Thread: Shooting ranges

Post imported post

I was wondering if anyone on the forum knows of a shooting range that is affordable for individuals with modest means? Also, a good friend of the OCer's passed away - Robert Deas. He will be missed.

Post imported post

What part of MS are you looking for. Im a member of the Starkville gun club since i am here for school.

Post imported post

Coast Rifle and Pistol Club is a great one. I was a member a few years ago (before I bought my land to shoot on!) and the fee was like $75 per year, and all they asked of you was to show up and help on one or two work days at the Range. It's located in Woolmarket.

Post imported post

We are located in South MS. I checked into the Club you mentioned and was told $200 per month. I will check again. Thanks and keep your powder dry. BlackRobedRev.

Post imported post

here are a few ideas:

Http://www.pascagouladcm.com/news.php

Desoto District range (FREE!) between Wiggins and hattiesburg 601-928-4442

Gulfport Police Range
    228-868-5965

Post imported post

A couple notes about the De Soto / Black Creek range near Brooklyn:
    • Yes it is free. The sign states it's maintained by the US Forestry Service and the MS forestry service (I forget its actual name).
    • It's located on some meandering dirt/gravel road, a bit hard to find if you don't know where it is (and the state dept's info is next to useless). http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...508ee&z=19
    • Because it's free, you will quite possibly have to share the range with idiots with poor muzzle control, etc. (Had one moron standing next to me step 4' back from the firing line and shoot his Mosin-Nagant from the hip. ) Keep your eyes and ears peeled.
    • There used to be wire mesh spread between shortened utility poles for holding paper targets, but those were apparently shot away within 6 months.
    • As of this spring, there was a new bench built on the firing line, but there's no telling what state it's in now.

If you're near Epley, there's a cleared area half a mile or so off the Trace's Epley Station that is used as a shooting range.

Post imported post

Thanks a bunch! Blackrobedrev.

Post imported post

No help for Blackrobed Rev, but for those of us "up north" there is a very cheap, very informal "range" behind Mitch's Gun Shop in Hamilton. $5 range fee, $5 rentals of some very nice guns (Springfield EMP & 1911 Match, XDs, XDms, Rugers). It's not really a full-up range, it's just a berm in an open field. But the price is right, the company is good, and besides, there nowhere else around here anyway.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Post imported post

Thanks Eeyore, we spent the last week with our entire congregation camping in a remote area where we had the opportunity to enforce the teachings of survival camping and firearm usuage, in addition to Biblical instruction - so- the old addage of "praise the Lord and pass the ammo" still rings true in South MS. BlackRobedRev.

Post imported post

Eeyore wrote:
    No help for Blackrobed Rev, but for those of us "up north" there is a very cheap, very informal "range" behind Mitch's Gun Shop in Hamilton. $5 range fee, $5 rentals of some very nice guns (Springfield EMP & 1911 Match, XDs, XDms, Rugers). It's not really a full-up range, it's just a berm in an open field. But the price is right, the company is good, and besides, there nowhere else around here anyway.
    That's awesome, wish Hattiesburg had a place like that. I'd love to take some pistols for a test drive.

Post imported post

Nice to speak with you. I do hope that you find a place suitable for you to test drive your weapons soon. It was enjoyable having a group involved. BlackRobedRev