• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC campout and shoot

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I've got a spot out near Greenwater not very big but it will support a small bunch of us to camp and has a shooting range off the end of it. You can drive to the spot, no hiking in. The range is about 300 yards deep. No running water, no bathroom. Anyone interested? Saturday thru sunday afternoon....
Take a look at the pics here:
http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii194/m1gunr/FR72/

FR72
IMG00406c.jpg

I do not recommend pickups with bed campers. Canopies are fine but campers and trailers will have trouble getting in here. Trailers will NOT make it in here.

Head out Hwy 410 like you are going to Crystal Mountain. Continue thru Greenwater and past the firestation. At Fireroad 72 (FS72 is a gravel road) turn left (there is a yellow sign stating the turn off is coming up). Follow the OCDO signs up to the next turn off about 5.5 miles. Bear right and follow it to the end. Watch your speed !

Caution #1: you will need a vehicle with some clearance as there are 2 creek crossings. They are concrete lined but they had not been cleaned out earlier in the summer of the rock debris. The rest of the road surface is gravel and should pose no issues. Pickup and SUV's will have no issue. Import cars, low riders WILL have issues.

Caution #2: After you make the turn off, the brush along the edges gets very thick in places and WILL rub your vehicle EXPECT SCRATCHES.

Things to decide on:
Is this a potluck or bring your own?

You will need:
chairs
food
water
TP
trash bags

ALL PAPER CAN BE BURNED.
ALL GLASS, METAL, PLASTICS WILL BE PACKED OUT !!

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

any fishing?

and for some reason the first thing i thought of was deliverance and brokeback mountain.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
any fishing?
and for some reason the first thing i thought of was deliverance and brokeback mountain.
No running water

Now you ruined it, I was gonna bring the banjo......

Some women have agreed to attend from another site

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I would definately go except for I'm committed to my kids football games every weekend through the end of November... Sounds like fun though. Maybe next spring/summer.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Note: The road you turn left onto from the 410 Hwy, is not gravel at that point. It is paved and has a speed limit of 45 for quite a ways. You'll notice some camping areas off to your left by the creek as you drive buy.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
Note: The road you turn left onto from the 410 Hwy, is not gravel at that point. It is paved and has a speed limit of 45 for quite a ways. You'll notice some camping areas off to your left by the creek as you drive buy.
The first road past the fire station is FS70 and is paved. Continue down 410, you will see a yellow sign stating FS72 is ahead on the left. Turn on to it.

LOOK FOR THE YELLOW ROAD SIGN

Metalhead47

imported post

Hey would you consider pushing it back to the following weekend? My wife & I would be up for it then. (Actually spent all day yesterday searching for a place to camp/shoot/4wheel.... didn't find a damn thing. :cuss::cuss::cuss:treehuggers.)

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

looks like it might rain sat. and looks to be in the low 40's and that in the low lands. going to be a chilly weekend

1245A Defender

imported post

this is a good excuse to play in the woods. id like to come, its not lookin like a big turnout tho.

Man that this weekend!!! im workin on trying to do this!!

how many are really into going to this gig?

i know from experiance its hard to get more than 4 folks to do anything at once.

5jeffro7

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
i know from experiance its hard to get more than 4 folks to do anything at once.

is that so? then how do we consistantly get 50-70 people to go camping & shooting from another web site?

just had one on the 18-20 with at least 70 people, another one jan 29-31