Thread: Can my dad OC with my own guns?

Post imported post

hello all

can my family OC with guns which are under my name

all of them have a clean police record and are green card holders or usa citizens

and all of us live in virginia

Post imported post

Sure! If anyone asks just tell them that T Dubya on OCDO said it was okay. J/K

I don't see why not. There are a few OCDO members that really know the law and I'm sure they will say that it's okay.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

As long as they are legally eligible to possess, they can OC.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

jeejej

ok hes gonna looks like rambo l ll lll iv this up coming weekend

Post imported post

Guns aren't "under your name" in this state. We have no registration here.

Post imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
    hello all

can my family OC with guns which are under my name

all of them have a clean police record and are green card holders or usa citizens

and all of us live in virginia
    Where are you from?
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
    with guns which are under my name
    what do you mean "under your name"? There is no "gun registry" in VA.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

i mean the purchase receipt has my name on it not theirs

Post imported post

falls church virginia, born in colombia

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
    i mean the purchase receipt has my name on it not theirs
    does not matter as long as they are old enough to carry it legally and are not otherwise prohibited from carrying
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    Sure! If anyone asks just tell them that T Dubya on OCDO said it was okay. J/K

I don't see why not. There are a few OCDO members that really know the law and I'm sure they will say that it's okay.
    First, "Welcome to OCDO!" Be sure to check out the meet-ups and to think about joining VCDL www.vcdl.org .

The thing about open carry is there is no law about it in Virginia. Virginia;s system only writes laws about what you cannot do - for instance it is not legal to carry a concealed weapon. BUT the General Asembly then wrote into that law an exception if you qualify for a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP).

Even with a CHP there are some places where you cannot carry concealed - like a restaurant or cliub that serves alcohol for on-premises consumption. There is no law that says you cannot open carry in those places - so when we go to a place that serves beer/wine/booze we can open carry.

You need to check the federal laws on Green Card holders being allowed to possess (that means even touch) firearms. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b5
    B5) Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition? [Back]

Yes, a person who –

(1) Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;

(2) Is a fugitive from justice;

(3) Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;

(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

(6) Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

(7) Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;

(8) Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or

(9) Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

(10) Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
    A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]
    It looks as if your family will be "good to go" but I am not an attorney so do not rely on what I say.

Again, welcome to OCDO, Virginia, amd the United States to you and your family.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

There is a difference between "ownership" and "possession". It doesn't make a spit's worth of difference who owns the gun, the question is about the eligibility of the person in possession of the gun (which has already been well discussed).

But, to belabor the point, it's possible for a legally insane illegal colonist who's also a convicted felon to own a firearm, as long as he's never in possession of it.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

user wrote:
    There is a difference between "ownership" and "possession". It doesn't make a spit's worth of difference who owns the gun, the question is about the eligibility of the person in possession of the gun (which has already been well discussed).

But, to belabor the point, it's possible for a legally insane illegal colonist who's also a convicted felon to own a firearm, as long as he's never in possession of it.
    Much in the same way a blind person can own a car but not have possession of it.

In fact, as a teen my grandmother owned the car I used but it was registered inmy name. Her name was on the title. Mine on the registration.