Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding a pro-gun state to re-locate

Post imported post

I haven't posted on here for a while, but last time I was looking to relocate but my plans got post-poned.I currently live in a very gun-unfriendly area with lots ofanti-hunting sentimentand I'm getting tired of it. A few things that might help posters in giving me advice or recommendations on where to move include some of what I'm looking for. I don't fit the profile of the average guy looking to move. I don't have a family, I'm in my early 20's, never had a decent job, cold weather doesn't bother me too much, etc. I have worked for less than minium wage many times before, soI don't need much to be happy. I am first and foremost a Christian, a firm believer in the 2nd ammendment in it's original form, and a die hard hunter.

Some things I'm really looking for:

I'de stronglyprefer astate that allows hound hunting for bears and cats. A lot of liberalism has crept into many states and people have this weird idea that using hounds is unsportsman like. They think you just turn a dog loose and he tracks and kills animals for you. They don't realize the work, effort and even a little luck involved in this strenous, and difficult sport.

I NEED a state that allows open carry. Be nice if it was allowed in the car without a permit. Enough said.

I NEED a state that allows concealed carry. The less places the state lists as off limits the better. The less expensive the licensing the better. Also the less training, fingerprinting, waiting etc. the better.I like states that have either no licensing requirements (Alaska, Vermont), or over the counter states (Pennsylvania, New Hampshire) with no wait or fingeprints, maybe even cheaper fees (i.e., not TX or SC's ridiculous fees.) Lifetime license are cool too, but not necessary (I think NY and IN have them?)

I also like states that allow NFA stuff, even though I don't have any yet. It is a distant goal of mine to collect a few pieces.

Anyone have any comments or recommendations? Thanks for any help as I really am not yet sure where I want to go, but this thread may help me choose.

Post imported post

Looking thru all the hotlinked info available at http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html is likely a good place to start.

No permit required for open carry here in VA; and the requirements for CC permit aren't overly burdensome thanks to the efforts of some hard working 2A proponents in this state. (VA is a "shall issue" state).

Post imported post

AZ is my utopia

came out from CA, never looked back

Post imported post

start here: http://www.findyourspot.com then cross reference the results with the open-carry friendly states listed on http://www.opencarry.org

edit: hmm.. well the first link isn't working as a hyperlink, don't know why but just type it in

Post imported post

KENTUCKY

Favorite recent Quote:
    "As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun and I've said it before and I'll say it again they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
    Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters

Post imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
    start here: http://www.findyourspot.com/ then cross reference the results with the open-carry friendly states listed on http://www.opencarry.org

edit: hmm.. well the first link isn't working as a hyperlink, don't know why but just type it in
    Extra spaces between the ".com" and the "/" remove it, link will work.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Arizona what more need to be said.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Post imported post

I tried that "find your spot" thing and it said that where I live now is the best spot for me.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

Utah, Vermont, Alaska, Virginia, Arizona. All pretty gun friendly.

Get Pickin.

I would particularly suggest Utah, hunting is good, lots of rural areas, $60 concealed carry permit, no gun signs mean nothing. School carry with concealed carry permit, including all colleges.

Great place to live.

Post imported post

ColtPistols wrote:
    I haven't posted on here for a while, but last time I was looking to relocate but my plans got post-poned.I currently live in a very gun-unfriendly area with lots ofanti-hunting sentimentand I'm getting tired of it. A few things that might help posters in giving me advice or recommendations on where to move include some of what I'm looking for. I don't fit the profile of the average guy looking to move. I don't have a family, I'm in my early 20's, never had a decent job, cold weather doesn't bother me too much, etc. I have worked for less than minium wage many times before, soI don't need much to be happy. I am first and foremost a Christian, a firm believer in the 2nd ammendment in it's original form, and a die hard hunter.

I'de stronglyprefer astate that allows hound hunting for bears and cats. A lot of liberalism has crept into many states and people have this weird idea that using hounds is unsportsman like. They think you just turn a dog loose and he tracks and kills animals for you. They don't realize the work, effort and even a little luck involved in this strenous, and difficult sport.

I NEED a state that allows open carry. Be nice if it was allowed in the car without a permit. Enough said.

I NEED a state that allows concealed carry. The less places the state lists as off limits the better. The less expensive the licensing the better. Also the less training, fingerprinting, waiting etc. the better.I like states that have either no licensing requirements (Alaska, Vermont), or over the counter states (Pennsylvania, New Hampshire) with no wait or fingeprints, maybe even cheaper fees (i.e., not TX or SC's ridiculous fees.) Lifetime license are cool too, but not necessary (I think NY and IN have them?)

I also like states that allow NFA stuff, even though I don't have any yet. It is a distant goal of mine to collect a few pieces.

Anyone have any comments or recommendations? Thanks for any help as I really am not yet sure where I want to go, but this thread may help me choose.

You seem kind of, uhm, focused on the guns thing.

What kind of requirements do you have on career field, education, schools, housing selection, cost of living, access to resources needed, etc.?

Maybe consider narrowing the field to 4 or 5 states that best meet all your non-gun needs (more important, usually), then weed out the states that have onerous gun laws.

Guns really can't be the # 1 criterion in going through an important decision process such as yours...

Good luck.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    ColtPistols wrote:

What kind of requirements do you have on career field, education, schools, housing selection, cost of living, access to resources needed, etc.?

Maybe consider narrowing the field to 4 or 5 states that best meet all your non-gun needs (more important, usually), then weed out the states that have onerous gun laws.

Guns really can't be the # 1 criterion in going through an important decision process such as yours...

Good luck.

Projecting your anti-gun views again?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

HankT wrote:

Good luck.

uh, wanna bet?

If a man knows how to pretty muchlive off the land, he don'tneed that other stuff.

Coltpistols doesn't seem like the materialistic type. My guess all he wants is to be able to provide for his basic needs (food water, and shelter) and anything else extrathat comes along is just "gravy to go with the taters".

Banned

Post imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
    Looking thru all the hotlinked info available at http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html is likely a good place to start.

No permit required for open carry here in VA; and the requirements for CC permit aren't overly burdensome thanks to the efforts of some hard working 2A proponents in this state.* (VA is a "shall issue" state).
    I've lot of Colt replicas; all the ammo has me thinking of Mars, or the Moon, where my tired old frame could haul all that hardware.

Or a bunch mules to haul all my stuff into the western mountains. I can't seem to make up my mind. Mar's or the moon? Or a high mountain meadow?

Post imported post

wrightme wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    ColtPistols wrote:

Good luck.

Not necessarily. One does need to ensure that other life requirements are met as well. But if guns are that important to him and he views the other things as being readily available regardless, then so be it. Each person is different and has varying requirements for life.

Post imported post

Try New Hampshire, I could talk your ear off but, here are a few links to help you out.

freekeene.com

nhunderground.com

nhliberty.org

www.northeastshooters.com

Good luck and hope you find the right place for you.

Post imported post

forget Wisconsin, for the next year or 2.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

wrightme wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    ColtPistols wrote:

Good luck.

No. What on earth would make you say that?

Post imported post

forget Wisconsin, for the next year or 2.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

According to your personal hunting requirements, I would suggest these states.

Montana

Idaho

Wyoming

Utah

Arizona

I love my state and we have plenty of bears, but we are thin on huntablecats - we just haveLynx here.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

From what you've said, I think you'd really like Pennsylvania. You'd probably like Virginia as well, but there are a few ways that Pennsylvania might be better for a hunter. Don't get me wrong, Virginia's a hunting state, too. You should look into both. I think someone already covered VA, so here's PA:

Pennsylvania is a big-time hunting state. There're deer, bear, elk, turkey, and typical small-game. They used to have more restrictive deer regulations, but lately they have become less so (now allowing more deer and the use of different weapons, such as crossbows, to take deer). There's plenty of public hunting land throughout the state and to own land is fairly cheap compared to other areas. Also in PA you may hunt, among other things, on private property that is not posted without prior permission of the landowner (unless/until you're asked to leave by the land owner). If it's posted you'd need prior permission, but there's a lot of private land that is not posted where the owners welcome hunters. Just don't abuse the privilege; and respect the property.

NFA weapons are legal. OC is legal (license req'd in Philly). CC (and car carry) is licensed, but shall-issue with no training or fingerprint requirements. For a good list of off-limits places in PA, check out pafoa.org. There aren't many, I can tell you that.

They repealed their motorcycle helmet law a few years ago; cost of living is fairly low; there are plenty of Christians for you to make friends with; there are four distinct seasons; the people are mostly nice and the left-wingers are historically concentrated in the two largest cities with the rest of the state being historically right-winged.

One last thing, you'd better check with Il_Duce to make sure he likes you and says it's okay for you to move in. :P He's banned me from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; I sure will miss the place.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    ColtPistols wrote:

Good luck.

Obama said during the campaign, “This can’t be the reason not to vote for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen back there. I’m not going to take away your guns.’’

My reaction to Hank is the same as my reaction to obama was... That gives you the right to decide for someone else what they should use to make a decision? If someone wants to move to a state because they like the state motto, so be it! The flaming arogance need to tell someone what they cant make a personal decision apon is over the top to me. But, hey I like that little thing called personal freedom.

BTW, ColtPistols....take a good look at Va!

Post imported post

It's hard for me to rank what's the most important thing...But Guns are really, really up there. I've lived in upstate NY, PA, NJ, SC, and WI. Never really been happy with any of them as far as hunting or gun regs were concerned. I have hunted in all those states as well as Alaska, Utah, Idaho, and West Virginia. Several of the statesI lived in had some things going for them, but not enough for me to stick around. NY had lifetime pistol licenses, decent hunting, and probably the cheapest housing in the US. But they have mandatory handgun registration, and probably many more new anti-gun laws sinceI left. They also don't allow cat and bear hunting with hounds (SomethingI am currently pursuing.) NJ had a couple of good things about them as well. Just nothing good for me, just the governor's pockets lol. WI had decent hunting, and relaxed gun control laws. I absolutely loved going to gun shows and just buying onesI liked without haveing to wait MONTHS for a permit like I did in NY. However, in WI there is no ccw, and bear hunting with hounds is by lottery. That doesn't really work for me. SC has bear hunting with hounds, shall issue legislation, gun shows were really lousy that I saw. Also the ccw thing is ridiculous. Fees were huge, list of places off limits and signs in businesses banning ccw were everywhere. I never bothered to get the permit while there, it just wasn't worth it. PA has a VERY good ccw system. no fingerprinting, no needless waits, small fee, etc. But it doesn't allow handguns to be purchased at gun shows without going through an FFL and NICS check fees. Also no big game hunting with hounds. As you can see I've lived through some tight gun regs in past years, and guns and hunting are such a huge part of my life that I'de really rather just save up some dough, move and start anew somewhere more condusive to my lifestlye. Most of you don't just move so you can do what you want when you want. However as i mentioned at the beginning of this thread, that's really what I'm about.I believe in liberty and patriotism through the 2nd ammendment. I am different than most people looking to move since I only work because I have to live. AndI live to hunt, fish and shoot. Money isn't really all that important to me.I have worked for as low as 4.38 an hour. I'de rather not work for that low again, but all I'm saying is I ain't qualified for a doctor's salary, so wherever I'm at, I can probably live on a ranch hand's salary, or working at the local wally world lol.

States recommended so far are pretty good. I love ID, MT, WY, and Utah the most so far. So farI see it as the states have this going for them;

*****Idaho-Hound hunting, good ccw, open carry, not many off limits places for carry, gun show andprivate purchases allowed, but small gun shows

*****Utah-Hound hunting, good ccw, open carry, not many off limits places for carry, gun show andprivate purchases allowed, but small gun shows

****Montana-No bear, but cat hound hunting?, good ccw, not many off limits places for carry, gun show andprivate purchases allowed, but small gun shows

****Wyoming-No bear, but cat hound hunting?, good ccw, not many off limits places for carry, gun show andprivate purchases allowed, but small gun shows

****Arizona-Hound hunting but by lottery?, good ccw, open carry,but many off limits places for carry, gun show andprivate purchases allowed, good sized gun shows

****Virginia-Hound hunting for bear, good ccw, open carry, not many off limits places for carry, gun show and private purchases allowed, except for handguns?, good sized gun shows

Let me know what you think. The ones with question marksI am kinda of looking for confirmation as I am not sure if that is true.

Post imported post

Can't go too far wrong with any of those states.

I love Utah's scenery. Very diverse landscape.

The desert to the west, the mountains to the northeast, the valleys, the red rock in the south.

Hunting as you know, is good, the sand dunes are a good place for hgih speed dune buggies, lots of camping, pony express trails to traverse, great quartz formations to find in the desert, skiing and snowboarding in the winter, paragliding in utah county.

It really is a great place.

Post imported post

Arizona would work well, depending on how much money you want to make and what your skill set it. The thing to remember is that if you're no more skilled than a Mexican illegal, you'll make little more than a Mexican illegal. Blue collar trades and such you won't make much in, unless you're extremely skilled. It is a state with the 49th lowest wages in the country. But decent jobs are available if you have skills that can put you ahead of everyone else.

Also know that while you can hunt almost anything with any reasonable means, the hunting licenses aren't always as easy to get as I'd like. But if you can definitely hunt everything from Jack rabbits to buffalo.

The good news about Arizona is that you can have just about any weather you want, and the cops in most parts could not be more gun friendly. Arizona's weapon laws are nearly as good as they come.

For weather, hunting, scenery, and most importantly gun rights of all types, I find it to be the best state to compromise on. I'll be moving back after I'm done with school.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

ColtPistols wrote:
    ****Virginia-Hound hunting for bear, good ccw, open carry, not many off limits places for carry, gun show and private purchases allowed, except for handguns?, good sized gun shows
    For the time being, private sales of handguns are legal in Virginia. There are still a lot of people around here who want to make private sales of firearms illegal at gun shows (if not everywhere).

We'll have to wait and see what is proposed by the General Assembly next session, if anything; whether any proposal would be restrictive beyond gun shows, whether it would apply to all firearms or just handguns, or whether there would be exceptions to the rule that would still allow private owners to sell any of their guns to any non-prohibited person anywhere; everything is still up in the air and if we do our job right, nothing will be passed.

If Virginia is on your short list, pay close attention to the upcoming Gubernatorial election pitting McDonnell against Deeds.

Next you'll have to figure out where in your new state, whichever it may be, you would live...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast