Thread: Free Lance-Star LTE needs some commenting...

Post imported post

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...9272009/495537

I was horrified to read that passengers are allowed to openly carry firearms while riding the VRE commuter trains ["Firearms OK on VRE," Sept. 19].

Date published: 9/27/2009

I was horrified to read that passengers are allowed to openly carry firearms while riding the VRE commuter trains.

I cannot for the life of me understand why this is allowed.

The Second Amendment speaks to "a well-regulated militia." How does this apply to a gun-toting passenger on a commuter train?

Guns displayed openly in this manner seek to intimidate and control and have no place in public transport.

This decision to allow openly displayed firearms on the VRE merely aids and abets those who seek to express their views through aggression and violence.

Diane Conrad

Stafford

Post imported post

Wow, the ignorance just drips off of that LTE.

~ Boyd

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

"The Second Amendment speaks to "a well-regulated militia." How does this apply to a gun-toting passenger on a commuter train?"

Just one more example of people not understanding basic English grammar. I wonder if she actually read the Second Amendment before making this statement? Also, the hyphenated word, "well-regulated" is incorrect, too. The text does not hyphenate these two words. The word "regulated" comes from "regulate" which at the time of the creation of the Bill of Rights meant, "to keep and make regular". So in her little mind, she is thinking "well-controlled" when in fact it means to commonly keep and make regular.

And then there is the first clause where all of this takes place. It essentially says, in order for a well regulated militia to exist, the right of the people to keep and bear arms must both exist and be a constant.

What is so hard about this pure and simple English for the anti's to understand? (I really know the reason, but thought I would just throw that out)

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    "The Second Amendment speaks to "a well-regulated militia." How does this apply to a gun-toting passenger on a commuter train?"

Just one more example of people not understanding basic English grammar. I wonder if she actually read the Second Amendment before making this statement? Also, the hyphenated word, "well-regulated" is incorrect, too. The text does not hyphenate these two words. The word "regulated" comes from "regulate" which at the time of the creation of the Bill of Rights meant, "to keep and make regular". So in her little mind, she is thinking "well-controlled" when in fact it means to commonly keep and make regular.

And then there is the first clause where all of this takes place. It essentially says, in order for a well regulated militia to exist, the right of the people to keep and bear arms must both exist and be a constant.

What is so hard about this pure and simple English for the anti's to understand? (I really know the reason, but thought I would just throw that out)
    It neither fits their purpose nor their "right" to feel comfortable.

Don't ya know nothing 'bout English? :?
    To put "English" on something, is to put "spin" on it.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

It neither fits their purpose nor their "right" to feel comfortable.

Don't ya know nothing 'bout English? :?
    To put "English" on something, is to put "spin" on it.

Yata hey

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

This decision to allow openly displayed firearms on the VRE merely aids and abets those who seek to express their views through aggression and violence.
    So LEOs must REALLY piss her off.

Never mind, the .gov has given them their blessing, so THOSE guns aren't frightening at all.

Post imported post

There is no dealing with the likes of her.How ironic that she uses anewspaper to air her views, but does not want other to use their rights.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...9272009/495537

I was horrified to read that passengers are allowed to openly carry firearms while riding the VRE commuter trains ["Firearms OK on VRE," Sept. 19].

Date published: 9/27/2009

I was horrified to read that passengers are allowed to openly carry firearms while riding the VRE commuter trains.

I cannot for the life of me understand why this is allowed.

The Second Amendment speaks to "a well-regulated militia." How does this apply to a gun-toting passenger on a commuter train?

Guns displayed openly in this manner seek to intimidate and control and have no place in public transport.

Diane Conrad

Stafford
    She is right though. We do seek to intimidate and control the BG's that wish to do us and our families harm.

Post imported post

Here's a follow-up letter appearing in Tuesday's paper:

Don't worry about me: Worry about criminals

Date published: 10/6/2009

Don't worry about me: Worry about criminals

This is regarding the letter from Diane Conrad ["Guns have no place in public transport," Sept. 27].

I was horrified to read that Ms. Conrad wants to openly infringe upon my rights to carry a gun on the VRE while in the state of Virginia.

I cannot for the life of me understand why she wants to restrict my ability to protect myself and my family (and maybe even her).

While the Second Amendment does speak to a militia, it is the commonwealth of Virginia that dictates who can carry a weapon as well as where and how they can carry that weapon.

And yes, sometimes when I openly carry my gun, as allowed by state law, those around me may be intimidated. But as a whole, most people don't even see it.

And those people who do open carry, those aren't the ones you need to worry about. It's the criminals who hide it that you need to worry about.

So even though Ms. Conrad wants to take away my rights, I'll be happy to protect her and her family should the need arise.

Neil Richard

King George

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    ...in order for a well regulated militia to exist, the right of the people to keep and bear arms must both exist and be a constant.
    SB hits the nail on the head with this one. Let's hope the SCOTUS interprets it in the same manner.

Post imported post

By the way, I was going to report that the follow-up letter has generated more comments than the original...

TFred

Post imported post

Know something funny? I bought gun related items (mags, etc) from a guy who works at the FLS (that's where I sent my USPS M.O., to his work address).