• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Persuasion

hunter45

imported post

My assignment for my interpersonal skills class is to find a video online (up to about 6:00 long or so) that shows someone using good persuasion skills. I thought I'd look for something that involves open carry or just the 2nd amendment in general. Anyone have any particular videos in mind? Thanks. :)

One video that came to my mind is Reverend Blanchard's video on freedom and the 2A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o86JTxJ9myU

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I would like to suggest, nay, remind you of something which is blatantly abused by anti's AND by gun people, and that is the term(s) "assault weapon/assault rifle".

This term, in is more recent and negative context, is the invention (read that as twisting) of Josh Sugarman after the 1989 Stockton, CA school yard shooting. He was looking for a term that would conjure up visceral feelings of fear and anxiety among gun-ignorant people and he found it in this term.

The actual definition of "assault rifle" is (paraphrased) "a shoulder arm of light to medium power which is capable of a selective rate of fire". In other words, a selectable fully-automatic rifle, such as a real AK-47 or an M16 or SAW. This soon was morphed into "assault weapn" to give it an even more sinister and wide-spread coverage of evil looking guns.

So please be aware that none of these people in the 60 Minutes video were handling or talking about assault rifles. They were all semi-auto rifles. However, a few machine guns were shown, probably just to make gun shows appear more ominous and evil.

marine77

imported post

What gets me is 20 years ago, 60 minutes would have been bashing gun owners,

and all the political parties would have been strutting around saying "I'm going to

pass this bill" or "I passed this bill to keep people safe, it's for the safety of the

children"... and on and on ad naseum. But now i see that the lovers of the second

amendment and gunowners are really getting together. They're better coordinated,

and not behind the eight ball. It was really something hearing the one guy say that

nobody wanted to stick their neck out for gun control anymore, or not as many as

there used to be. That's great in my estimation.

Now if American's would get off their collective butts, and tell the government about

all the rights we're losing, and put the politico's feet to the fire and hold them

responsible for the things that they do, wow this country would be a lot greater than

it is now. Just think what the possibilities could be.