gun, what the purchase process was, where to find a range, how to apply for a CHP, where is it legal to OC/CC, why was there a negative perception by some regarding owning and carrying guns and what kind of training was available.

For those that come from a hunting background where firearms is a natural aspect of life, this probably isn't that big a deal. I was new, though, and I spent a *lot*of time searching around the Internet, asking friends, calling gun shops...it all eventually came together, but it was a bit overwhelming at first.

I would bet the local NRA, VCDL, OCDO reps/members/volunteers could come together to make a great event!

kennys

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
kennys wrote:
This may have already have been tried I don’t know. Sometimes I seem to think that we need to put together a gun fair. I know for public service the police put on fairs about the affects of drunk driving to other safety awareness. If we could do something like this, it would be a good way to show the community how responsible and aware we are as well as other good things about us that typically the media and anti gun leave out.

It could contain things from the basic gun safety course’s, to locks and storage. It could be as well a good introduction to VCDL, OCDO, and some of the many other gun friendly organizations. As well it could be informative to the public and business owners as to why a no gun establishment, actually makes it more dangerous to the un armed citizen. There are so many other things that could be added as well.
Now I *wish* I could have found a local event like this when I wanted to learn more about owning and carrying a handgun in the commonwealth.

Could this be a combination of both educating the general public and targeted training for new gun owners or those that are deciding to own and carry?

When I finally decided that I needed to own and carry a handgun, I had questions about how to select a gun, what the purchase process was, where to find a range, how to apply for a CHP, where is it legal to OC/CC, why was there a negative perception by some regarding owning and carrying guns and what kind of training was available.

For those that come from a hunting background where firearms is a natural aspect of life, this probably isn't that big a deal. I was new, though, and I spent a *lot*of time searching around the Internet, asking friends, calling gun shops...it all eventually came together, but it was a bit overwhelming at first.

I would bet the local NRA, VCDL, OCDO reps/members/volunteers could come together to make a great event!

I was in the same boat when I first started carrying. I owned guns as well I supported our second amendment rights. I was safety oriented and in my opinion proficient enough to use my weapons if a need arose for self defense. In saying that, what I did know than, and the understanding I had about guns didn’t hold a candle to what I know now. For that I have to give the credit to many of the OCDL people as well as VCDL. I learn something new every day, every day at any age it is a new learning experience.

In saying that, I have not only seen interest in the general public in some of our open carry events with groups, but as well when I go some ware with my family without a group. I am not one that is good speaking with people; I guess you could say that is not my forte. I am slowly working myself out of what I would consider my safety zone, and am trying to do this to be more affective. Even though I am not good talking to people that I don’t know, I believe in some cases I am affective.

Where I kind of really feel ineffective and some times we can’t avoid it is when we make someone feel uncomfortable. Not that I would change my attitude about my open carry, or even our personal right to protection, but that’s where I feel we need to do more along the line of public awareness. A customer that understands OC is less likely to complain causing us all less of a negative issue and more on the line on positive facts when we have to confront management at certain places. Some people just don’t understand what it’s all about. The media as well as the Brady bunch and so forth just portray guns for bad. As well their main tool is un-educated citizens. I believe we as the many can change that.

So many deaths occur with automobiles daily. Automobiles as well are used by criminals;

While in the commission of a felony, transport of dangerous weapons, even as weapons of mass destruction. Currant laws on the books even allow repeat DUI offenders to get a work release to buy more booze, while the ones with back child support issues need the money to actually pay their debt. They seem to treat cars as indispensible, while I believe guns for self defense are certainly not. If I had to make a choice I would gladly give up my car for a horse and hold on to my weapons.

Not meaning to be offensive to any one. IMOA yes to some this may be preaching to the quire. But sometimes when the quire sings the same songs day in and day out they loose their appeal and effectiveness. I am just looking fordifferent songs that could be used to best benefit us as awhole, without compromising any thing we stand for.Things that as well could be used as a useful tool to our pro-gun lobby, as well as putting to rest some of the misconceptions by the anti gun agenda.There are many now that show us in a good light and I don't want to discredit them, I just want to see if we can take it up to the next level.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

IMO the best place to do this might be other than at a gun show or VCDL/OC picnic where the audience is made up of choir members.

What we need is a neutral venue - one not made up of all pro gun table/booths but something like the recent Old Time event in Manikin-Sabot, Water Mellon Festival on Cary St. or even a church sponsored giant yard sale - any pro self-defense pastors out there?

Yata hey

kennys

imported post

You just reminded me of Glenn Allen day at Crump Park. I wish I would have thought of it sooner as it is this comming up weekend.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

kennys wrote:
You just reminded me of Glenn Allen day at Crump Park. I wish I would have thought of it sooner as it is this comming up weekend.
Good opportunity still - start a new thread on the Va. forum to announce it with location/link.

Come prepared with literature/info cards. If I can make it (think I can) I will bring goodies - hint they are round and orange. :D

Yata hey

kennys

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
kennys wrote:
Good opportunity still - start a new thread on the Va. forum to announce it with location/link.

Come prepared with literature/info cards. If I can make it (think I can) I will bring goodies - hint they are round and orange. :D

Yata hey

I am doing this on the fly as I noticed the post in an e-mail. On my way to a meeting in asec. The link is http://www.glenallenruritan.org/GAD.htm

Looks like we have to have a booth. Any other material out side a booth can not be distributed. You could count me in. Will see what i can find out later this evening.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Its in a public park.

I do not see how they can restrict non-commercial, public service information from being handed out = 1st Amend. right

No different than Waterside or Richmond Coliseum IMO.

Yata hey

kennys

imported post

I posted the link in between meetings so I was un-aware of everything in the link. Deadlines for a booth was Sept 5, at 20.00 for non profit. I see where it says that business cards may be only distributed with in the booths, but I do not think that applies to things like the open carry cards and so forth. If someone wants to double check me that would be appreciated. I would not mind meeting up with any one that wants to show up and we could walk around and Mabe hand out some things and answer questions. I will start another thread on this if there are any takers. As well we could also come up with some good Ideas about next year.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
IMO the best place to do this might be other than at a gun show or VCDL/OC picnic where the audience is made up of choir members.

What we need is a neutral venue - one not made up of all pro gun table/booths but something like the recent Old Time event in Manikin-Sabot, Water Mellon Festival on Cary St. or even a church sponsored giant yard sale - any pro self-defense pastors out there?

Yata hey

I will not be able to join any of you showing up at Glen Allen this Saturday (10/3), as I am covering the "Ladies Day at the Range" at Black Creek for the VCDL gun show coordinator who could not make it.

The event is a mix of first-time and seasoned shooters - all ladies of all ages - that is hosted by the range. They have NRA-certified instructors to present a gun safety class, and a bunch of other stuff going on with presentations/info from 2A-supporting organizations like VCDL, culminating with various shooting events.

An event that covered everything but the shooting would be a great one to start off with. I'll even volunteer to assist in organizing it and looking for a place to hold it that is not Green Tops/Gander Mountain/Bass Pro Shops so that we have a better chance of drawing in the uncommitted, undecided and the just plain curious looky-lou's.

stay safe.

skidmark

kennys

imported post

skidmark wrote:
An event that covered everything but the shooting would be a great one to start off with. I'll even volunteer to assist in organizing it and looking for a place to hold it that is not Green Tops/Gander Mountain/Bass Pro Shops so that we have a better chance of drawing in the uncommitted, undecided and the just plain curious looky-lou's.

stay safe.

skidmark
Thanks the more help the better. As for Glen Allen day OC I will be starting a new thread.

Regular_Joe

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
A Fourth of July-like town/city-wide celebration would be interesting. Folks from all over the community would attend and the holiday would lend itself to this topic (probably more so than a county fair).

Are there any Memorial Day events that would work?

kennys

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:

A Fourth of July-like town/city-wide celebration would be interesting. Folks from all over the community would attend and the holiday would lend itself to this topic (probably more so than a county fair).

Are there any Memorial Day events that would work?

Any place we may be able to set up a booth that wouldn't break us would be good. If you find an event where this could be done. Post it. Hopefully after My A/C and Heating gets working again I will work on another printer to do up some different things. Keep in mind any armed citizen report's you read, save them. Useful information to have on a table.

Don't know if it would be possible, but I am thinking on working on Va Blood Services for a gun owner friendly drive. I often go CC when I donate because I don't want :what:when they are poking me. But this is as well a good way to show not only are we concerned about our personal protection but as well concerned about life. I can imagine the crowd we will have at the freedom rally, think if we could have a blood drive like that. Good way to attract positive attention. Wat would put the icing on the cake if they would print out some shirts like they have that says" Gun Owners Donate too" on the back. Just a thought, but hey if motorcycle groups can do it, we can too.

Regular_Joe

imported post

Wat would put the icing on the cake if they would print out some shirts like they have that says" Gun Owners Donate too" on the back.
There is a joke in here somewhere about OC'ers helping bad guys donate blood as well, but I'm not sure it will help as an outreach message... ;)

kennys

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Good luck with Va. Blood Service - they don't allow guns. :? :(

Yata hey
I never knew that I CC several times at the one by Insbrook. Never seen a sign. I never cared to OC as is said the :what:could hurt. They like putting me on that machine they have.