• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can my dad OC with my own guns?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sure! If anyone asks just tell them that T Dubya on OCDO said it was okay. J/K;)

I don't see why not. There are a few OCDO members that really know the law and I'm sure they will say that it's okay.

ODA 226

imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
hello all

can my family OC with guns which are under my name

all of them have a clean police record and are green card holders or usa citizens

and all of us live in virginia
Where are you from?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Sure! If anyone asks just tell them that T Dubya on OCDO said it was okay. J/K;)

I don't see why not. There are a few OCDO members that really know the law and I'm sure they will say that it's okay.

First, "Welcome to OCDO!" Be sure to check out the meet-ups and to think about joining VCDL www.vcdl.org .

The thing about open carry is there is no law about it in Virginia. Virginia;s system only writes laws about what you cannot do - for instance it is not legal to carry a concealed weapon. BUT the General Asembly then wrote into that law an exception if you qualify for a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP).

Even with a CHP there are some places where you cannot carry concealed - like a restaurant or cliub that serves alcohol for on-premises consumption. There is no law that says you cannot open carry in those places - so when we go to a place that serves beer/wine/booze we can open carry.

You need to check the federal laws on Green Card holders being allowed to possess (that means even touch) firearms. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b5
B5) Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition? [Back]

Yes, a person who –

(1) Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;

(2) Is a fugitive from justice;

(3) Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;

(4) Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

(6) Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

(7) Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;

(8) Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or

(9) Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

(10) Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]
It looks as if your family will be "good to go" but I am not an attorney so do not rely on what I say.

Again, welcome to OCDO, Virginia, amd the United States to you and your family.

stay safe.

skidmark

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

There is a difference between "ownership" and "possession". It doesn't make a spit's worth of difference who owns the gun, the question is about the eligibility of the person in possession of the gun (which has already been well discussed).

But, to belabor the point, it's possible for a legally insane illegal colonist who's also a convicted felon to own a firearm, as long as he's never in possession of it.

darthmord

imported post

user wrote:
There is a difference between "ownership" and "possession". It doesn't make a spit's worth of difference who owns the gun, the question is about the eligibility of the person in possession of the gun (which has already been well discussed).

But, to belabor the point, it's possible for a legally insane illegal colonist who's also a convicted felon to own a firearm, as long as he's never in possession of it.

Much in the same way a blind person can own a car but not have possession of it.

In fact, as a teen my grandmother owned the car I used but it was registered inmy name. Her name was on the title. Mine on the registration.