Thread: Quick Intro of Mt Vernon .40

Post imported post

Hi everybody.

New member here; just wanted to intro myself.

I've been following this forum for several months and have been impressed with it's adherence to high standards and meaningful content.

Originally from Texas; I recently retired from the USN after 24 years of active service.

Since I've now lived in the Mt Vernon section of Fairfax County longer than any other single location in my life, I now actually consider myself a Virginian ...

... and can't think of many places better to live from a 2A perspective!

FWIW, I shoot a Springfield XDM .40 and a .40 "Baby Glock" (Model 27).

Looking forward to actively participating in the future.

Keep up the great work!

<edited to correct typos>

Post imported post

Welcome to the Forums!

~ Boyd

((And even though I've lived in Virginia for 15 years following my own Navy career, I'm still a Texan. ))

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO! Have you been to VCDL yet? Thanks for enduring 24 years! Just about to hit 6 myself while I'm coming near the end of another deployment in Iraq. What do you think about that XD platform? I've been eyeing it for a while.

Post imported post

Welcome and thanks for you service.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Post imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
    Welcome and thanks for you service.
    This.

Post imported post

Welcome!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome, my friend to the show that never ends!

Post imported post

Another welcome to OCDO. Hope you read the part about the newbie buying the ammo.

Up in the part of Virginia you are in you might as well be considered one of the original settlers. If you venture further south be prepared for less :what:and more from folks who notice you Open Carrying.

Do keep an eye out for the various meet-ups - most of which are around breakfast, lunch, or dinner with like-minded folks. Check out VCDL www.vcdl.org and sign up for the VA-ALERT newsletter even if you do not join - but you really should join.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Mt Vernon and thank you for your service. I was in the Coast Guard for 22 years and retired in '05.

I look forward to meeting you at an upcoming event!

Semper Paratus!

Mike
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    Welcome to the Forums!

~ Boyd

((And even though I've lived in Virginia for 15 years following my own Navy career, I'm still a Texan. ))
    You sound like this one guy I know with "Native Texan" for his license plate, though I forget how he had it formatted.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Welcome to the mad house.... Sure hope you don't argue as much as that other Texan we have:P

Post imported post

Yeah, because Pete just hates to argue. :P

~ Boyd

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    Yeah, because Pete just hates to argue. :P

~ Boyd

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Welcome aboard Mt Vernon and thank you for your service.

+1 on Va-Alerts and VCDL
    http://www.vcdl.org/

BTW - antis argue, pro gunnys discuss.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    SNIP BTW - antis argue, pro gunnys discuss.
    And cannoneers "shoot off" their mouth; but that's a different issue. :P

Welcome aboard, MtVernon.40!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Better than that which spppts out t'other end of lesser arms.

Don't mind us MtV. Some would say we are dueling, but his ain't loaded right.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Better than that which spppts out t'other end of lesser arms.

Don't mind us MtV. Some would say we are dueling, but his ain't loaded right.

Yata hey
    LOL.

I should'a known better.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Welcome. I look forward to seeing you in the area. You'll see me if you're out and about.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Thank you for your service to our nation and welcome aboard! We're happy to have you here.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    Another welcome to OCDO. Hope you read the part about the newbie buying the ammo.

Up in the part of Virginia you are in you might as well be considered one of the original settlers. If you venture further south be prepared for less :what:and more from folks who notice you Open Carrying.

Do keep an eye out for the various meet-ups - most of which are around breakfast, lunch, or dinner with like-minded folks. Check out VCDL http://www.vcdl.org and sign up for the VA-ALERT newsletter even if you do not join - but you really should join.

stay safe.

skidmark
    One may be inclined to see this be true in the closer-in areas of Northern Virginia, but definitely not out where I live. Out here in western Prince William County, it's as natural as breathing.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Post imported post

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

I look forward to meeting everyone soon.

I'm writing from my hotel room in Pittsburgh where an engineering consulting project has kept me busy almost every work-week since early February.

While I've been home most weekends, I can count on one hand the M-F weeks I've actually been in VA since this job started. :?

I completely understand what everybody means about the "west" ... when driving up here I intentionally avoid almost all of the People's Republic of Maryland except for that pesky 1.6 mile stretch of 522 near Hancock.

Yesterday -- after a brief stop @ VA Arms to pick upsome cartridges-- my route to "The Burgh" took me along I-66 and I-81 to Winchester and then up 522 thru Berkeley Springs. (I usually just take 7 from Leesburg to Winchester)

Absolutely beautiful!

I'm descended from a family of pioneers. My grandmother literally lived in a sod dugouton the prairieof Indian Territory (I've got the pic); and I have the shotgun shereceived as apresent when graduating from Oklahoma A&M ! (Stillwater)

So I understand, respect,and envy the culture that you folks are fortunate enough to still enjoy "out there."

Thanks again.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Mt Vernon.40 and thank you for your service.

Post imported post

Mt Vernon .40 wrote:

I'm writing from my hotel room in Pittsburgh where an engineering consulting project has kept me busy almost every work-week since early February.

While I've been home most weekends, I can count on one hand the M-F weeks I've actually been in VA since this job started. :?

I completely understand what everybody means about the "west" ... when driving up here I intentionally avoid almost all of the People's Republic of Maryland except for that pesky 1.6 mile stretch of 522 near Hancock.

Yesterday -- after a brief stop @ VA Arms to pick upsome cartridges-- my route to "The Burgh" took me along I-66 and I-81 to Winchester and then up 522 thru Berkeley Springs. (I usually just take 7 from Leesburg to Winchester)

Absolutely beautiful!

I'm descended from a family of pioneers. My grandmother literally lived in a sod dugouton the prairieof Indian Territory (I've got the pic); and I have the shotgun shereceived as apresent when graduating from Oklahoma A&M ! (Stillwater)

So I understand, respect,and envy the culture that you folks are fortunate enough to still enjoy "out there."

Thanks again.

That's really interesting. Great that you have that kind of lineage and a picture to boot!

My wife's great grandmother (mother's side), who died in 1968, traveled from Illinois (I'm pretty sure that's the state) to California in 1883 in a wagon train (she was born in 1872). They were attacked three times by Indians along the way and several of the men were killed. I asked my wife if the wagon train assembled into a circle like you used to see in movies and she said yes, her "Gammy" did tell her that. They settled in a small farming area outside of Sanger, CA.

And her father's side of the family has been in Virginia since 1636, mostly around the Chancellorsville/Locust Grove/Mine Run/Mineral area. We know what a few of the farm houses were used for during the War for Southern Independence and we know the name of one of the family members who fought in the American Revolution. Also, I have found what I believe to be four family members who were either associated with or actually rode with Col. John Singleton Mosby during the War.

My dad's side goes back a ways in the Virginia tidewater area and my mom's side comes from Alexandria.

It is all very fascinating.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Mt Vernon .40 wrote:

Absolutely beautiful!

Thanks again.

That's really interesting. Great that you have that kind of lineage and a picture to boot!

My wife's great grandmother (mother's side), who died in 1968, traveled from Illinois (I'm pretty sure that's the state) to California in 1883 in a wagon train (she was born in 1872). They were attacked three times by Indians along the way and several of the men were killed. I asked my wife if the wagon train assembled into a circle like you used to see in movies and she said yes, her "Gammy" did tell her that. They settled in a small farming area outside of Sanger, CA.

And her father's side of the family has been in Virginia since 1636, mostly around the Chancellorsville/Locust Grove/Mine Run/Mineral area. We know what a few of the farm houses were used for during the War for Southern Independence and we know the name of one of the family members who fought in the American Revolution. Also, I have found what I believe to be four family members who were either associated with or actually rode with Col. John Singleton Mosby during the War.

My dad's side goes back a ways in the Virginia tidewater area and my mom's side comes from Alexandria.

It is all very fascinating.
    I'm from Chicago originally but spent my teenage years in Riverside Estates right there just down the street from George's place :^). Which I always thought was pretty funny being one of his neighbors, in fact living on his old pig farm. My family from which I get my name came to America from Ireland around 1730, Protestants were not very welcome at that time in Ireland. Settled in PA then NC where one of them signed the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence in 1775, there's a dam and lake with my name not far from here, well not *my* name :^). From there they moved to KY and then southern IL and then Chicago where I and my father were born. Then by the grace of God we had the good fortune to move back to the south :^). Where I learned a whole 'nother viewpoint about the war of Northern Aggression, being a Land of Lincoln boy :^).