• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry-A NEED FOR ATTENTION

itscrazy

imported post

We certainly have the right to open carry in the state of Michigan andI am a licensed CPL holder.

In my opinion people that Open Carry thrive on the attention they get from the public or they have the mentality that they would like to flaunt it in the face of the law enforcement community.

NO DOUBT we have the right but why the "In your face" approach.

Open carry advocates love to relive every reaction that they get from the public.

Cowboys OPEN CARRY

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

itscrazy wrote:
We certainly have the right to open carry in the state of Michigan andI am a licensed CPL holder.

In my opinion people that Open Carry thrive on the attention they get from the public or they have the mentality that they would like to flaunt it in the face of the law enforcement community.
I believe it would be the first. Many open carriers do enjoy getting "attention" (though I don't really agree with this wording)from the public because it shows that progress is being made. Many folks are not as enlightened as you as to the laws. The more people become aware that we are regular people that are simply looking out for our own safety and not crooks or Rambos, the better life will be for us. So yes, progress towards this goal is encouraging to us. As for the second half, I would disagree. I believe I speak for the majority of the people here when I say that we would rather be in harmony with law enforcement. When you see a group of us ranting about a particular department, it is due to the fact that they choose to disrupt our lives and make threats and take unlawfulaction to dissuade us from a simple liberty.
Just because something is visible does not mean it is "in your face". And if someone does wrong byus, yes, we will call them on it.
Open carry advocates love to relive every reaction that they get from the public.
Actually not every reaction. I often see folks take notice that I am armed and simply go about their day. There is no reason to relive this. Now, if someone questions the activity, yes we may relive the experience a time or two amongstcolleagues to collaborate on effective measures of communicating. Is this not a common practice for ANY endeavour?
Cowboys OPEN CARRY
Docowboys also ride horses, chew tobacco and smoke cigars while drinking whiskey from a flask after a gunfight at high noon outside the saloon before stopping at the brothel for a woman?
C'mon... logical debate is always welcome, but try to stay relevant.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

itscrazy wrote:
I'm also a CPL holder and aren't RIGHTS great.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. While I'm surea small percentage do carry open for the wrong reasons, most carry for both protection and also to get gun ownership "out of the closet" andto show others that we gun owners are good people. We are your friends, family and neighbors and we are not criminals just because we own/carry firearms.

Again, opinion. I think the "in your face" thing is much more to do with attitude then the mere fact that we OC a sidearm.

Not ALL, not even most or many, but rather a few, yes.
Remember it takes all kinds. I'm 100% sure there are many that CC to make themselves feel better about themselves but then again thats an argument most used by the Anti-gunners so I won't use it and neither should you.

Cowboys OPEN CARRY
Good guys open carry and conceal carry. Cops OC as a deterrent and for faster draw when needed as do I.

My comments in blue.

We are NOT enemies. I won't treat you as one and I would hope you would extend the same courtesy to me.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

itscrazy wrote:

"In my opinion" people that Open Carry thrive on the attention they get from the public or they have the mentality that they would like to flaunt it in the face of the law enforcement community.EXACTLY In your opinion.

You answered your own question. Its our 2nd amendment right

Cowboys = OPEN CARRY=
Right to bare arms.

Juggernaut

imported post

dougwg wrote:
DO NOT START INSULTING HIM.

maybe you could go back to the North Carolina forum and cause issues there.

I was not trying to insult them. Simply trying to find out ifthey were here to stir the pot and leave. I have never caused anyissues in ANY part of this site and don't plan on it.

Intheir other post I didreferencethem to where we all have been talking about "WHY" we open carry as there is a lot more material.

Maybe I'll just leave all together. Or not.

XD40coyote

imported post

I OC wearing my clown costume and a big pimp hat over the red wig. My shoes are clown shoes, but made of genuine alligator. I OC 3 guns at a time- a desert eagle, an 8" barrel .44 mag, and an AK slung over my back.

Happy now?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Forum,

Don't get too worked up. You get a real clue when someone's first post is hostile.

And when they contradict themselves by saying one has the right to do something, but then says it shouldn't be exercised. Which is just another way of saying one shouldn't have the right.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

itscrazy wrote:
[thread title]

Of course I want attention.

I want to call people's attention to the fact that they have a basic human right to self-defense, and that blood doesn't run in the street when law-abiding citizens are armed.

The best part is that I have had many, many more positive encounters with citizens than negative. I've discovered for myself that, contrary to the media,police, and some elements of the 2A world, people do not dive out of windows in terror or run screaming at the sight of a gun. Many, many people are supportive.

B

Bikenut

imported post

itscrazy wrote:

What good is a "right" if it is not exercised? Since there is the "right" to open carry why would anyone complain when folks choose to actually do it?

I too have a CPL... but I don't think that licensed "privilege" granted to me by the State makes me any more special than folks who do not have a CPL and choose to open carry in order to be able to defend themselves... or those who simply choose to open carry BECAUSE IT IS A "RIGHT".

By they way... a "right" means something that cannot be taken away but a "license" is a "privilege" that can be taken away at any time. By exercising a "right" a person says... "I can do this."... by depending upon a licensed "privilege" a person says... "Can I do this please?".

There is a vast difference between those who do things because they know they don't need to ask... and those who think they must ask permission first. That difference is the understanding of what the word "RIGHT" actually means.

The wonderful thing about this great country is that folks have the "right" to free speech.. which includes voicing their opinions. It never ceases to astound me when folks stand on their 1st Amendment "rights" to bash the "rights" contained in the other Amendments in the Bill of Rights.

Please do not mistake educating interested people in the public with attention seeking. Educating folks about their "rights" is a worthwhile endeavor that has nothing to do with seeking attention.

But why would anyone thrive upon the attention of being held at gunpoint on the ground or cuffed and stuffed? It isn't about the attention my friend... it is all about exercising a "right". Have you noticed that all the so called "attention" comes from folks who feel insecure at the sight of an ordinary citizen with a gun? Who really has the problem? The person carrying the gun or the person so insecure the simple sight of a gun scares them?

It is my opinion that considering legal open carry to be "In your face" is a classic case of projection. In short... folks who feel insecure and intimidated lash out at the thing that makes them feel that way.... instead of dealing with their own insecurities. Just because something is there doesn't mean it is "In your face" unless you choose to interpret it that way.

And anti gun folks love to relive every restriction they can force upon the 2nd Amendment "right".... restrictions usually forced through by the extensive use of the 1st Amendment "right" of free speech.

Sir, with respect, if you were to read the posts throughout this entire forum a bit more carefully you will find many that reference open carrying without incident that include wording along the lines of.... "Nothing happened... as it should be." That alone should be a tip off that open carriers are not looking for confrontation but are expecting to have no confrontations since they are doing nothing more than exercising a "right".

Cowboys OPEN CARRY

Cowboys, the real cowboys of the "Old West", open carried for the same reasons folks open carry today. Having the ability for self defense with comfort and accessibility. And open carry in the "Old West" was so commonplace no one paid any attention... kinda like Arizona today.

Or are you using the term "cowboy" as a derogatory term similar to "Rambo" when describing contemporary open carriers? If so please see my comment about projection I made earlier.
My comments are above in blue.

I apologize for the length of my reply.

DanM

imported post

itscrazy wrote:
As introduction, I am a resident of Michigan andhold a valid CPL, like you. I CC and OC.

Can you give a source and quote it? I don't see any of that here amongst the folks I know to be real-life OC'ersfrom this website. Perhaps you have seen trolls trying to stir the pot here by writing fiction about civilian or police encounters.

You should be careful about what you read on the internet. It's not all true.

Cowboys OPEN CARRY

So do hunters. And hikers. And people wearing non-concealing clothing. And people who don't like to sweat on their gun and compromise their handling of it. And people who want or need the ease and/or speed of one-handed draw from a non-concealed holster. And people who don't have CPLs . . . they have the right to keep and bear arms too, right? And . . .

Well, you get the point I hope. Either you love and support our wonderful natural right to keep and bear arms, with all the great lawful options you can choose from with respect to how you do it and with what arms you choose to arm yourself. Or you don't. Pick a side of the fence, brother.

empirers fall

imported post

Excellent replies to original post. The difference between a "right" and "privilege" is an important one to discern. Some may feel that driving a car is a "right" or that they have a "right" to get married. Neither is true, both are licensed by the government. One must first meet the governing bodies' requirements to receive a license to legally do either.

A CPL grants a "privilege" , OCing is a "right"

malignity

imported post

itscrazy wrote:

Cowboys OPEN CARRY

Wanna know why?

I'll give you the simple answer.

Because it's our second amendment right to bear arms.

Anyone that supports the second amendment should support the fact that we should be able to carry any way we so choose. There's no luke-warm on the subject. You either do or you don't. I imagine you're probably one of those pro-gun right anti-assault rifle kinda guys too, eh? :quirky

rj3663

imported post

I have a permit and a casual approach to oc. It's usually in my back pocket where it's ridden for years. I no longer watch to make sure its covered and if I was given the ability to do so I would only have it visiable to the goblins. I appear enough like a goblin myself to make that "judge a book by its cover" approach impossable but in my community people know me as a good guy. It's not unusual for the local punks to leave the park when I take my kids there bike riding. Fine with me. The goblins are the only ones I care about anyway. Its my right. And btw, what's the definition of "cowboy"?