• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The "Castle" Doctrine

malignity

imported post

Roughly 7 sheets or so according to Box O' Truth (This is 7 sheets of sheet rock spaced at about 2 inches apart.)

In comparison however, an AR 15 goes through 16 or something ridiculous, and they've said that even 12 pine boards won't stop a .223 round.

Here are some other comparisons with boards of sheet rock.

.22 Long Rifle (Wildcats) - 4 boards and bounced off 5th board.

9MM JHP (Federal) - 8 boards, bounced off 9th.

.45ACP (Federal Hydrashocks) - 7 boards, bounced off 8th.

malignity

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Do not use less lethal rounds... you are not a cop and they can use that against you that you had a less lethal means and instead killed the guy with buckshot...
Wait, what? I'm confused here.

Are you promoting bird shot, or buckshot?

autosurgeon

imported post

Less Leathal rounds are rubber , bean bag, batan and so forth...

I would not use bird shot either

I keep 00 buck in mine... but then I live alone. I also sleep on the second floor so most of my shooting would be down the stairway to the main floor... The fatal funnel :celebrate

#1 buck might be a good choice if penetration is an issue!

Here is a good read http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

eastmeyers

imported post

Well thanks to everyone for the help. I have made up my mind to go with rubber buck in the chamber, and 00 low recoil buck behind it, untill its full.

thanks again everyone

SlowDog

imported post

Well this is just me but....i have a 105 pound Chocolate Lab that is always on alert. If a person gets by him he is definitely there in my home to do me and mine serious bodliy harm so the thing I use is my trusty Springer 45acp with Speer Gold Dot ammo. When shot throught jugs of water it spreads out to an average of .74 inches. that is a huge amount of energy being passed into said BG. Just sayin.......

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I don't think much of some of these research projects. Bird shot is not "ineffective". An ounce of lead at, oh, lets say 1000 fps at point blank range is gonna do some massive damage. I've seen bird shot cut a 1 1/2 inch tree down at fifteen yards. SHOT PLACEMENT. My cousin accidentally used #6 bird shot on opening day for deer season, instead of buckshot. He took a buck at twenty yards with it. He didn't even realize it until my uncle opened up the deer, and found the lungs nothing but a gelatinous mess, and asked what the hell he shot it with. The lungs weren't even recognizable. He checked the spent shell, and realized his mistake. We still call him "six shot" for that! If you're off target enough that only a dozen or so pellets make contact, it's not going to be very effective. If you're on target, buh bye.

UCWT

imported post

Smitty I understand your moral grounds and I feel the same on the moral aspect of it.
I'm Not saying I want to take a persons life or am tuff guy but I am a father, husband and the keeper of me and my own so I will do as needed to keep us safe.

Yes I have no idea if they are some wandering dumb ass drunk, a crackhead looking to make a quick dollar, a murderer or rapist seeking out their next victims but I will act accordingly to the threat.

If you step a foot in my yard my dogs alert me with a low growl.

I have motion lights around the perimeter of my house and have trained my dogs to seek out the source of why the lights are coming on. They act accordingly to what they see. If just a stray cat, dog, animal etc. they continue to growl but if it is a person they will bark intensely till I tell them to quit.

If for some unforeseen circumstance the dogs barking does not detour the BG and he makes it into my house. I can say that just the fact they are in my dwelling uninvited is viewed as a threat against us! They will have a fight on their hands just from the dogs.

If they make it through my dogs.
This I will view this as a EXTREAM THEAT on my household and I'm not going ask questions to find out what they intend to do and who they are!
I will tell them they need to comply with me to keep their life in more or less creative words but I'm not going to risk the chance of being overpowered and my family raped and or murdered!

If they choose to not comply and advance !!
They will be met with 3" BB steel shot.

The moral of this post is get some good dogs it is the best first defense against any intruder.
As much as I would hate for either of my adopted furry family members to be killed. This is their purpose to ALERT and DEFEND us as needed.

Just my .02 on it.

UCWT

imported post

Springfield Smitty wrote:
I too have dogs and daughters and a wife.

Amen brother! As long as your doing right by them keeping yourself and them safe. I understand that tie to them. I tear up just thinking about the what ifs about my family(dogs included)!

By only gods good graces will I never have to feel that burden on my soul but I know I may.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

If you're worried about legal implications of having an LTL option available... you could load your shotgun with 00, and have maybe a handgun with simmunitions or something. That way if they're armed and you have to shoot 'em, you can, and they don't need to know, and if they're unarmed but still a threat, you have a way to make them really unhappy without killing them.

Just a thought... but in general if you need to shoot someone its probable that you'll need to kill them.