• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surprise (gasp!) Press tells only half of story on Bull's Eye Shooter Supply

gsx1138

imported post

Just wrote a comment in there. I honestly was wondering the same thing. I was going to call and see if they were going to stay open. My wife was so happy with the service she pushed me into buying my Ruger 10/22 from them. And we'll be going back to get her the Sig 229 that she wants.

It sucks that they are getting F'd over like this because the guy behind the counter was not at all like most of the assholes at other gun shops. If there's one thing the gun industry lacks it's quality of service. Bulls eye seems to be stepping up in that dept.

Squeak

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
Just wrote a comment in there. I honestly was wondering the same thing. I was going to call and see if they were going to stay open. My wife was so happy with the service she pushed me into buying my Ruger 10/22 from them. And we'll be going back to get her the Sig 229 that she wants.

It sucks that they are getting F'd over like this because the guy behind the counter was not at all like most of the @#$%s at other gun shops. If there's one thing the gun industry lacks it's quality of service. Bulls eye seems to be stepping up in that dept.
Post his address so we can give him some support:D

Dave Workman

imported post

Bull's Eye Shooter Supply
414 A Puyallup Ave.
Tacoma, WA 98421

(253) 572 - 6417

gsx1138

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I bought myveryfirstfirearm from Bryan, the original owner, way back when his "gun shop" was actually in his basement, 1994. This was a couple years before he moved into the current shop.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

And where was all this same attention when the TNT ran a front page story in a positive light on Cascade Arms in Olympia? Or the one they did on a dealer of black powder guns who had been in business for a couple of decades? And those two are just off the top of my head.

Fact. OLD owner of Bullseye, the one who let the DC Sniper get ahold of an AR lost his FFL. Fact. That was recently upheld in court. There was an ommission in the article, but since the NEW FFL has nothing to do with the OLD FFL, and has apparently made an effort to distance themselves from the OLD FFL, I see little reason to bring up the NEW and UNRELATED FFL in this piece.

Come on Dave, next time a local paper runs a positive gun article, I expect you to spill as much ink over it too.

killchain

imported post

The guy got sued for someone stealing a gun from him and using it to kill?

Sure, he botched the paperwork and didn't report it, but come on. That's like suing me for someone stealing my truck and crashing it into a store.

Dave Workman

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
And where was all this same attention when the TNT ran a front page story in a positive light on Cascade Arms in Olympia?  Or the one they did on a dealer of black powder guns who had been in business for a couple of decades?  And those two are just off the top of my head.

Fact.  OLD owner of Bullseye, the one who let the DC Sniper get ahold of an AR lost his FFL.  Fact.  That was recently upheld in court.  There was an ommission in the article, but since the NEW FFL has nothing to do with the OLD FFL, and has apparently made an effort to distance themselves from the OLD FFL, I see little reason to bring up the NEW and UNRELATED FFL in this piece. 

Come on Dave, next time a local paper runs a positive gun article, I expect you to spill as much ink over it too. 

This is not about the News Tribune and you know it. It's about sloppy reporting.

Tuesday morning I notice the Associated Press piece picked up on the P-I website is corrected.

heresolong

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Fact. OLD owner of Bullseye, the one who let the DC Sniper get ahold of an AR lost his FFL. Fact. That was recently upheld in court. There was an ommission in the article, but since the NEW FFL has nothing to do with the OLD FFL, and has apparently made an effort to distance themselves from the OLD FFL, I see little reason to bring up the NEW and UNRELATED FFL in this piece.
Unrelated? The guy owns the same store that they are reporting as having lost their FFL? All they had to do was change the story to say "the former owner" and it would have been both accurate and non-damaging to the current owners of the business.

Edit: In fact, going back and rereading the article, just in the interests of accuracy in my comments, they specifically say that Bull's Eye is not getting their license back. They don't even mention that it is the former owner, not the current owner, that lost his FFL.

Dave Workman

imported post

heresolong wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Unrelated? The guy owns the same store that they are reporting as having lost their FFL? All they had to do was change the story to say "the former owner" and it would have been both accurate and non-damaging to the current owners of the business.

My friend, you have nailed it.

This morning - now that my column has evidently made the rounds - they're getting the story straight without admitting they screwed up the first time.

Nitrox314

imported post

killchain wrote:

Sure, he botched the paperwork and didn't report it, but come on. That's like suing me for someone stealing my truck and crashing it into a store.

Sadly that happens too... Get this. There is a residential street (Residential in that there are houses along the busy road - they won't put speedbumps there) in Albuquerque, New Mexico. A guy in the middle of the night decides to speed, doesn't notice the corner and hits the curb sending his car flying into someone's brick wall fence. Now, the couple who live there are having problem's because apparently there is a dispute about who should be paying for the fence. Unfortunately the car was stolen, so the insurance agency wants to sue the cars real owner back in California! So it does happen... But on top of that just to expand on the story a bit more... The arguement was still ensuing, and another car hit the same curb while speeding and landed in their living room becausenoone had rebuilttheir fence.

David.Car

imported post

killchain wrote:

You do know that therehave beeninstances where the owner of a stolen vehicle has been held liable for chrashes with the vehicle if the crash happened before the vehicle was reported stolen?

It sucks, but it has and probably will continue to happen.

killchain

imported post

David.Car wrote:
killchain wrote:

You do know that therehave beeninstances where the owner of a stolen vehicle has been held liable for chrashes with the vehicle if the crash happened before the vehicle was reported stolen?

It sucks, but it has and probably will continue to happen.

Well that's some crap too. I hate stupid laws.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
This is not about the News Tribune and you know it. It's about sloppy reporting.

Tuesday morning I notice the Associated Press piece picked up on the P-I website is corrected.
No Dave, I think this is about you getting worked up over an error that later got corrected, and you twisting it into yet another media bias story which is fashionable amongst people when they have nothing else to complain about. Meanwhile, if the AP is running the corrected article, what's the biggie? An article can evolve several times. Very standard in the industry for decades.... I've seen AP articles (usually based off of reporting from member agencies) change three or four times or more as a day or several days progress and information is revised to be more accurate. I'm guessing it's a slow news day at The Examiner?

Dave Workman

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:

No Dave, I think this is about you getting worked up over an error that later got corrected, and you twisting it into yet another media bias story which is fashionable amongst people when they have nothing else to complain about.  Meanwhile, if the AP is running the corrected article, what's the biggie?  An article can evolve several times.  Very standard in the industry for decades....  I've seen AP articles (usually based off of reporting from member agencies) change three or four times or more as a day or several days progress and information is revised to be more accurate.  I'm guessing it's a slow news day at The Examiner? 

Well, you can think whatever you want.

I didn't get "worked up," I covered an egregious error that is causing no small amount of grief for the present owner of the Bull's Eye Shooter Supply. I spoke to him yesterday and today. Have you spoken to him?

I've already spoken with two other reporters who agreed with my take. That is, people in the business. Were you in on those conversations?

Yeah, the error is getting corrected, and do you know why? Because I published that column and made damn sure other news agencies got it. The corrections did not start until after that column circulated.

This isn't about bias near so much as it is about laziness, and telling half of a story.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

wow, lots of conceitedness

or maybe they researched it some moreand found they made a mistake and corrected it.

there's no I in Team,

Dave Workman

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I wouldn't shop at Bullseye if you paid me.  Beyond that, the title of your article suggests anything but you calling out laziness. 

Well, your prejudice is certainly showing through. Your personal beef with Bull's Eye has zip to do with what occurred. But it certainly explains why you have no concern about how the story as initially reported has caused the store a lot of grief.