• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry-A NEED FOR ATTENTION

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

itscrazy wrote:
We certainly have the right to open carry in the state of Michigan and  I am a licensed CPL holder.

In my opinion people that Open Carry thrive on the attention they get from the public or they have the mentality that they would like to flaunt it in the face of the law enforcement community. 

NO DOUBT we have the right but why the "In your face" approach.

Open carry advocates love to relive every reaction that they get from the public.

Cowboys OPEN CARRY

What's funny is that most cops have at least a small dose of this very same mentality - that's why they're cops. They LIKE the power it gives them. Most cops - if they were honest, would agree.

And the reason most cops don't like open carry is because they DON'T like sharing that feeling with non-LEO.

I openly carry for the following reasons:

1) Because I can.
2) Convenience
3) Personal Protection (Though I CC for the same reason)
4) Political Statement

Nothing else plays a major factor in the decision, other than above.

autosurgeon

imported post

cowboy Noun1. (in the US and Canada) a ranch worker who herds and tends cattle, usually on horseback 2. a conventional character of Wild West folklore or films 3. Brit, Austral, NZ Informal an irresponsible or unscrupulous worker or businessman

Note the informal :what::lol::lol: Note who uses the informal :celebrate

rj3663

imported post

itscrazy wrote:
In my opinion people that Open Carry thrive on the attention they get from the public or they have the mentality that they would like to flaunt it in the face of the law enforcement community.
Last comment here I swear. Opinions are great. Theyre like armpits and butt holes. Everybodys got em' and they all stink.

Haman J.T.

imported post

Citizen wrote:
itscrazy wrote:
[thread title]

Of course I want attention.

I want to call people's attention to the fact that they have a basic human right to self-defense, and that blood doesn't run in the street when law-abiding citizens are armed.

The best part is that I have had many, many more positive encounters with citizens than negative. I've discovered for myself that, contrary to the media,police, and some elements of the 2A world, people do not dive out of windows in terror or run screaming at the sight of a gun. Many, many people are supportive.
I want attention also,for educational purposes. Half the people who have asked me about my OCed pistol, asked me if I was a LEO. I told them no, and that they have a federal and MI state right to self defense, and that LEO's are not lawfully required to protect any individual. All of my encounters with citizens have been positive and educational for them and they were appreciative for the info, as I believe any citizen would be,learning of their ability to defend themselves lawfully. I believe thats what happens when they learn that the media's decades long recommendation's of "give them whatever they want", isn't true when it comes to their safety,and has been proven on a daily basis by the news media that reports all of the defenseless victim's deaths, because they gave them what they wanted and were murdered anyway! I am pro-choice when it comes to whether I want to live or die at the hands of an evil person! Those who are against citizens defending themselves do not understand the sanctity of life or the truth that God gave us life and the ability to protect what HE gave us! One who has made 2 post's and lives where?, obviously does'nt understand life and the lives of others! My hope is that will change with the truth!

B

Bikenut

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
you know the Op was a troll right? 2 posts?
Even if the OP were to be found to be a troll I think it behooves us to counter any and all comments that are factually incorrect, emotionally charged, implication and/or innuendo manipulative, or agenda driven simply because the uninformed will read those things and take away a burden of deliberate misinformation.

I think it is my responsibility to counter any and all anti gun drivel where ever I encounter it because........... if I fail to counter lies with the truth then the lies become the truth.

And when lies become truth "rights" become "privileges".

jeremy05

imported post

itscrazy wrote:
We certainly have the right to open carry in the state of Michigan andI am a licensed CPL holder.

Open carry advocates love to relive every reaction that they get from the public.

Cowboys OPEN CARRY
The problem with this type of troll is that everything he states is a matter of opinion. And like all species of troll you can't change their mind in the slightest.

He lumps EVERYONE into 1 category. When you say that EVERYONE that open carry's does X you are likely going to get a response from everyone that doesn't do X.

Although i don't get the Cowboys open carry? He doesn't like cowboys? Some people need cowboy hats? what?

jeremy05

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
jeremy05 wrote:
you know the Op was a troll right? 2 posts?
Even if the OP were to be found to be a troll I think it behooves us to counter any and all comments that are factually incorrect, emotionally charged, implication and/or innuendo manipulative, or agenda driven simply because the uninformed will read those things and take away a burden of deliberate misinformation.

I think it is my responsibility to counter any and all anti gun drivel where ever I encounter it because........... if I fail to counter lies with the truth then the lies become the truth.

And when lies become truth "rights" become "privileges".
oh quoted wrong person, but oh well.

Yeah I can see debating with a Troll, thats always fun, but this type of troll just posts one time and leaves to never return to see a comment, or reads them from the bushes.

conservative85

imported post

Duh! trolllllll duh!, oh by the way Cowboys settled this country, and everybody open carried, not just cowboys... what a troll

rj3663

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
cowboy Noun1. (in the US and Canada) a ranch worker who herds and tends cattle, usually on horseback 2. a conventional character of Wild West folklore or films 3. Brit, Austral, NZ Informal an irresponsible or unscrupulous worker or businessman

Note the informal :what::lol::lol: Note who uses the informal :celebrate
Makes me wonder which "cowboys" Willie Nelson was pleading with mammas not to let their babies grow up to be. Either way I don't recall anything about guns.

ghostrider

imported post

Let’s see.

Most of those gun owners/carriers in Michigan who have been following the OC movement are well enough aware by now to know that, contrary to initial fears of it being a detriment to our firearm rights, it has in fact brought it more towards mainstream, and thereby been a positive influence.

Most of the gun owners/carriers, who disliked OC, did so because they incorrectly thought that it would have adverse affects on those gun rights that we already enjoy. Most of them who have been following it have now realized that, (“Holy Cow Batman! Go tell Chicken Little that the sky isn’t falling.”) It has proven to have quite the opposite effect. What it is instead doing is dispelling the myth that, “Only cops and criminals have guns.” (A myth that has been propagated by not only the media, but also law enforcement itself). This of course was quite predictable, but it still didn’t prevent the naysayers. One cannot be well versed in the subject, and not realize that the practice has had positive effects for gun owners and rights in every state in which it’s been taking place.

Zigziggityzoo’s post was spot on:

zigziggityzoo wrote:
itscrazy wrote:
We certainly have the right to open carry in the state of Michigan andI am a licensed CPL holder.

Cowboys OPEN CARRY

What's funny is that most cops have at least a small dose of this very same mentality - that's why they're cops. They LIKE the power it gives them. Most cops - if they were honest, would agree.

And the reason most cops don't like open carry is because they DON'T like sharing that feeling with non-LEO.

I openly carry for the following reasons:

1) Because I can.
2) Convenience
3) Personal Protection (Though I CC for the same reason)
4) Political Statement

Nothing else plays a major factor in the decision, other than above.

Many (not all) LEO’s equate their firearm to the power of the position, and as such dislike seeing private citizens exhibiting that same power. Many private citizens also equate an officer’s firearm to power of the position, and many (if not most) officers realize this. Because of this, some of them resent the idea that the general public may start to realize that the firearm isn’t only for police officers. As such, they see OC (and those who do it) as a threat. They may (or may not) realize this, but it’s at least true on a subconscious level. People and police have been coming up with all kinds of excuses to oppose OC, but most of those fears have been dispelled. The officer really has nothing more to fear from an OC’er than anyone else, the truth is, the reason the officer opposes it is because he/she feels it threatens his personal/professional power base.

It is because of this that the OP can only be of two camps. Either the OP has done very little research on the topic, and therefore is only lashing out in an emotional, knee jerk reaction to what he/she perceives to be a “new thing”. Or the OP is just one more officer who deep down inside sees something that he/she feels threatens his/her personal power base.

Some of them eventually get over that insecurity, and realize that it isn't the dilemma that they initially thought it would be. Others, well... I have to wonder about someone who feels he/she needs to wield power over others. While I certainly cannot relate, I do believe that such types will never understand, because their focus in on the aspect of personal power, rather than empowerment.

Just my $.02.

jeremy05

imported post

Can we lock this or delete it? People are just preaching to the choir. the OP isn't debating, he just stirred the pot and left Come on Admins!

B

Bikenut

imported post

I will probably become very unpopular right about now... but hey... it's not like it would be the first time.

I find the talk about the original poster being a troll somewhat disturbing. If the poster actually is trolling then poking fun at him/her surely doesn't portray the members of this forum in a very good light... does it?

Would it not be more advantageous to address each and every point made in the original post with factual responses?

After all... if the original poster's mind can't be changed, and I'm not sure of that yet, other folks reading it will have subsequent posts offering facts for them to digest. After all, this forum is open to the entire internet and we keep giving out tri-folds with the forum's addy on it hoping to have more folks check it out.

What say you?

Michigander

imported post

I'm going to go with this being a cop. I have never, ever met someone other than a cop who commented something along the lines of we are challenging police. That is obviously not true, because it is overly obvious that it's the police that challenge us. It seems the only reason someone would take it that way would be that they're a cop who feels it's "us against them" and OCers are a challenge because they level the playing field. It is both sad and wrong that some police feel this way. We should all get along very very well, because we are all after the same thing, which is the common good.

And by the way, I don't know of anyone here who has a desire to be in anyones face about OCing, or really anything else. This is by far the most outgoing and friendly community I've ever had the privilege of being a part of.

FatboyCykes

imported post

That's fine, but it was done in the first two posts following the OP. Not to mention that this is the first of two almost identical posts. At that point, w/o any indication that an intelligent discussion or debate will take place, imo, he/she's fair game. Nobody has been terribly rude to the op, again, imo. I'm all for the thread being locked, but until then, meh.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I'm going to go with this being a cop. I have never, ever met someone other than a cop who commented something along the lines of we are challenging police. That is obviously not true, because it is overly obvious that it's the police that challenge us.

And by the way, I don't know of anyone here who has a desire to be in anyones face about OCing, or really anything else. This is by far the most outgoing and friendly community I've ever had the privilege of being a part of.
Oh yeah?

I hate you!