• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com: Utah appeals court rules typo on gun purchase form not a crime

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Please CLICK the "subscribe" button at http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m9d27-Utah-appeals-court-rules-typo-on-gun-purchase-form-not-a-crime

SNIP

The question of whether or not gun registration violates the Second Amendment may be settled by the courts in the future. But the recent use of prosecutorial discretion to prosecute a Utah man for an innocent and non-material mistake on gun dealer transfer forms demonstrates the danger of decentralized gun registration by way of ATF Form 4473, especially since the court of appeals in this case affirmed the trial court's dismissal of the charge only because "an alien registration number is not 'information required for a background check' as contemplated by Utah Code section 76-10-526(4)(b)." State v. Kidus Chane Yohannes, 2009 UT App 270, P11 (Utah Ct. App. 2009).

In other words, if Mr. Yohannes had made a error in writing his driver license number on the ATF Form 4473, the prosecutor would have gotten the green light to proceed on the fraud charges, even though the prosecutor admitted fraud charges would likely fail at trial.

inbox485

imported post

Mike wrote:
Please CLICK the "subscribe" button at http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m9d27-Utah-appeals-court-rules-typo-on-gun-purchase-form-not-a-crime

SNIP

The question of whether or not gun registration violates the Second Amendment may be settled by the courts in the future.  But the recent use of prosecutorial discretion to prosecute a Utah man for an innocent and non-material mistake on gun dealer transfer forms demonstrates the danger of decentralized gun registration by way of ATF Form 4473, especially since the court of appeals in this case affirmed the trial court's dismissal of the charge only because "an alien registration number is not 'information required for a background check' as contemplated by Utah Code section 76-10-526(4)(b)."  State v. Kidus Chane Yohannes, 2009 UT App 270, P11 (Utah Ct. App. 2009). 

In other words, if Mr. Yohannes had made a error in writing his driver license number on the ATF Form 4473, the prosecutor would have gotten the green light to proceed on the fraud charges, even though the prosecutor admitted fraud charges would likely fail at trial. 

I for one prefer court rulings to be narrow. A broad ruling in this case may have been nice, but in too many other cases, a broad ruling can have unintended consequences, and in my opinion is unethical judicially.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

rpyne wrote:
Those who look at this ruling should also look at the actual charges involved. This was NOT an innocent mistake,it was an intentional deception.

http://resource.uvu.edu/pdf/09-07/09.21.07_One_charge_dropped_in_gun_purchases.pdf

I don;t get what you are saying - who cares what alien registration number he used? Neither number would have disqualified him from buying the gun. What deception?

I have dealt with the old INS before re alien stuff - very confusing bunch they are, always sending you numbers and information with little or no explanation, employees contraict each other all the time, etc