• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Good OC Story - Got a Recent One?

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A few days ago, I went to the Supercuts on Barataria in Marrero for a haircut. I go there about once a month or so, and the women who work there are all quite comfortable with me OCing in the shop. I lucked out on arrival and found no one waiting, so I went right into the chair. A few minutes later, and there was a crowd waiting. No one in the new arrivals had seen me carrying when they came in because I was by then covered up by the big drapealways used to keep hair off of your clothes.

When my barber pulled off the cover for me to stand up, I heard a noticeable gasp as people saw my gun. I walked over to the desk with the cashier and paid her while continuing a conversation I'd been having with her.

A guy in the waiting group spoke up and asked about my holster ( a Blackhawk Serpa) and wanted to know where to get one for his Glock. We chatted a bit about it, with some of the women who work in the place chiming in a bit and then the guy asked the "Are you a cop?" question. I smiled and said, "Nope, I'm just me exercising my rights." The group was fascinated and made reference to some of the Obama-associated OC stories in the news lately (all seemingly approving of OC once they understood it). I don't know if any of them decided to look into it any further, except the first guy who asked about it. He told me he was gong to take the concealed carry class from someone he knew. I told him that was a good idea, for it's important to understand the legalities and the responsibilities of carrying a gun in public regardless of how one carries.

All in all, a good public encounter and discussion.No one in that group gave me the impression that they were anti-gun after I had spoken with them; so I hope I have added one more brick in building a good public image for all gun owners (OC or not).

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

charlie12 wrote:
Good story.

Does that mean that while you were getting your haircut and had the drape on you were CCing?
I suppose that is technically correct. I posed that very question both here and on BayouShooter.com and the consensus was that only a real jerk of a LEO would cite anyone for that.

Syntax Error

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
charlie12 wrote:
Good story.

Does that mean that while you were getting your haircut and had the drape on you were CCing?
I suppose that is technically correct. I posed that very question both here and on BayouShooter.com and the consensus was that only a real jerk of a LEO would cite anyone for that.

I would not worry. YOU did not attempt to conceal, the Barber did. Can't be charged with another's crime. :)

While loading my stuff in my old truck at Wal Mart last night, a young man complimented me on my truck. I told him thanks, and he asked what kind of work I did. I prepeared myself and said Fire Protection. Here it comes.., "Why do you carry a gun?" I said because it is legal here, and you should see the news. He stated he is a bondsman and showed his weapon to me, after getting it from his car. I told him to put it on his side, and wear it proud. He did not, but has this website's info. Hopefully we will see him on here.

Matt

cajunpapapump

imported post

Well its been awhile since been on sorry, been really busy offshore and internet problems at home. Well last weekend we went to Lafayette shopping (Sams, Bestbuy, Hobbylobby). We ended up at a halloween shop next to chunky cheese where we ate. When we came out 3 cop cars in front and said here we go, but went right by holding my daughters hand and got a couple of looks from the cops but nothing said just a nod. So we went to halloween store and looked around for about an hour and a guy working there was everywhere we went, well when we went to check out Bam he said to me are you open carrying or a cop. said ocing, he asked to shake my hand that he's heard of it and thought of ocing but wasn't sure of the laws, so I gave himour web site to check out if he was interested, he said he'd drop in and check us out. Well we talked for a while about all the crap happening in Lafayette(robberies, muggings. He said he would like to get some type of training before he carrys a gun.So it was a very good day of OCing.

sraacke

imported post

I was gasing my car up one day and a guy at the fuel pump next to mine saw my gun and then saw my cap with EMT on my head and my Shirt which had a Star of Life on the back. He starts asking, "I didn't think you could carrya gun on the ambulance." I told him, "Does it look like I'min an ambulance?" DUH. I have very little patience for other people lately. One guy saw me and said "You must be an officer." I just shook my head and told him, "Nope, my last rank was Staff Sergant. Never went to OCS." Then I walked off. I was just trying to buy some catfood. Sometimes I am not in the mood to set people straight. I just want to get my shopping done and get home.
I mean, darn, I carry a cellphone in a pouch on my belt and nobody says a thing. I strap a holstered pistol to the same belt and suddenly everyone wants to know if I'm a cop. No. I'm not. Now leave me alone. :banghead:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Private property with consent by owner or agent, since she covered
it I guess we could raise the stink they made you conceal.:lol:

I just can't bring myself to OC getting a haircut, to many small hairs
to get in the gun/holster. gun grease + haircut = fuzzy bullets.
Don't want the DNA hassle down the road.
Won't be much longer till it isn't an issue with me though.:?

dirty_sanchez

imported post

I have yet to get any static or negative responses or looks.

More often than not with my normal short haircut, I get the, "Are you an officer or a cop" question to which I gladly respond back,

"Nope, I'm just a regular person just like you.Carrying openly is perfectly legal here"

I've never had Mothers run away pulling their children by their arms, had the cops called on me or any other grief over the way I choose to protect me and the family.

Dirty

sraacke

imported post

I OC whenever I get my haircut. My barber is cool with it.

As for the "are you an officer" thing I get it along with a lot of "you must work security". In fact, I do. That's where I know Soundman33 from.We worked the same guard shack for a while.I worked for American Citadel Gaurd Co and now work hospital security in Baton Rouge. But I work UNARMED. When some guy sees me standing next to my car at the gas pumps and , after seeing my pistol, asks if I work security he's assuming that I'm a licensed Armed Security guard. I am not. Keep in mind- I don't wear my company uniform when Open Carrying. As soon as I clock out I remove my shirt and either wear a t-shirt or a pull over I keep in the car. I usually don't chage pants, so I am in my black slacks but not other uniform stuff. Answering, "Yes, I'm a security guard" feeds misconceptions that I'm licensed as an armed guard and am carrying as some partof my job. Answering "Yes, I work as an unarmed security officer" leads to questions like, "If you are an unarmed guard how come you have a gun". BECAUSE I'M NOT AT WORK YOU FRACKING IDIOT! HOW COME YOU DON'T HAVE A GUN? :banghead:

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
I just can't bring myself to OC getting a haircut, to many small hairs
to get in the gun/holster. gun grease + haircut = fuzzy bullets.
Don't want the DNA hassle down the road.
Won't be much longer till it isn't an issue with me though.:?

Since we've never met, you wouldn't know that I'm rapidly heading toward not ever needing a haircut at all either. ;)Right now it's just a few minute charity case to provide income for barbers.

However, I've yet to find a hair in my gun when I've cleaned it.

Sealgar

imported post

Stupid question time.

In a couple of weeks,my wife and a co-worker will travel from Houston to aBaton Rouge office for company business. They can legally carry a gun in a car here in Texas, but what are the laws in La.for an out of state person being armed? I'd like them to be armed for obvious reasons. Neither of them has a CCW. Any advice?

jim

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jim,

Click on the maps button at the top of this page to go to info for each state. Basically, they can OC in the car or have the gun anywhere in the car they like. There is some debate about if they can conceal it on their person in their car without a concealed handgun permit. It would depend on what led to any interaction between them and any LEO.

So to be safe, OC in the car or out of it anywhere in Louisiana except in a bar or in a gun-free school zone.

And when they get back, please have them post their experience in this thread (as that would be more on-topic ;)).

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's another: I needed some oil for my wife's car, but the Autozone near my house was out (can you believe that?); so I went a little further down the road to a new O'Reilly Auto Parts. They didn't even bat an eye at my gun. In fact, the store was WAY nicer than the Autozone, so I may just change my patronage.

witerango

imported post

Not new.. Happened about a year ago. Went to Home Depot with my parents and about 5 minutes into or visit i noticed the same guy seemed to be "straightening" the shelves of every isle we went down. I figured he was security. about 30 min later we finally make it to the register and we were at the one right in front the exit door and he walks past us and stands on one side the exit door and the manager was already standing on the other side. Then an unmarked Gretna PD car flies up and stops right in the middle blocking the door he jumps out and as he runs aroudn the front of his car he asks them "where is he" the point at me and the LEO just stops and goes "that's just Evan" it was my friend that i've known for 10 years working the detail that nightand at that point me and him schooled the manager and security about OC'in.... my friend wasn't to happy about them disturing him he was across the street next in line to get dinner when they called him lol never had another issue there at least...

sraacke

imported post

witerango wrote:
.....he walks past us and stands on one side the exit door and the manager was already standing on the other side. Then an unmarked Gretna PD car flies up and stops right in the middle blocking the door he jumps out and as he runs aroudn the front of his car he asks them "where is he" the point at me and the LEO just stops and goes "that's just Evan" it was my friend that i've known for 10 years ...
OK... So the store manager and "security" bracket the door while you are paying out at the register? You havn't brandished the gun or threatened anyone and you are PAYING for your stuff just like anyone else and they still called the cops? Gretna PD dispatches a unit which rushes to the scene. For what? Think about this. It's a problem we have been dealing with in these pages over and over. What if it had been another officer?One you haven't known for 10 years? What if the officer was one who was either not familiar with the legalities of OC or had personal opinions against the practice? What if, instead of it being you, it was another OCer? The OCer may have been subjected to a false arrest and the store manager may never have been told that the customer had done nothing wrong. The fact that Gretna PD was even dispatched in the first place is an example of what is wrong with the system. I'm glad your example ended well but it sure doesn't make me feel safe OCing in Gretna.

sraacke

imported post

I have a good, recent OC story.

got off work this morning and went shoping at Albertsons. I bought a $135 money order and spent another $140 on groceries. I had my Bersa Thunder .380 holstered at 3o'clock the entire time and nobody said a thing.