• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help finding a pro-gun state to re-locate

ColtPistols

imported post

I haven't posted on here for a while, but last time I was looking to relocate but my plans got post-poned.I currently live in a very gun-unfriendly area with lots ofanti-hunting sentimentand I'm getting tired of it. A few things that might help posters in giving me advice or recommendations on where to move include some of what I'm looking for. I don't fit the profile of the average guy looking to move. I don't have a family, I'm in my early 20's, never had a decent job, cold weather doesn't bother me too much, etc. I have worked for less than minium wage many times before, soI don't need much to be happy. I am first and foremost a Christian, a firm believer in the 2nd ammendment in it's original form, and a die hard hunter.

Some things I'm really looking for:

I'de stronglyprefer astate that allows hound hunting for bears and cats. A lot of liberalism has crept into many states and people have this weird idea that using hounds is unsportsman like. They think you just turn a dog loose and he tracks and kills animals for you. They don't realize the work, effort and even a little luck involved in this strenous, and difficult sport.

I NEED a state that allows open carry. Be nice if it was allowed in the car without a permit. Enough said.

I NEED a state that allows concealed carry. The less places the state lists as off limits the better. The less expensive the licensing the better. Also the less training, fingerprinting, waiting etc. the better.I like states that have either no licensing requirements (Alaska, Vermont), or over the counter states (Pennsylvania, New Hampshire) with no wait or fingeprints, maybe even cheaper fees (i.e., not TX or SC's ridiculous fees.) Lifetime license are cool too, but not necessary (I think NY and IN have them?)

I also like states that allow NFA stuff, even though I don't have any yet. It is a distant goal of mine to collect a few pieces.

Anyone have any comments or recommendations? Thanks for any help as I really am not yet sure where I want to go, but this thread may help me choose.

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

Looking thru all the hotlinked info available at http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html is likely a good place to start.

No permit required for open carry here in VA; and the requirements for CC permit aren't overly burdensome thanks to the efforts of some hard working 2A proponents in this state. (VA is a "shall issue" state).

jeeper1

imported post

I tried that "find your spot" thing and it said that where I live now is the best spot for me.

thx997303

imported post

Utah, Vermont, Alaska, Virginia, Arizona. All pretty gun friendly.

Get Pickin.

I would particularly suggest Utah, hunting is good, lots of rural areas, $60 concealed carry permit, no gun signs mean nothing. School carry with concealed carry permit, including all colleges.

Great place to live.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ColtPistols wrote:
I haven't posted on here for a while, but last time I was looking to relocate but my plans got post-poned.I currently live in a very gun-unfriendly area with lots ofanti-hunting sentimentand I'm getting tired of it. A few things that might help posters in giving me advice or recommendations on where to move include some of what I'm looking for. I don't fit the profile of the average guy looking to move. I don't have a family, I'm in my early 20's, never had a decent job, cold weather doesn't bother me too much, etc. I have worked for less than minium wage many times before, soI don't need much to be happy. I am first and foremost a Christian, a firm believer in the 2nd ammendment in it's original form, and a die hard hunter.

I'de stronglyprefer astate that allows hound hunting for bears and cats. A lot of liberalism has crept into many states and people have this weird idea that using hounds is unsportsman like. They think you just turn a dog loose and he tracks and kills animals for you. They don't realize the work, effort and even a little luck involved in this strenous, and difficult sport.

I NEED a state that allows open carry. Be nice if it was allowed in the car without a permit. Enough said.

I NEED a state that allows concealed carry. The less places the state lists as off limits the better. The less expensive the licensing the better. Also the less training, fingerprinting, waiting etc. the better.I like states that have either no licensing requirements (Alaska, Vermont), or over the counter states (Pennsylvania, New Hampshire) with no wait or fingeprints, maybe even cheaper fees (i.e., not TX or SC's ridiculous fees.) Lifetime license are cool too, but not necessary (I think NY and IN have them?)

I also like states that allow NFA stuff, even though I don't have any yet. It is a distant goal of mine to collect a few pieces.

Anyone have any comments or recommendations? Thanks for any help as I really am not yet sure where I want to go, but this thread may help me choose.

You seem kind of, uhm, focused on the guns thing.

What kind of requirements do you have on career field, education, schools, housing selection, cost of living, access to resources needed, etc.?

Maybe consider narrowing the field to 4 or 5 states that best meet all your non-gun needs (more important, usually), then weed out the states that have onerous gun laws.

Guns really can't be the # 1 criterion in going through an important decision process such as yours...

Good luck.

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:
ColtPistols wrote:

What kind of requirements do you have on career field, education, schools, housing selection, cost of living, access to resources needed, etc.?

Maybe consider narrowing the field to 4 or 5 states that best meet all your non-gun needs (more important, usually), then weed out the states that have onerous gun laws.

Guns really can't be the # 1 criterion in going through an important decision process such as yours...

Good luck.
Projecting your anti-gun views again?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:

Good luck.

uh, wanna bet?

If a man knows how to pretty muchlive off the land, he don'tneed that other stuff.

Coltpistols doesn't seem like the materialistic type. My guess all he wants is to be able to provide for his basic needs (food water, and shelter) and anything else extrathat comes along is just "gravy to go with the taters".

Bull Frog

imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:
Looking thru all the hotlinked info available at http://www.opencarry.org/maps.html is likely a good place to start.

No permit required for open carry here in VA; and the requirements for CC permit aren't overly burdensome thanks to the efforts of some hard working 2A proponents in this state.  (VA is a "shall issue" state).

I've lot of Colt replicas; all the ammo has me thinking of Mars, or the Moon, where my tired old frame could haul all that hardware.

Or a bunch mules to haul all my stuff into the western mountains. I can't seem to make up my mind. Mar's or the moon? Or a high mountain meadow?

darthmord

imported post

wrightme wrote:
HankT wrote:
ColtPistols wrote:

Good luck.
Not necessarily. One does need to ensure that other life requirements are met as well. But if guns are that important to him and he views the other things as being readily available regardless, then so be it. Each person is different and has varying requirements for life.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

wrightme wrote:
HankT wrote:
ColtPistols wrote:

Good luck.
No. What on earth would make you say that?

Flintlock

imported post

According to your personal hunting requirements, I would suggest these states.

Montana

Idaho

Wyoming

Utah

Arizona

I love my state and we have plenty of bears, but we are thin on huntablecats - we just haveLynx here.

virginiatuck

imported post

From what you've said, I think you'd really like Pennsylvania. You'd probably like Virginia as well, but there are a few ways that Pennsylvania might be better for a hunter. Don't get me wrong, Virginia's a hunting state, too. You should look into both. I think someone already covered VA, so here's PA:

Pennsylvania is a big-time hunting state. There're deer, bear, elk, turkey, and typical small-game. They used to have more restrictive deer regulations, but lately they have become less so (now allowing more deer and the use of different weapons, such as crossbows, to take deer). There's plenty of public hunting land throughout the state and to own land is fairly cheap compared to other areas. Also in PA you may hunt, among other things, on private property that is not posted without prior permission of the landowner (unless/until you're asked to leave by the land owner). If it's posted you'd need prior permission, but there's a lot of private land that is not posted where the owners welcome hunters. Just don't abuse the privilege; and respect the property.

NFA weapons are legal. OC is legal (license req'd in Philly). CC (and car carry) is licensed, but shall-issue with no training or fingerprint requirements. For a good list of off-limits places in PA, check out pafoa.org. There aren't many, I can tell you that.

They repealed their motorcycle helmet law a few years ago; cost of living is fairly low; there are plenty of Christians for you to make friends with; there are four distinct seasons; the people are mostly nice and the left-wingers are historically concentrated in the two largest cities with the rest of the state being historically right-winged.

One last thing, you'd better check with Il_Duce to make sure he likes you and says it's okay for you to move in. :p He's banned me from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; I sure will miss the place. :cry: