• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to this forum

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Someone should not point out to CATA that by saying they allow concealed pistols from CPL holders on their buses that they allow CPL holders to carry pistols exposed, as the second they get on that bus, it is legally concealed.

Denny

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
Someone should not point out to CATA that by saying they allow concealed pistols from CPL holders on their buses that they allow CPL holders to carry pistols exposed, as the second they get on that bus, it is legally concealed.
Did You mean to say that someone should point that out? I'm thinking the "not" was a typo in your question, correct?

Denny

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
The not was not a typo :) It was sarcasm, as telling CATA the information would most likely lead to an unfavorable outcome for CPL holders.

Hmm, Sarcasm is easy to misinterpret in these posts. So let me get this clear. The point of that post was sarcasm and you are not saying that you think that inquiring about their policies and trying to get them changed so that they are in more in line with the second amendment is a mistake?

Anyways, all that has happened so far is a request for clarification on what their policy actually is in regards to concealed and open carry. They have said concealed is ok but I'll be interested to see what their response would be to someone with a cpl open carrying on the bus. I don't thinkopening a dialog with them and trying to get them to change their policy is a mistake. If we were afraid to speak out for our right to keep and bear arms for fear of tighter restrictions then thats exactly what we would get is tighter restrictions in my opinion. We only get to keep the rights we stand up and fight for.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The point was humor. I am sorry you do not see the humor in them posting a sign saying weapons are not permitted, then sending you a letter stating concealed carry with a CPL is legal, especially considering openly carrying a handgun on their bus would be legally considered concealed carry.

I did not attack you, your methods, or your goal. I was mocking a company who clearly has no clue what they are talking about.

Damn man, lighten up a little :p

Denny

imported post

Received an email this morningfrom Sandy Rios who is a customer service manager at CATA. She appologized for not getting back to me sooner and said that she would be happy to answer any questions that I had but didn't address any of the questions from my previous email. I reiterated my questions about their policies and sent it off. I will update as soon as they actually clarify what their policy is on open carry. Sounds like they never thought about it and have no policy to me.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

dougwg wrote:
cabman1 wrote:
Hay sense ive been here there has been no meets in lansing anyone up for 1?????

I know there has been at least 1, maybe 2.

We should pick some where new.
How about Royal Oak? I'm interested to see if they're more receptive now that the FBI has had a chat with the ROPD...

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Denny wrote:
Received an email this morningfrom Sandy Rios who is a customer service manager at CATA. She appologized for not getting back to me sooner and said that she would be happy to answer any questions that I had but didn't address any of the questions from my previous email. I reiterated my questions about their policies and sent it off. I will update as soon as they actually clarify what their policy is on open carry. Sounds like they never thought about it and have no policy to me.
I think someone mentioned this already, but to the best of my understanding, this is mandated by law... you can only carry in a vehicle with a CPL, but 'open carry' or 'concealed carry' are negated by the fact that any pistol in a vehicle is technically considered 'concealed' by law.

Denny

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Denny wrote:
I think someone mentioned this already, but to the best of my understanding, this is mandated by law... you can only carry in a vehicle with a CPL, but 'open carry' or 'concealed carry' are negated by the fact that any pistol in a vehicle is technically considered 'concealed' by law.
Yeah, this was pointed out in an earlier post. I am seeking clarification on whether they are considered a private entity or part of the municipality as that makes a huge difference in what laws apply. Also, I am asking them about their policies on all cata property and not just buses, hence the statements about open carry and concealed. You would be open carrying in the bus station but I agree that as soon as you stepped on the bus it would be concealed whether visible or not. :)

Denny

imported post

Quick Update. Have been talking to cata on and off for a few weeks. They have been pretty much giving me the run around and I have dealt with 3 different people without getting any substantive answers. Apparently they have decided to stop answering my messages now. I have asked Venator to try and contact them in hopes that maybe he can get some answers out of them and he has graciously agreed to help me out.

conservative85

imported post

We need to find out if c.a.t.a is private or public!

Private property over rules all laws on possession.

Denny

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
We need to find out if c.a.t.a is private or public!

Private property over rules all laws on possession.
They have been asked that multiple times and have refused to answer. If they fall under a municipal entity then preemption comes into effect and they have been notified of that as well. If they are private then they can do what ever they want but so far have also refused to state an open carry policy. They have even told me concealed carry with a cpl is allowed which is contradictory to their posted policies. They have been asked to ammend their posted policies to reflect what they have told me about concealed carry and so far have decided not to address that either.

conservative85

imported post

The thing about the sign is that it means nothing. If you disregard the sign there is no penalty under state law that you can be charged. Which tells me that they are private, usually municipalities, parks etc have signs posted with the ordinance or M.C.L number as reference. Private property just place generic signs to intimidate.

Denny

imported post

Saw this on another site and thought it applied. As far as our local bus company CATA, they have stopped answering all correspondence from me. I don't know if Venator is having any luck with them either.

Riders armed, bus crimes drop

The Georgia legislature in 2008 allowed concealed weapons permit holders to carry concealed weapons on public transportation, despite objections from MARTA, the public transportation system in Atlanta.

Beverly Scott, MARTA’s general manager, called the bill “vigilantism.”

The law took effect in July 2008.

“Since July of 2008, there have been no news stories of blazing gun battles on MARTA, which would surely have been newsworthy events,” Ed Stone wrote.

The overall crime rate dropped 33 percent from fiscal 2006 to fiscal 2009 (the first year of the new law). There have been no murders, three rapes and a drop in robberies since the law took effect.

Instead of Charles Bronson, the bus company got Fred Rogers. Once again, an armed populace is a safe one.